Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I've got a 75 cb750 super sport tank I'm looking into.. I wanna dent in the sides a little and make it a really nice looking cafe tank. is this a good tank are there any other tanks to look at? will a 750 be too big for the 360?

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
41 Posts
My '74 350F tank already has indents.
If it will fit your bike, perhaps look into one of these.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah I found a couple real early 350 tanks that are sweet looking.. I've got one marked on my ebay.. I'm torn!! I'll prolly get which ever one goes for a price in my budget

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
My '74 350F tank already has indents.
If it will fit your bike, perhaps look into one of these.

1974 CB350F
1965 Lambretta Li150
2003 Stella
i second the 350F suggestion. here it is on judy's project bike:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4848

i liked it so much, i went out and got one. and i don't even own a 350.

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top. -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
278 Posts
Completely off subject, but nice tag quote, catboy. 'A Fool's Progress' is a sort of bible of manhood for me. Abbey's a genius.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
who told you "denting" the tank would make it look better. If you have an undented cb750F tank that is clean inside it is probably better to sell it and get something with "knee" dents already in it (like a cx500 tank). If you want a breadbox style tank for the 360 look at the CJ tanks, much more streamlined and longer than a stock cb/cl tank.

Personally, knee dents are kind of a posuer thing but to each his own...

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:
Completely off subject, but nice tag quote, catboy. 'A Fool's Progress' is a sort of bible of manhood for me. Abbey's a genius.
...as The Monkey Wrench Gang is for me! AFP was my introduction to Abbey. Genius, indeed!!! HAYDUKE LIVES!!!

"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
quote:

Personally, knee dents are kind of a posuer thing but to each his own...
unless you stretch a stock tank back into your crotch, i would agree. however, adding over 4 inches in legnth to my 79' tank made sitting on it similar to riding a fuckin' quarter horse! without he releif cuts, it would be virtually unrideable.

...look at the last picture:

http://www.caferacer.net/forum.html

function first, form second. it depends on the tank.

"Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top." -Edward Abbey

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
damn. i tried to insert a link to my half-assed build thread. sorry. look at the last photo there if you're interested in my comments.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

unless you stretch a stock tank back into your crotch, i would agree. however, adding over 4 inches in legnth to my 79' tank made sitting on it similar to riding a fuckin' quarter horse! without he releif cuts, it would be virtually unrideable.
I agree, if you radically change the tank dimensions to the point where it interferes with your riding position then it is a necessity and not a styling exercise it makes sense (plus any capacity you are losing you are getting back by stetching the tank). but if you are just beating knee dents into a stock tank to look cool, well then....

remember cafe racers are supposed to be functional first, like rcaebikes for the street without actually being racers. Certain TT and endurance racers needed 5 gal tanks so they made the tanks huge and had to pound big knee dents in the side to clear the riders legs. If you have a5 gallon tank on the street then I see the need for knee dents, if not then why else? if you feel the need to highlight your knees whats wrong with making some rubber knee pads like the old bsas and trumptes used to have?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok.. I'm looking for the toaster look...which makes the tank on judy's sweet. I'm into that 350 tank.. I also found an older 350 tank on ebay I'm thinking about

what I don't like about the cb tank, I have, is the harley or cb custom tank look. I would like a flat tank on top, if I could find one. like the one I have in the pic..little slope on the back. I don't like a lot of slope, judy's looks good.. also I want the tank to look bigger than my stock tank.. unfortunatly I live in a condo so I'm trying to do as little welding and grinding as possible.. I have the skills just not the facility, so stretching the tank is out for now. so I thought if I could use a 750 tank it might be a little bigger.. I'm not into the cx500 tank really.. I'm not sure why but I've been loking them up.. I like a really vintage look. so I might go with a 350 tank then.. I don't know.. I'm indecisive I appreciate the help

I don't think knee dents are poser-ish if they fit the build

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:I don't think knee dents are poser-ish if they fit the build
you mean they fill some function right? because what else is there that "fits the build" looking cool? If you think a cafe bike needs knee dents then you don't really get it. might as well be building a chopper on the discovery channel....

Look at the CJ360 tank. this is a cj360:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1976-Honda-CJ360T-CJ-360-CB360T-project-bike-CB-360_W0QQitemZ280164093877QQihZ018QQcategoryZ35599QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

it is a 360cc bike that was supposed to look like the 750 supersport.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
quote: it is a 360cc bike that was supposed to look like the 750 supersport.
... Yeah, but that damn gas cap door on top. Ick. IMHO, motorcycles ought to have a regular gas cap on top. That door does not serve any function other than style.

'76 cb750f was my first bike ever. Hated the gas cap door on that one, too.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
man clubmans and knee dents you guys get all worked up.. I happen to be building my bike for "cool" looks, and for function, and for ease of ride. every cafe is not the same... carpy has knee dents on his bikes and they look "cool". and no, though I've been told I look a lot like pauly I'm not an occ chopper builder, and if I go with a bigger tank I'm a bigger guy and may need them for ease of use. but I will prolly put them on there cause they are "cool" and I like my bike the way I like, with knee dents and clubmans!! I looked in the photo section of this site and there are lots of "cool" bikes with knee dents. they add to the appearance of the bike. I happen to not like bikes that are stock with a fiberglass tail and called a cafe! I am hand making a tail and hand denting my tank and welding up my own rearsets so as to make something that 30 years ago someone like me would have made in order to go as fast as they could. and knee dents tend to follow that era! that is why I like them NOT BECAUSE I'M a POSER, or because I'm trying to be "cool". because they fit the mindset of what I am doing that's all!

Snork offered to sell me a cj tank I'm considering buying.. I just wanted something a little taller

I like this look not exactly but the size of the tank in porportion to the bike. I'm not trying to copy it but it's just a good looking bike. also this look.

I understand my 360 will not look like either of those however I like the tall tank that is very toaster looking and have knee dents and if I could get in the ball park of that look I would be happy

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Find a plain jane (not super sport) cb750 tank & try it out for size, Poser. It's way bigger than a 360 tank - taller, wider, and longer. Might go a long way towards the look you're looking for. I'd like to see how that would look.

There's something about the low sloping top, and narrowness of a stock cb360 tank that always makes me feel like I'm riding a dopey moped.

Edited by - judeyramone on Oct 22 2007 8:43:41 PM

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok I'll look one up on ebay... as soon as I get time I'm gonna run out to the local junk yard and see what he's got he'll let me try them out on a 360 frame and see what I think.. yeah I really didn't want to start a petty argument over knee dents.. I was mainly nterested in getting some ideas on a good tank that would fit my frame well and my look I'm going for.. thanks!!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
these are some tanks I like some are too small but I like the shape

too small but cool

this is like judy's and is a nice shape

I do like this not so harley looking as my stock tank

these are all different and I understand that but they are all things I'm considering well not the little one but the shapes! this is why I'm asking for constructive help.. cause I can only afford to buy one tank!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
ok what kind of tank is this cause I love it!!!

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 22 2007 9:29:59 PM

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 22 2007 9:31:49 PM

Edited by - SUZUKISAM on Oct 22 2007 9:32:52 PM

·
Registered
74 Posts
quote:
man clubmans and knee dents you guys get all worked up.. I happen to be building my bike for "cool" looks, and for function, and for ease of ride. every cafe is not the same... carpy has knee dents on his bikes and they look "cool". and no, though I've been told I look a lot like pauly I'm not an occ chopper builder, and if I go with a bigger tank I'm a bigger guy and may need them for ease of use. but I will prolly put them on there cause they are "cool" and I like my bike the way I like, with knee dents and clubmans!! I looked in the photo section of this site and there are lots of "cool" bikes with knee dents. they add to the appearance of the bike. I happen to not like bikes that are stock with a fiberglass tail and called a cafe! I am hand making a tail and hand denting my tank and welding up my own rearsets so as to make something that 30 years ago someone like me would have made in order to go as fast as they could. and knee dents tend to follow that era! that is why I like them NOT BECAUSE I'M a POSER, or because I'm trying to be "cool". because they fit the mindset of what I am doing that's all!
I think you make a very important point, sir: You're building your own bike up with your own hands! Not just buying a cafe tail of the interweb that will be ill-fit for your bike. That seems emblematic of an era when people did such things, and it was cool to do so.

As to justifying what you're doing here, hey, you certainly don't have to explain it to me. There's no fault in being happy with your bike! Don't let anyone, ANYONE, take that away from you.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
First off I think we should get into a big pissing match over knee indentations. Then we can fuss over the "Cafe Nation" as a way of life. Cause the "man" is always tryin' to get us down. Lets bash on clubman bars some more and then Geeto can pontificate some more on why we are all Posers.
That being said, I don't really care for the knee indentation look anymore. I think it has become so overdone that it has become a cliche. If it is needed because of the size of the tank, I would opt for a smaller tank. I don't like a big tank pushing me toward the rear of the bike. When I ride hard I like to crowd the front wheel and feel like I have control of what the front end is doing.
You may want to take a look at the tank of of a Yamaha XS750. They were pretty cafe looking, as long as it was the standard 750 from around 77 or 78 not the 750 special.

Good luck and have some pity for Geeto. I suspect that NYC is loaded with more cafe posers than the rest of us will ever see and they are sucking the life blood right out of Geeto leaving him a dry husk with out a drop of cafe vitality left in him.
What is the cafe scene like where everybody is at. In Alaska and western WI it seems to be non-existent. My CB350 cafe bike might as well be an exotic from all the looks and comments it gets if I ride t anywhere.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 20 of 84 Posts