Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
in new york, post 1985 has to have blinkers no matter what. Pre 1985 you have to have them if your original bike came with them. I don't have any signals on my 1978 cb750 (but all my other bikes do). Most cops won't know the difference so if you want to run without them you can probably get away with it. I personally find it is piece of mind to have some kind of signal since the drivers here suck.

The taillight does need to be lit all the time in NY.

Jaguar...if you want that jawa, e-mail me and I'll bring it over this week.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
I have a cafe'd CB200 that wouldn't pass inspection at two different garages last spring. It's a '74 Honda with straight pipes and the stock turn signals removed. That really pissed me off.
Luckily, over the years, I've accumulated two other CB200s that I've kept stock. So, finally, I took one of the other bikes to get inspected and when it passed I just switched out the fork tube with the sticker on it. Slightly illegal, but I'm a responsible conscientious adult and there's no reason I shouldn't be allowed to ride this perfectly safe bike.

Not a solution for everyone but pretty cool when you can swing it.
sounds like you need to make friends with your inspection agent. The NY law reguarding signals is that if your pre 1985 bike originally came with them then you have to have them. In the old days I would just concoct a story that the dealers would install the signals and they didn't do it on this particualr bike when new. Now I know so many NYS inspectors I could fart an an inspection sticker comes out.

However, even though one of my bikes does not have them I do recommend them, it makes life a lot easier.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts