Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm new to the motorcycling world and I've just started my first cafe racer project. I've bought a Suzuki gs 400 from '79, but I dislike the tank on it. I recently saw a Suzuki GN 400 from '80, made by Old Empire motorcycles, in collaboration with ODFU called the "osprey". I don't know where that tank is from, but I would like to use it on my cafe racer project as well.
If anyone can identify the tank, I would like to know :)

Pictures of the bike can be found here: ?80 Suzuki GN400 ? Old Empire Motorcycles | Pipeburn.com

Or right here:
02_03_2015_osprey_OEM_02.jpg
02_03_2015_osprey_OEM_03.jpg
02_03_2015_osprey_OEM_05.jpg

Thanks in advance! ;)

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
It's so similar to a stock 79 GS400 tank, why bother?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think they're that similar.. I really don't like the extra cover on my tank and it also has a dent that drives me nuts..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
That looks pretty similar to the tank on my GS400.. I know they all look similar, but for some reason I really like the visible "folds" on the GN400 tank :/

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Really? 'cause it looks pretty sharp in the third pic I posted.. But I can't really find the tank anywhere , so I wouldn't know :/

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Satin finishes tend to reflect light in flat panels and wash out certain details. It looks like a sharp crease, and while the original GN tank does have a character line like that, but it's much more subtle than it looks. This is actually unusual as matte finishes tend to wash out detail and don't usually pick it up like a gloss or a metallic. If you are handy with body filler you can add or sharpen a character line on anything.

A good friend of mine has a Gn400. The best thing he did was rig up a solo saddle, a set of ammo can saddlebags, and paint it olive drab. Rides the thing everywhere and gives 0 fucks about it's cosmetic condition. It's just a plucky little commuter bike. I used to kid him that it was a poor mans Royal Enfield.

that pipeburn bike is pure shit. sure it looks pretty but you can't ride it anywhere. where is the fun in that? bikes that can't be ridden are useless.

chances are they just removed the spot welded mounting cups from the tank and epoxied or welded them higher up in the tank tunnel to lower the tank. It's not hard to do if you are handy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I see... But what makes the Osprey bad? And what makes a bike good? In terms of enjoyment of riding it I mean. Specifically my GS400 :p Should I focus on engine, intake, exhaust or what? This is my first bike so I don't really know what to prioritize...

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
I see... But what makes the Osprey bad? And what makes a bike good? In terms of enjoyment of riding it I mean. Specifically my GS400 :p Should I focus on engine, intake, exhaust or what? This is my first bike so I don't really know what to prioritize...
The gas tank isn't a priority unless it's filled with rust or gelled old gas.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Lack of ample suspension travel makes the bike unsafe. That's the most glaring error. The tires were chosen for the appearance of their tread pattern rather than the grip they provide. The bike is all show and no go.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I did notice the lack of suspension, but a guy in the comments said that it was still rideable... but I get that it would propably be way more uncomfortable :p
But it's not that I prioritize appearence over function, it's just that the bike I own is pretty much stock except for all the rust.. So should I not focus on the appearence to make it look like a cafe racer, or is there more to it than that?

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
I rode bicycles for 20+ years with no suspension at all and never had an issue. Kinda like power windows in a car, if you haven't got them you don't notice it, but once you get them it's hard to live without them. Suspensions are overrated, those guys who buy $1000 shocks and fancy Swedish forks? Posers.

·
Registered
5,527 Posts
There you go, don't ride your motorcycle any faster then bicycle speed, stick to smooth roads and you will never have a problem ;) because after all, suspension is all about comfort and has nothing to do with the way a parked motorcycle handles.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I'd like to offer you the opportunity to seek your own answer.Look up the term "static sag" and "rake and trail". Those two terms have everything to do with why that bike fails.

If it is your first bike, you need a bike that is safe to ride, not look all rude and stanced out sitting still. Who gives a fuck what the bike looks like sitting still, unless it's for static display.

I don't know. I like to ride mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts