Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently picked up a 1969 CB450. i'm in the middle of striping parts off to get ready to make it look a little better.
what do you guys make of these forks?
they don't look factory and there is some sort of steering dampener on there.
They are 35mm and about 4 inches longer then stock i'd say. The fender also doesn't bolt on correctly.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like typical JC Whitney chopper stuff from the day. The external spring conversion overcame the issue of the stock springs not reaching the tops of the extended fork tubes. The steering dampener is stock Honda CL.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Looks like typical JC Whitney chopper stuff from the day. The external spring conversion overcame the issue of the stock springs not reaching the tops of the extended fork tubes. The steering dampener is stock Honda CL.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The bottom portion of those forks look stock and the damper was stock on all 450's until '70. If you're ditching the set-up I'd love to have it!

·
Registered
106 Posts
The bottom portion of those forks look stock and the damper was stock on all 450's until '70. If you're ditching the set-up I'd love to have it!

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did the CB450 come with 35mm forks stock? the top of the forks looks like someone grinded on them to get it to fit into the top triple tree. and on the second to last picture, check out the rubber bushings on top of the forks and inside the triple. to me it looks like they put larger forks on it that didn't quite fit and they made them fit by getting ghetto.
the fork tubes may be stock as they are definetely made for drum brake, but why doesn't the fender bolt up? only one bolt on each side lines up.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
did the CB450 come with 35mm forks stock? the top of the forks looks like someone grinded on them to get it to fit into the top triple tree. and on the second to last picture, check out the rubber bushings on top of the forks and inside the triple. to me it looks like they put larger forks on it that didn't quite fit and they made them fit by getting ghetto.
the fork tubes may be stock as they are definetely made for drum brake, but why doesn't the fender bolt up? only one bolt on each side lines up.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The early CB / CL 450's had the external springs like pictured (through K2). They look to be the stock arrangement with longer fork tubes (tweek bar looks to be adding more spring pressure).
The early forks also had the top fork bolts that clamped the tube to the top clamp (not the typical top clamp with pinch bolts to squeese the fork tube). Steering damper looks stock also.
The very early CB fork sliders had a threaded section (where the dust boot would go on the later models) for a metal cover that held the fork seal in and the exposed fork springs usually had a metal cover over them. (the CL usually had a rubber bellows).
DG

Here's a link that I use often to identify parts.

http://www.babbittsonline.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/parts.aspx

Fill out the info in the left hand box and it will take you to the schematics and parts list.

EDIT:
The fender looks aftermarket or "other than a CL 450". The stock fender should have 2 braces that mount to the tabs on the sliders. The early CL had a built in braces (on the fender) that mounted to the top fender bolts and the CB had braces that mounted to the tabs near the axle.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The early CB / CL 450's had the external springs like pictured (through K2). They look to be the stock arrangement with longer fork tubes (tweek bar looks to be adding more spring pressure).
The early forks also had the top fork bolts that clamped the tube to the top clamp (not the typical top clamp with pinch bolts to squeese the fork tube). Steering damper looks stock also.
The very early CB fork sliders had a threaded section (where the dust boot would go on the later models) for a metal cover that held the fork seal in and the exposed fork springs usually had a metal cover over them. (the CL usually had a rubber bellows).
DG

Fill out the info in the left hand box and it will take you to the schematics and parts list.

EDIT:
The fender looks aftermarket or "other than a CL 450". The stock fender should have 2 braces that mount to the tabs on the sliders. The early CL had a built in braces (on the fender) that mounted to the top fender bolts and the CB had braces that mounted to the tabs near the axle.

·
Registered
854 Posts
quote:

Mr Fischer i love the use of the Babbitt's link! best site out there!

i don't know what you are all talking about...that looks Honda OEM to me. even the headlights were factory to something.

but really, i dig the exterior spring, not so much on the square headlight.

·
Registered
854 Posts
quote:

Mr Fischer i love the use of the Babbitt's link! best site out there!

i don't know what you are all talking about...that looks Honda OEM to me. even the headlights were factory to something.

but really, i dig the exterior spring, not so much on the square headlight.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Heres another link, they dont have Suzuki, but it is another good one to have

http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/yamaha.aspx?yamaha_motorcycle_parts

The headlights were an after market chopper set up and bolted to the bottom triple clamp. I had a bunch of the brackets at one time and I thought I had a picture, but I must have deleted it.

http://www.geocities.com/fischervintagecycle/CLchopper.html

This bike in the above link originaly had external fork springs, and I replaced them with internal springs. I did it years ago and I don't remember all the details on how I did it (or any details). I probably mixed and matched with parts that were just "hanging around" the shop.
DG

·
Registered
227 Posts
Heres another link, they dont have Suzuki, but it is another good one to have

http://www.powersedge.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/yamaha.aspx?yamaha_motorcycle_parts

The headlights were an after market chopper set up and bolted to the bottom triple clamp. I had a bunch of the brackets at one time and I thought I had a picture, but I must have deleted it.

http://www.geocities.com/fischervintagecycle/CLchopper.html

This bike in the above link originaly had external fork springs, and I replaced them with internal springs. I did it years ago and I don't remember all the details on how I did it (or any details). I probably mixed and matched with parts that were just "hanging around" the shop.
DG

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Early CB450s had 33mm forks - you can tell those because the top clamp fits over the top of the fork and wouldn't allow you to raise or lower the fork tube height (much). That's the clamp you have.

Newer (K3 and onward I think) CB450s had 35mm forks. Front ends from CB650s and CB750s (pre-80) will nearly bolt right on, but will require either a 3/16" (roughly) spacer (CB650) or stem shortening (CB750) otherwise they're a bit long.

Those look like the stock fork sliders with external springs attached.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
Early CB450s had 33mm forks - you can tell those because the top clamp fits over the top of the fork and wouldn't allow you to raise or lower the fork tube height (much). That's the clamp you have.

Newer (K3 and onward I think) CB450s had 35mm forks. Front ends from CB650s and CB750s (pre-80) will nearly bolt right on, but will require either a 3/16" (roughly) spacer (CB650) or stem shortening (CB750) otherwise they're a bit long.

Those look like the stock fork sliders with external springs attached.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well this one is a k2 so thats why the forks had to be grinded down to use the k2 top triple tree. i wonder what they used for the lower tree...

1 - 20 of 37 Posts