Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just found this forum last night and thought i would join up. I have a 1972 CB500four Cafe thats in pretty good shape and rocking around 4,800 original miles. I plan to go with carpy's style with a more beefy tail section/fairing(the one i have now looks to drag bike-ish) Well heres some pics of it.

The bike as it sat when my uncle GAVE it to me :D

Repainted and polished engine

How it sat 2 years ago(not running) The bars didnt stay that low, i have them touching the bottom of the top clamp now for more comfort.

Almost how it looks now except a shorter foam pad seat and taller more forward fiberglass rear fairing.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
enough with this "carpy style" crap. Carpy didn't invent cafe racers. might as well tell people you are building it occ style. build it your style.

welcome. Nice to see people taking risks and doing their own tailsections in metal. Give the bike a junkyard vibe.

your bike needs rearsets.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Man, that thing looks clean! The stock bits look like they are in great shape.

Welcome dude, I'm pretty new here too with a 71 500. Hope you get your tail section sorted out here soon, and +1 to getting some rearsets.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
where can i get rear sets that fit??? And i guess i should have said dunstall style not carpy lol...I just cant decide on a rear fairing.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
while I can't comment on whether airtech's stuff is compatible with modern fuels, the issue is with the amount of ethanol that is put into regular pump gas. Certain fiberglass resins are not compatable with the ethanol and will dissolve over time. There are certain types are resins that are compatible. What you can do is call airtech and ask them what type of resin they use, after you have searched the archives here (since this topic has been addressed before). Monkey is our resident fiberglass expert, maybe he will chime in with the type of compatible resin.

as for rearsets, raask have some for the cb550. I am not sure if tarozzi make some for the cb550 but you might want to look up their application chart on their website. Of course you could always make your own using the passenger peg mounts and some generic bolt through controls (a good solution if you are over 6 ft.

also I am not sure why you lowered your bike. looks good but doesn't do dick for the handling and your probably will scrape the hell out of that mac header if you ride aggressivly.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joe c

thats one of my favorite 500 colors.

clean bike!

jc
I have to agree that gold is an awsome color - espically with the 500 paint scheme. The green they had also was super sharp.

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
and the root beer. (hows that for a gto reference?)

at englishtown this weekend it was mopar weekend. some really amazing cars. and all mopar drags.

jc

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by joe c

and the root beer. (hows that for a gto reference?)

at englishtown this weekend it was mopar weekend. some really amazing cars. and all mopar drags.

jc
buddy of mine has a roadrunner, and when he still lived here in NY we would head out to the mopar day at e-town. Some amazing cars. I have never been a chryco fan but I still kick myself for not jumping all over that 1973 challenger that was offered to me for $3500 back in 1997. It was a rally 318ci 4 speed in white with the stock strobe graphics and flawless. It was cheap because it wasn't a '70 or '71, it was a 318 car, and it was white. Man I miss those days. Someday when I become a gazillionaire I am going probably buy a mopar...maybe even a hemi.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It doesnt really rub at all, i can go easily over speed bumps, my pegs scrape when im really pushing in the mountains but thats about it. It just looked weird like the rear was sagging before with the front end at stock height so i dropped them.

So nobody on here has one of those rickman style tanks on a 500/550?

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
caswell makes a tank coating that you can put in any fiberglass tank to seal it from the gas. i used it on my dunstall tank with success. it will add about 2 pounds to the tank, but the resin will stop disolving in your gas and clogging you carbs that you just cleaned the week before. One thing to think about before you get a glass tank versus a steel or metal tank....what would happen if you went down and the tank hit the pavment? would it just crack and let fuel go everywhere, or would it dent like steel and not set you on fire? i don't know, but that thought crosses my mind everytime i ride my bike with the glass tank hard. it tends to slow me down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
yea...so ill be riding "napalm on wheels"

Most of the time when you go down, your rarely still near the bike so i say let there be fuel on the ground...But on a serious note, i see what your saying and it makes sense. Ill keep the Caswell coatings in mind, thanks.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 72Sohc4

It doesnt really rub at all, i can go easily over speed bumps, my pegs scrape when im really pushing in the mountains but thats about it. It just looked weird like the rear was sagging before with the front end at stock height so i dropped them.

So nobody on here has one of those rickman style tanks on a 500/550?
the pic you posted is not a rickman style tank, it is a cr750 Honda Factory race bike replica.

Plenty of companies made tanks for the cb500-550 but none of them look like that. If you are looking at rickman specific tanks (like the ones airtech offers) keep in mind rickman tanks were designed originally to fit rickman frames only (doesn't mean they won;t fit - they just are not a gauranteed fit).

Somewhere on airtech's site is a diagram with the measurements of a lot of their tanks and seats. Use these measurements to figure out if the tank will fit. You are not in bolt on territory now so you will have to fab mounts.

you seem to be hell bent on spending the big money for a custom tank. while I don't blame you, as long as you are going to spend, spend for better than airtech. Benji makes a tank for the 550 and even has a matching seat that works with the back of the tank for a smooth fit. At $650 for just the tank it is more expensive than an airtech, but probably cheaper than aluminum and better quality than airtech. $820 nets you the tank and the seat prior to paint. If you are like me this seems like a deal on custom bodywork alone, espically as trick as that, and double if you are going to save the money on paintwork and do it yourself.

http://benjiescaferacer.com/fbglass.html
http://benjiescaferacer.com/combo2.html

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
You might also look at ohiocaferacers - the guy that runs that site (he posts here too) makes tanks out of aluminum very similar to that.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:Originally posted by 72Sohc4

yea...so ill be riding "napalm on wheels"

Most of the time when you go down, your rarely still near the bike so i say let there be fuel on the ground...But on a serious note, i see what your saying and it makes sense. Ill keep the Caswell coatings in mind, thanks.
This is a lot more serious concern than you make light of. It isn't so much as gas being everywhere but gas being on you...next to a potential heat source...or a spark.

In the 1970s kawasaki had to change their gas cap design because of an accident where an H1 rider t-boned a car. The cap flipped open and the rider was doused in fuel which subsequently ignited and he was badly burned. This was from a cap - not a ruptured tank - but I think you get the idea.

That being said I run a fiberglass tank on the street also.

sounds like you have had your fair share of accidents to say what happens when you fall off a bike - or do you just watch a lot of TV? I can tell you first hand you don't always leave the bike and sometimes the bike runs you over.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yea i have only rear ended a car that pulled out in front of me from a median on a highway, i definatly left the bike lol, looked like the man at the circus who gets fired from the canon!

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
that's a nice bike dude! fuggin clean!

...with those bars, that seat, and that lower stance, not having rearsets just makes it look an unfinished fashion accessory. especially as you're mentioning liking the CR replica package. that's what's so douchey about carpy's shit. form must follow function; anything shy of that just makes it look like an attempt at creating an image, which is fine for about 90% of people who don't have a clue and think your shit "looks" cool, but around here, it's impossible to hide. good luck!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the two times I went down on the street I didn't go to far from the bike. The first time I got pinned under the left side of a Harley Fat Boy, the second time I went over the handlebars and the bike ran me over. I still have that t-shirt with the tire mark.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts