Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this a few weeks ago when I rented a leaf blower, and had to take it back because it wouldn't start. The tech put one of these on, and saw it had no spark. I went to NAPA, and sure enough, for $18.00, it's mine.

Hook it up to the plug, other end to the plug wire. Kick, hit the starter, whatever. You 'll see if there is a signal going to the plug. And how strong the signal is. Now, I understand it won't tell you if you have a bad plug.

But for you cb350 guys and others, I can't tell you how many times we've said "pull the plug, ground it, and let's see if theres spark." Here's an easy way to do it. No more pulling plugs. I expect every Wanker to go out and order one of these. It was in stock here at my local NAPA dealer.

Anyone else with cool winter tools?

PS. Parks, you look soooooo ggooood in those leathers. so skinny. so svelt.

Edited by - imslow on Jan 03 2008 8:11:47 PM

·
Registered
13 Posts
That is cool but with a 2 stroke it'd only tell about 1/4 of the story... Still neat though

"These bikes always run best just before they blow up."

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Funny you should mention NAPA. I work for NAPA. Plant maintenance at the LA distribution center. We have a store attached to the DC. Make a long story short. New manager, clean freak. Dumps a 220v MIG welder, on wheels, gas cylinder, 100ft elec. cord. All working. He says he's cleaning the store, doesn't wnat it in there, its mine. I don't have 220v at my bench. In fact there is only one spot in the DC that has 220v. I tell him that and he says take it home. Just get it out of here. No sweat! Got 220v in my garage. Nice score!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Evil,

Found similar spark testers in Advance Auto parts last year and bought every one they had for $10 a pop. They are a freaking life saver. I was having a spark problem with the 79 750F and it helped me trace the problem back through the harness. They are not a replacement for pulling the plug because if you have a fouled plug you wont know till you pull it, but if the plugs are clean invaluable. The best is you can ride with it on, we used ti this year to diagnose an ignition advance problem on my dad's harley - would never have found it without running the engine under load while looking at the spark.

Steve,

Considering some of the triples use surface gap plugs, those spark testers are as good as you are going to get. still reading plugs is always a must....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
yeah, that one EVIL found saved my butt with my truck last year. the cool thing about it is the window that you can see (or not see) your spark while still sitting in the vehicle playing with your key switch, or in my case the computer. turns out i had a bad computer, but while trying to figure things out i crossed a connection in the "black box" with the contact on my multimeter and was able to see a spark run through my ignition wire with EVIL's tool. that confirmed that the problem was with the computer...which allowed me to make it down to VIR last spring.

otherwise, i use this little insert/false spark plug. the clip grounds to the motor and you can see and hear the spark.

found at http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/shop/KD-2757.html for six bucks.

-tt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts