Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to start working on this CB500T i have and I stopped at the 2nd screw. Those damned things dont want to move. After 10 minutes of trying not to round out the heads i decided i would ask one of the guys i work with for his dremel so i could cut the heads for a slotted screwdriver. So this guy tells me to buy an impact driver instead. An impact what? Well i stopped and got this guy http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00947641000P?pid=00947641000 and now my life has changed. truly amazing.

My reason for this thread is to ask, what other secret tools are out there? What other tools are overlooked by the average joe? What is only needed 1% of the time, but is worth its weight in gold?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
No secret, but I find my (well, catboy's actually) impact driver is twice as effective when used in conjunction with my propane torch.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I use my set of "picks" a lot, they look like little dentist tools, and i use them a lot. i call the impact screwdriver the "magic screwdriver" because it is so great. other than that, wobble head extentions and ratched wrenches come in handy, but they are kinda common

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
an impact screwdriver with good bits and alittle heat is the way to go

·
Registered
45 Posts
Without question the best tool investment I've ever made (and I have a LOT of tools), is this wheel bearing tool from pitposse. These guys are great, and all the tools they sell are first rate, AND are available for a song.[8D]
http://www.pitposse.com/whbereset.html

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
1/4 inch drive fine tooth snap on swivel (like gimbal'd) head ratchet at 75 bucks near 20 years ago

and over a g worth of goodies to hook to it depending on the mood

but I do like my cheapy impact driver

although not as much as my air impact guns

have from little all the way to 1 inch drives

not much better for disassembly

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
That's the same Sears impact driver I've been using for years. Hasn't failed me yet.

That wheel bearing set is now on my tool purchase list. I get tired of bunging up Honda internal axle/bearing spacers doing it my way.

My favorite tool is an accessory....my magnifying visor. You've seen me wearing this crazy frashizzle at the track. Although my distance vision is great...I can't see shit up close. Can't live without this baby, working carbs and very small stuff....don't guess, get one.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
569 Posts
I was adjusting the valves on one of my 160's last night, using my trusty old impact taking off the dymamo cover, ...and I looked at it and thought I've had this thing since before I worked at Bultaco of Sloatsberg...'71/'72, a long time ago. I also am always finding new uses for the dremel.

d.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Shut Up John.

...you're just jealous cause I can spell Sloatsberg.

d.

·
Registered
699 Posts
how many uses are there for a dremel? those things are more handy than dubya dee fawdy!!

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
Has anybody found a snap ring pliers that will open enough to take the snap ring on the rear sprocket of a Honda? Specifically for the CB350. I've got a couple of different snap ring pliers but to take off the snap ring on the rear sprocket I've got to bend them beyond what is natural.
Craig

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the impact driver is hardly overlooked or secret tool since it is mentioned in almost every thread involving fastners.

Liquid wrench or PB blaster penetrating oil. WD40 is for suckers, use the right tool (or chemical) for the job. As far as I know unless you rode your bike in the rain and want to dry out the electronics there are very very few uses for WD40 on a motorcycle.

One secret tool that I try to buy every one I can find is a factory honda cb series plug wrench. Why you ask? well there are few sizes of socket that actually fit in the narrow confines of the head at the center cylinders of a honda inline 4 even if they are the right size. It is not really a secret since your honda should have come with one, and they are still available from honda.

I happen to like those motion pro tools that hold the motor sprocket in place when you are doing engine work with the chain off. I forget what it is called but it is useful.

snap ring pliers +1

I happen to thing an air compressor or an air tank of some kind is useful garage fodder.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Geeto, you are exactly write on the WD-40! if you want to free something up, that PB blaster is good, but i use Aerokroil. We get it here at the chemical plant i work at, and it is awesome! Motion Pro has a ton of cool tools, i love their T-handle wrenches. I used one of my favorite tools sunday, my new set of tire irons. They are moose racing tire irons, but they are made like the ZIP-TY irons, with a very comfortable grip, makes tire changing sooo much easier! I also work on cars too, and my favorite tool for working on cars is my ingresol rand 3/8" drive air ratchet!

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote:Originally posted by craig641

Has anybody found a snap ring pliers that will open enough to take the snap ring on the rear sprocket of a Honda? Specifically for the CB350. I've got a couple of different snap ring pliers but to take off the snap ring on the rear sprocket I've got to bend them beyond what is natural.
Craig
Craig,
I bought two pair of dedicated snap ring pliers from McMaster. One inside type, one outside type. No stupid thingies to change and large enough to pull the sprocket o-ring on a 175 anyway...and they make larger ones.
JohnnyB

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
quote:Originally posted by inline4

Without question the best tool investment I've ever made (and I have a LOT of tools), is this wheel bearing tool from pitposse. These guys are great, and all the tools they sell are first rate, AND are available for a song.[8D]
http://www.pitposse.com/whbereset.html
Just got mine a day or so ago, used it, works great. Very nice tool for the price. Saves a lot of time and damage to parts.
JohnnyB

1 - 19 of 19 Posts