Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wanting to build a new set of wheels this winter. My stock rear is a 18x2.15 w/a 4.00-18 tire. I'm thinking a 2.50 rim so I can run a 120 or 130 tire. I have an inch clearance chain side, about 3/4s to brake stay(easy move).

Stock front is a 19x1.85. I don't think I can go any wider and not sure I'd want to anyway. So I'm thinking an 18x1.85 front rim.

Anybody have an opinion as to the net effect of this combination? It doesn't need more rear tire that's purely an aesthetic thing. The shorter front, looks, and to counteract the effect of the fatter rear. I want it to ride just like it does now only look better.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
Ratty,
I run a 2.15 rim front and rear on my CB350 race bike with stock width front forks. I have the 130x18 am23 avon rear and the 110x18 am22 avon front. The 130 x18 am23 is designed to work on the 2.15 rim. It works and fits well. I have the 130v18 Bridgestone BT45 on a 2.15 rim on my Seca550. IT DOES NOT WORK. It might be ok on the street but it looks too rounded, is a bitch to get on the narrow rim, and slides all over on the track. The 110 on the front fits fine except I had to trim the fender a little between the fork legs to get tire clearance. Depending on what bike you are doing this to, you may want to consider changing to modern 17 in wheels from a later model sport bike for the best selection of tires. I have Honda CBR600 wheels on my Seca right now. I am going to put them on my CB350 and put a set of F2 wheels that I have on the Seca. I got both sets off E-bay for under $150. They are all over the place and can be found priced right.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Ken,

I'm doing this to my GT550. The point is to get shouldered aluminum rims, a fatter rear tire, and lower the front a bit, purely looks. I'd like it to ride exactly as it does now when I'm done.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I put 2.50 X 18 (rear) / 2.50 X 19 (front) aluminum rims on my CB 750 and they handle fine. I used a GL 1000 front end (it is wider than the stock fork set up) and an aftermarket fender.
Providing that you have enough clearance, you shouldnt have a problem with the wider rims.
DG

A link to the bike (some pages have the next link at the top, some are at the bottom)

http://www.geocities.com/fischervintagecycle/BlueDunstall.html

·
Registered
687 Posts
quote:
I put 2.50 X 18 (rear) / 2.50 X 19 (front) aluminum rims on my CB 750 and they handle fine. I used a GL 1000 front end (it is wider than the stock fork set up) and an aftermarket fender.
Providing that you have enough clearance, you shouldnt have a problem with the wider rims.
DG

A link to the bike (some pages have the next link at the top, some are at the bottom)

http://www.geocities.com/fischervintagecycle/BlueDunstall.html
...connoisseur of slack...

Edited by - snorkelfork on Sep 17 2007 3:49:21 PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts