Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got some cool bars on my RX50 but the goofy huge wheels have to go

I will be doing major surgery on the frame to put it's geometry more like the YSR50

I am sure I can cut the skinny but light forks down without a problem

but the Puch wheels I thought I'd use

well they feel too heavy to suit me

I'm thinking 15 or 16 inch wheels will be fine so any idea as to what would be the hot ticket for front and rear spoked wheels..... wouldn't be dead set against mags but kinda want to keep it simple with drum brakes

two drum mag rears? off what? spokes? whatever

sprocket offsets and such don't scare me, if it can be made to fit and work, I can make it happen but fall on easy would be nice even if it meant a fork/tree change and minor swingarm surgery

thanks

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd suggest looking closely at your tire selection for those size wheels before you do anything drastic. 'specially 15", I can't think of a tire that would be suitable for that size. Are the original wheels spoke or mag? If spoked, it's not too tough to lace on some new rims.

FR

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, that is why I am asking

want racey type streetable tires but don't really care if the DOT approves

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
I'd just look at Dennis Kirk or Parts Unlimited online catalogs to see what tires are available in those sizes...

FR

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
HackA,
I think the early Honda Dream 160 came with 16" wheels. The front drum is a DLS so I think it may be heavier than you want. The early CB/CL 100/125 had smallish 17 wheels on some of them. I think they varied from year to year and model to model. The CR80 had 17" front wheels and you could get either drum or disc depending on the year. They had a sls front brake and were fairly light with an alloy rim. You could get a pair of front drum model ones and make a cush drive assembly that you could fix to the hub that would handle the power output of the RX50.

Ken

·
Registered
10 Posts
The 305 Dreams (CA77) had 16" wheels too.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a 160 that looks like a Dream, not sure what size wheels it has or what the front brake is, I'll have to go visit it.

I haven't really gotten my head wrapped around this project as of yet and it is way out of my "comfort zone" having been an 16rear/18Ror F/19F/21F and a few scatter 17'd rides kinda bike guy for so many years and the only thing similar I've ever done was a hotrod Z50 which provided it's own answers to scale as well as tire/wheel combos.

The Triumph Bopper (although I'm sure I should call it a cafe racer ;) ) nearing completion in my shop is way on the other end of the spectrum as it is scaled to fit a man my height on up to 6'5" and I'm thinking it actually pulls it off very well. We'll see I suppose when my neighbor, Mr Warbucks, that sat on it yesterday, either plunks down the geetus for it or passes.

I want to do this RX50 where it is really only fitted to a very small adult or child 8ish and up but would be nice for it to feel right, handle well, and actually stop effectively.

I recall one of the most terrifying small bikes I ever rode was a further than factory tweaked YZ80....... a person really can be too big for a bike and that tiny thing would sail on past 65 with me on it and no hope of actually controlling it but more like just along for the ride with my fingers crossed.

The Z50 hotrod was scary, for me anyhow.... fearless kids loved it), too as it would do about 65 and had less brake and even tinier proportions.

Anyhow, the more I've looked at this bike, the more it's appeared to me that if the right stuff exists, and I'm sure it does, it could be transformed into a bonafide scaled down street brawler that was confidence inspiring for a young or small person made of the "right stuff". I'm not looking to breathe on the engine other than to make it where I'm not being bothered by a future owner when it pops. So it doesn't have to be YSR tuned or anything like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts