Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cherry 19" spoked drum brake front wheel wanted for 450 lb 100 hp Brit-look retro-rocket; project prefer boranni or shouldered akront ; 18" back wheel wanted too - cable preferred

thanks

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
cherry 19" spoked drum brake front wheel wanted for 450 lb 100 hp Brit-look retro-rocket; project prefer boranni or shouldered akront ; 18" back wheel wanted too - cable preferred

thanks
has anyone had experience with the 7" 2ls units from India? Royal Enfield but marketed for most classic Brits. They look good but do they work. Anyone had theirs ar4ced-in?
AHMRA'ed?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
I looked at them several years ago for a project XS650.
Shoes are pretty narrow as they are based on 1950's design (unless there is now a new version?)
You could probably get a Honda CB72/77 front wheel easier and build it with a shouldered rim although Boranni and Akront are pretty expensive.If your going to that expense though it would be better for a heavy bike to get at least a 4ls set up (double sided TLS) Another alternative could be a BMW R series TLS as they are easier to find than Suzuki 4LS (and much cheaper)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at them several years ago for a project XS650.
Shoes are pretty narrow as they are based on 1950's design (unless there is now a new version?)
You could probably get a Honda CB72/77 front wheel easier and build it with a shouldered rim although Boranni and Akront are pretty expensive.If your going to that expense though it would be better for a heavy bike to get at least a 4ls set up (double sided TLS) Another alternative could be a BMW R series TLS as they are easier to find than Suzuki 4LS (and much cheaper)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Just providing some alternatives as no one had replied.
An early CB450 would have a TLS and 19" rim, maybe someone has a former 'race' wheel with alloy rim? 450 would be 40 spoke so stronger than more common 36 spoke on smaller Honda's

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi Crazy PJ I remember you from the XS650 Garage back when Pamco Pete was putting together a dwell effect points eliminator mounted on a baby food jar lid. Im building a Black Lightening homage from a SV1000 S So, 4 sure that aint the brake for that m/c. The bike should weigh maybe 20 lbs over what a stock xs1 did and put out 90 hp thanks for looking. BTW i laced a brake like yours to an akront on one of my 650's, betor forks too.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Honda carried that wheel over on the CL when the CB got a disc. Suzuki GT 550/750 has a pretty good drum front too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts