Cafe Racer Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
i see now what you're after. 65 horsepower wears the old ones out pretty quick. but they're a blast while your doing it. i know someone in australia who went the other way

i think he's getting 80-something out of this 880cc BSA. but theres been a lot of work to do it, and i dont know what he expects in longevity.

if youre looking towards using that 90 horsepower, you might find even 4LS brakes pretty scary.
Those Pony's will never break a sweat with me in the saddle. I'll maybe see 130 once ( I say ominously) somewhere East of LA - flat and straight -and probably never ride the twisties hard enough to fade the brakes. I'm 75 and my apex-carving, peg-dragging days are over. But - Oh Baby - rolling that throttle on exiting a sweeper!! Bliss.
But you don't stretch the throttle cables for long on this machine in the motorcycle world I live in.

Though my first love was BSA, the example here doesn't suit me. It doesn't have The Look. When did BSA ever use a perimeter frame? If I wanted a fast BSA it would be the Rocket III. Right next to my dream Norton (or maybe the other way around).If I wanted a PRETTY BSA it would be the Lightening Rocket - gosh they are gorgeous.
where will I put the Vellocette.....

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
122 Posts
lol

thats a 90s suzuki RGV 250 with an A65 shoehorned in. he did tbe big bore casting himself, except for actually pouring the iron.

if you really want a rocket 3, i know of a one owner 1970 for sale right now, in new york. owner was a dealer who uncrated it himself and decided to keep it. US$9000 . been sitting since he died in 2010. wife is selling it. no more info than that

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
my list of wants is bit longer than my list of can gets but that triple is a rare find American Pickers will soon be at the door!

your BSA guy has serious skills. I spent the morning moving the rear-set back brakes up to the "standard" positioned footpegs that I fabbed up. taxed MY skillset

·
Registered
most everything i ride leaks oil
122 Posts
you cant own em all. life isnt long enough. ive considered putting a 650 triumph motor into a 2000s-something 250 ninja, but i have too many projects now to get em all done.

but the vincents were beautiful. if thats what youre wanting to emulate, you cant go wrong.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
That A65 in RGV chassis is inspired.
RGV is a bit 'twitchy' in my experience (I preferred handling of the parallel twin RG250) but with an 880 motor probably close to weight of original water-cooled lump will be a ton of fun

21 - 27 of 27 Posts