Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here is one for you all to mull over. From your previous experience when does it switch over from being a buyers market to a sellers market for bikes in your area? Show your work.

Personally, I have always noticed that the switch begins to happen right at the end of march beginning of april, right when spring starts to hit here. But there is also a lot of gun jumping where bikes flood to market halfway though march that kinda drops the prices one last final time before the big push upward into primary riding/selling season.

All this has me thinking because I was surfing ebay and based on my rudimentary calculations the later (73-76) cb750Ks (a bike which I am quite fond of and whose values have been on the rise) may actually cross the $2500 mark as the average selling price. Of course I failed math but it is sound based on the over the winter values I have been seeing shelled out for these bikes. Sadly it may still be some time before the F bikes and the 77-78Ks make it there but hey you can't win them all.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
quote:

"when does it switch over from being a buyers market to a sellers market for bikes in your area? Show your work."

what are we, just a bunch of para-legals working for you?
-parks

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
funny....actually I was just trying to have a conversation on this board where I didn't have to call somebody gay or tell them they need out of the gene pool.

naw, I was just curious since I have always been facinated by the classic bike and car market. I figured it would be good info to have on this site for the newbies that there is actually a good time to buy and a good time to sell.

Also it affects us as cafe racers since it looks like a lot of the "disposable" early 1970s big bore jap stuff is slowly heading out of the reach of the backyard mechanic. A cb750 is a bike you used to get for $100 running, now they are going into the $1000s, T500s, H1s, H2s, KZ900s (z1 espically), GS1000s are getting out of reach. All that is going to be left is a bunch of 1980s bikes and even they are starting to climb in value (CB1100F, early gsxr750s, etc).

I have also noted a fluctuation in buying lately around here, that for some reason there is a little spike of bike buying at the end of january, where as february is pretty much a dead month.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Considering I haven’t had a fear of being called gay, fat, or dumb, although dumb best describes me, since the sixth grade, I guess I'll chime in.

Here in the southern Central Valley of California we don’t experience particularly harsh winters. In the higher elevations of the hills we get ice in certain places, but snow and excessive wet weather are rarely an issue. Because of this the riding season is relatively long, going generally from March until the beginning of Nov when the temperatures start dropping from the 100's. Fortunately, around here most "real men" ride Hardley Ablesons, so for the rest of us "boys" the Japanese bikes get bought and sold without much notice, yet. I also take into consideration lots of people will be getting tax refunds soon, and they will be using these funds this to put towards purchase a bike and offset cost.

So the market for motorbikes in my general area is about to heat up. I figure lots of pictures, a clean motorbike, and stories of "canyon carving" and the looks from the ladies will help move the merchandise.

Laurence

'71 Honda CB500/4
'81 Honda CB125S
'01 Suzuki SV650
---------------------
http://www.SoCal86.com

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
You need to become best friends with Detroit Craigslist. The seasonal market no longer applies here. It's a buyer's market on every-fucking-thing - cars, boats, motorcycles, planes, houses. The employment situation here could not be worse. Everybody's selling off their stuff, since they all lost their jobs. The word is that Pfizer, which just closed a major research facility 1/2hr away, subsidised all their displaced workers' mortgages to the tune of $100,000, dropping the average housing market by the same amount.

Not much vintage Japanese motorcycle scene around these parts - It's not a motorcycle unless it's a big stinkin' Harley. At any rate, $2500 (it seems to me) would buy a pretty damn sweet, almost mint cb750 around here these days.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
Geeto...it must be selling season....remember those CB77 carbs I was trying to unload on ebay a few months ago and they didn't sell. I just listed them again with a "buy it now" of $50 and they sold in five minutes....literally five minutes. The dude already paid for them via paypal. Course they were perfect condition "Round" float bowl carbs....probably worth $150 to the right person....but I got my $50 so I'm happy.
JohnnyB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts