Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been hitting up Craigslist, eBay, recycler and cycletrader and I just can't find a reasonable price for an older Honda. I don't really care if its a cb165, 350, 450, etc. It seems that every ad I find regardless of the bike even running has the title "Cafe" in there and has a price to match :(

I've been hitting up yard/estate sales as well to hopfully find someone who doesn't know saying "Cafe" garners a $1,000.00 price bump.

Is there a secret stash of bikes that someone wouldn't mind cluing me in to? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
cafe's just a word. Spring/summer is generally the wrong time of year to go looking. The same bikes someone was asking 400 for in the late fall are 1200 bucks now that the weather is nice. Doesn't mean you have to pay it, just people capitalizing on it.

don't buy a bike with cafe in the title. buy a bike that you can strip down and make into what you want.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
quote:Originally posted by borzwazie

cafe's just a word...

don't buy a bike with cafe in the title. buy a bike that you can strip down and make into what you want.
I agree 100% I'm just saying down here in southern California any bike thats pre 80's gets a vintage and cafe tag regardless of quality.

Just been getting frustrated, maybe I'll just wait till fall when people start thinking about storage.

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
san fran is a treasure trove of bikes - I watch craiglist there all the time and get depressed.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
You need to expand your horizons. I just went to San Diego Craigsist and found about 6 good fun project prospects for $1000 or less. How about a XL500R? $500. KZ1000 police bike, FZ750, TT500, that was just a quick look. It doesn't have to be an old Honda.

Ken

·
Registered
116 Posts
San Diego doesnt have sh!t. I look at the craigslist for allllll of california (i live in bakersfield) and san diego never has a thing. The other guys are right. Theres tons of of bikes in the san fran area always, but keep an eye out in san luis, santa barbara, ventura, and all of LA usually. I only search sub-1000 and find bikes all the time. You may need to expand your horizons as far as bikes are concerned. Find something with a nice tubular frame, spoked wheels, and squarish tank, regardless of make.

You'll find something soon, you just gotta be willing to drive a couple-few hours to get it.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
salvage yards, dumps, recycling centers. Sometimes people have bikes stored in their houses for a long time and suddenly they need to get rid of them, like a move or something. They call up a salvage yard or a recycling center and the next day it is out of their hair. I've pulled three bikes from a yard that were all worth it.

I also used to post my name and number on the bulliten boards cycle shops sued to have. Always check there as to an oldtimer that is more important than the internetsterweb.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Speed2x,
The bikes I listed were from a 5 min search on the San Diego craigs list. I could easily build something from any of them and they are all under $1000. Looks to me like San Diego has some shit!!!

Ken

·
Registered
116 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex

Speed2xs,
The bikes I listed were from a 5 min search on the San Diego craigs list. I could easily build something from any of them and they are all under $1000. Looks to me like San Diego has some shit!!!

Ken
"Shit" being the keyword. I wasn't arguing that there wasn’t a sub-k bike for sale in SD, but that compared to the other communities I mentioned SD wasn’t rich in running examples. I guess I need to be more specific in the future.

My only point was that if he's got the money and is ready to buy he's gotta be diligent in his search, looking every day at the ads and being ready to act on a good deal; possibly a bit further from home.

·
Registered
92 Posts
who cares what people are "asking" on craigslist.....low ball them
someone will take the bait.

I've low balled two bikes and got them down almost half their "asking" price.

With that said I've sold a bike on Craigslist for half my CL "asking price" they post big and will negotiate, that's how it works. They just hope someone is stupid enough to buy it at a high price.

Key words too look for:
O.B.O - invitation to low ball
Needs minor work - invitation to low ball
Just needs carbs cleaned and she'll run- invitation to cut price in half, if you can't ride it home, the bike is not worth SH!T

Things to say when buying a bike
"wow, that's a bit rough"
"are you sure this is stock" -gets them questioning the value
"do you have reciepts for the work" -nobody keeps track.
-criticize everthing!

start low in price and work up. Just set a walk away price before negotiating.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts