Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
years ago I saw for sale a ton of wing nuts in different metric sizes styled to look like the old 3 bar spinners from the 1960s. Since then I have not been able to find anything that wasn't an air cleaner nut. This guy had them in 100s of different sizes in both metric and standard sizes.

I am not picky, if I have to buy some blanks and drill them out I am totally down for that but I need them to be as big as an axle nut, or as small as upper shock mount nuts, and would prefer metric. Also if they could not cost a fortune that would be awesome.

they looked like this only flatter and the bolt went all the way through:

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Cool! I'm sure they're out there, perhaps check with Mooneyes or some of the 'Kustom Kulture' vendors?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Excuse me but those are far queah'r than knee dents and more useless.

At least if they had a significantly heavier spoke they would have some amount of usefulness.

Single spoke bob weighted nuts were common in the late 20's to mid 30's.

Ever noticed or seen any?

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
But if they werent so damned oversized.....

Nah.... matters not as properly torquing such a design still would be iffy at best.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

Excuse me but those are far queah'r than knee dents and more useless.

At least if they had a significantly heavier spoke they would have some amount of usefulness.

Single spoke bob weighted nuts were common in the late 20's to mid 30's.

Ever noticed or seen any?
seen plenty, even found a supplier selling them in brass as one sided wing nuts.

well I dd want them for a semi functional reason, I wanted to make a "knock off" style axle nut and have it actually function as a knockoff. I figured that if I do it in alloy it will be lighter, and since axle nuts are held in by cotter pins and safety wire I was probably ok with it not being grade 8 steel. I wanted the small ones for the lights to make it look like I can take the lights on and off the bike in a couple twists with no tools. Functional but giving that street strip look of yore.

I think I will just use regular wing nuts and studs for the lights, but I have an idea about the knock off.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I cant imagine t6 axle nuts ever passing tech or being a good idea.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

I cant imagine t6 axle nuts ever passing tech or being a good idea.
Which is why I think it is probably better to build it as a spanner that fits over the stock nut, then use a set screw to hold it in place. This way if it doesn't pass tech I can remove it, but functionality wise it gets rid of my need to carry a socket and breaker the right size for the axle when I take long trips and need to adjust the chain. Plus it will look killer, like Vette knock offs or English pin drives from the 60s except it won't spin.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found this in my internet travels:

It is from Kustomtech. Pretty, but useless for what I want to do. Someone building a street tracker without a front brake might like it, but since it does not allow for a disc and actually doesn't do anything other than spin with the wheel it isn't going to do me much good.

I think I like my idea - a tool you always carry with you that looks trick to boot.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My reply got eaten....
You'd be better off sinking a threaded steel insert into them for the axle nuts. Set screws aren't going to hold up long.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Why not just make them out of stainless... or at least steel?

Heck, weld the wings on three of a nuts flats and the a round cover over it if ya can't simply machine them out.

There are plenty of easy enough ways to do something like that without requiring much more than a drill press, hacksaw, grinders and welding capability.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
it's an iconic shape. I made a sprocket guard for my bike based on those three prong knock offs. 1/4 inch stock., drill press and a jig saw pretty much as HackA said. good luck w/ it Geeto. what I made:
[/img]
cheers, bcr

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

How so? they are not moving and internally they are going to be cut with a hex pattern. I was going to use pretty thick aluminum....
If you're cutting them with an internal hex (broach or relieved?) a setscrew 'might' hold up, but I'd still be leery. However that arrangement is more like a cover so maybe it'll be fine. I was under the probably mistaken impression you wanted to use them as axle nuts. I think that even with an internal hex to match up to the OE nut, a set screw is only going ot allow a tiny area to lock it in place. Whack it with a mallet to loosen or tighten it and I'm almost certain it'll distort. May hold up for a few uses but I think it'll fail on you....probably at the least convenient moment.

Stainless would be a decent option unless weight is a real concern for you, but even then at say...3" over all diameter it wouldn't be bad and once polished, stainless will stay that way much longer than aluminum since it oxidizes so quickly.

In aluminum you could probably do a zero tolerance press fit and pin it to an actual steel nut, that'd probably hold up ok. My thought regarding a threaded insert is that it'd be cheaper to get a strong part vs. machining the hex.

Can't wait to see how this turns out though, I dig the idea.

·
Registered
23,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, weight is not a concern, at least it is not as big a concern as something else. Still making them out of alloy would be cool just for the lightness.

Originally I did want to use them as axle nuts, but then I re thought it and it was either sleve it like you said (which is a lot more work for me) or cut it to a hex, press fit it on the stock nut, and toss a set screw in for safety. That is the route I think I am going to go.

I need to be as low tech as I can with this because:

- All I have right now to build this is a dremel, a hacksaw, and a drill press. I don't have a welder and the guy who usually welds for me just got a new job at jet blue and has no time to do my penny ante shit.

- I haven't even bought the alloy yet. I was going to mock up the design in scraps of wood I have laying around and then see if I could either cut it my own with the hacksaw, or find a cheap fab shop with a waterjet/plasma cutter that could cut it. I can't cut SS with my hacksaw/dremel but if I found a shop that coult that would be sweet. The speedcult guys have a computer guided plasma cutter and I thought about asking them as well since they were just at our show, they could cut steel or SS. The one reason I liked alloy for if I did it myself is that I could then angle the wings slightly by heating/bending a lot easier than with steel (I could even do it cold if I really wanted to work it).

The goal was to basically have a "knock off" that I could loosen or tighten with mostly my hand and maybe one swift knock from a rubber mallet for the initial/final blow. I was going to safety wire it as well for both looks and...well...safety. I figure if the wings of the knock off were 3/4 the length of my 3/8th drive rachet then we were in business.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Well if you do the hex, shoot for a tight fit. You might want to think about pinning it rather than the set screw unless you think you'll want to take the nut out for some reason.

·
Registered
312 Posts
be kinda cool if you could somehow have on with hex nut hidden then have a cotter pin on the outsidekinda like a castle nut with cotter pin, use em on axle nuts and spindle nuts on , have that old school f1 look

·
Registered
630 Posts
Definatly want some for my upper shock mounts, then I don't have to take my hands off the bars when my but itches!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts