Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
right here:

i was 10 years old when my mother finally let me start playing with her 1969 Motobecane moped (she got it in 72ish). i got it running, cleaned, new plug, didn't know much past the plug and proper 2 stroke mixtures. once it was running, i put air in the tires and started ripping it through the fields. quickly my friend Damien got himself a Peugeot 103 and we were going around a fictitious track trying to see who was fastest. no one really was after all was said and done but itwas fun. as time went by i stripped anything that wasn't necessary like the head and tail lights, engine covers and some pesky little shits on the back to hold packages and groceries. fuck them i thought, i'll make this bike as light as i can first, then i'll make it street legal again. now, note that at 11 years old i would have 3 years until i would be legally allowed to ride on the street, plenty of time.

i looked through moped magazines to see what people were doing and i was going for the opposite. that's why i looked for the flashiest blue to cover the original white. i took my savings to the hardware store, got the blue and a paint brush, and went to town. my plan was to make the entire bike blue and grey with a black seat and chrome handle bars that would be lower than the original apehangers. put the paint on and saved up a few more bills for the handlebars. after begging and begging, Damien and i got a ride to a moped shop about half an hour away, put our bills on the counter and pointed to two handle bars, mine were chrome his flat black (he was going for the dark grey/flat black look). put them on and i decided right there and then i HAD to lower the seat and do something to make the pedals flip backwards once the bike was running. but before i could cut the seat stem and get the pedals how i wanted we moved to Maryland and i left my beloved moped back in France at the age of 13. it took another 11/12 years for me to get another bike and i had not followed much about what ever "scenes" were going on or what actual motorcycles were like. i always knew what a Triumph was and what the "old racers" were like but never really paid that much attention to what they truly looked like...... which was exactly what i wanted to do to my moped!

look at the pictures and notice my handlebars, clubman style, cafe racer style. i took everything off that was over weight, cafe racer style. lower seat and the equivalent of rear sets were in my plans, cafe racer style. and that was waaaaaaaaayyyyyyy before i was to hear the two words cafe and racer being put together in any context.

the other day i went to the storage barn where it sits through the seasons and i have to say that i want to do it. you know what i am talking about, i want to rebuild it. one day. one day i will rebuild it, maybe get a newer engine or rebuild this one from scratch but i will rebuild it. i'll lower that seat and put a flipping system on the pedals so i can have them as rear sets. then, after i update the suspensions and brakes, i'll put a head and rear light, a number plate and i'll fly...... BITCHES!!!!!!!!!!!

what's your story?

--------------
CB650, FauxCatiFT500

Edited by - jb on Jan 26 2008 5:09:44 PM

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
JB,
Very cool. I like the idea of a cafe moped. I have thought about doing one as a pitbike or if I lived in a city for quick short trips.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
2,595 Posts
My first motorized 2 wheel ride was on my friends Big Bear Scrambler minibike. Down the sidewalk across the street from our house. I was probably about 8 or 9 yrs old. Instant enlightenment. Knew I had to have one, but also knew that being the youngest of 5 boys, it wasn't gonna happen. Not that I didn't try.
Rode it a few more times that summer.
A few years on, another friend invites me over to ride his Yamaha AT1. I told him I was an expert. He was pretty convinced when I wheelied it on the trail behind his house.
Didn't get my own bike till I came back from a year at school in Denver. My roommate in school had invited me to help as a corner worker down in Pueblo for a Mountain Road Racing Club motorcycle race. The bike I remembered the best and decided I had to have was a '75 XT500 converted to a roadracer. The dude that raced it was a teacher at the school, and he rode it to work the following week.
That was it. I got back from school and walked into the Yamaha store and said "show me an XT500"...
I wound up with an SR500 instead, but it's all good. I race an XT now.

FR

·
Registered
569 Posts
a bicycle frame, a pice of plywood, a couple of U bolts, a 3hp briggs, a couple of hard rubber 8" tires from Sears, a washing machine pully and a fan belt. ......FREEDOM.......

dch.

I love the smell of castor oil in the morning, but I have a Honda....

·
Registered
23 Posts
i have had a couple of mobys, my current one being a cafe-ish V50 that i built a few years ago, also in disrepair now. almost looks just like yours, save for mine being red. if you need help/parts, check out www.moped army.com or 1977 moped. we have a few puch maxi's and a bored out tomos that pull upwards of 60mph.

Edited by - dreg14 on Jan 28 2008 11:07:55 AM

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
jb,

great thread, great story.....

i got my start years ago riding buddies dirt bikes and atc hondas.

mom would never let me get my own.

flash forward 20 years....and i bought a benelli 250 barracuda/s.s. basketcase for $1000.00.......yeah, i know...i was naive.

first bike a italian basket. assembled the bike 95%, never got it running or got to ride it and sold it seven years later (i'll post a pic later). during those seven years i bought a running cb500 that was mildly cafe'ed from a friend who bought it from tom at ricepaddy (mid-ohio 1998 or 1999). it was sweet and i rode it 12 months of the year....again, i was younger and stupid.

since that first benelli 250 i have owned dozens of bikes, but none have been sweeter than the benelli or my cb500.

wish i still had both, but bikes come and go.

i just recently bought a cb350 with the same color scheme as my cb500 (the gold metallic and black), so i have a little of the mojo back. gonna keep that one stock, as it is a 9 out of 10 (aesthetically and cosmetically)....i'll post some pictures of that too.

that's sort of the rambling start to my motorcycle madness.

so caferacer.net, what's your story?

texy

http://groups.google.com/group/PhillyVinMoto

·
Registered
36 Posts
Interesting stories guys. Each has it's own little twist.

My Story? Well first off, I need to tell you all that my Granddad started a motorcycle shop in 1932. He and a friend took an old Indian motorcycle w/ a sideacar frame attached (no body on it) and went out across the countryside searching out motorcycles to buy (to either fix up to sell or part out). My Dad went to work there soon as he was old enough.Indians became his first franchise (followed by Royal Enfield, Vincent, Norton, AJS, Matchless, BSA, Parilla and Jawa/CZ/ESO. I came along in 1947 and was all over that shop from the time I was walking fairly well. When I was about 12 or so, my Dad gave me a Jawa 50cc Scooterette (it was called) that had been modified to more resemble a small motorcycle. Then when I was 14, I started quizzing my Dad as to when I could get a motorcycle, he told me that I could get one that summer IF I GRADUATED THAT YEAR! Well, I did and boy was I ready to go get MY motorcycle! That 1st Saturday morning after school was out, we went down to my Granddad's shop. We got ther and my Dad said,"It's Upstairs!" Now, I'd been going upstairs for years and I'd never seen a motorcycle up there. Well, except for an old Indian 101 Scout frame w/ forks and a motor (belonged to a bunch that traveled with the fair that came to Little Rock each year (they operated "The Wall Of Death!") and they would leave a bike to be rebuilt and pick it up the following year, leaving another one and they never picked that one up. I knew that wasn't it. After I'd been sent back up there several times, I came back down the 3rd time and my Dad was holding out a 125cc Jawa Parts Book and said, "It's Up There, You Just Have To Put It Together!" Well, I was floored! The only things I didn't have to put together were the wheels and the crankshaft. Parts were all over the place and I had to scrounge up every single part (even the motor and trans. parts). It wasn't until some years later, that I actually realized what he taught me! I built a 1958' Jawa 125c street bike. Mine was like this one except mine was black instead of red.

·
Registered
7 Posts
haha awesome stories... im quite a bit younger though :p

I nagged my oldies for years for a dirt bike til they finaly gave in (I was about 15 at the time) it was a 86 honda CT125, awesome old bike and I wish I had it :\

anyway they bought said bike for me but I had to promise not to ride a bike on the road or own a road bike until I turned 21...

I accepted the terms... and I turned 21 about 3 months ago, thus the Kwaka Z200 project was born (til I can get a open licence and ride what I want)

my uncle builds top fuel harleys/show bikes, the old man clicked around for years on a Z1300... lots of riders in my family.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts