Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i saw some guys using Ti bolts to save some wieght. my 125cc racer is going back together soon and i would love to use some Ti bolts. im looking to get the bike down to 125-150lb so every little bit helps
i saw a site once but each bolt was like 14.95! did i get in over my head? i figure i will send way to much money on Ti parts but didnt think that much
thanks

There is the right way, the wrong way and the british way to do anything!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I use homepro in farmingdale for all my stainless and titanium bolt needs. However it is expensive even when you pick it up in person. you'll get more mileage out of a good diet than you would out of Ti bolts anyway

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
where are they in farmingdale? and whats expencive?

·
Registered
5,379 Posts
yeah dude

save your money and take your girlie friend out to dinner because the pizza and the beer you will be consuming while you install those TI bolts will negate any weight savings you will get.

dude

latered

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
called homepro this morning to order some stainless steel cap screws and he told me they were getting out of titanium - too expensive and nobody is buying them.

here is yoyodyne's site:

http://www.yoyodyneti.com/

at $15 a bolt, you will have a $10,000 cb125 in order to show any decent weight savings. where as the 10lbs loss from eating nothing but salad for a month will make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
On a 125 racer you want it as absolutely light as possible. However, Titanium is the final step of the weight reduction. I'm a fan of titanium, but I waited until all other avenues were exhausted before I started spending money on Ti.
Figure it will cost you from $50-100 per pound of reduced weight to use Ti (in the form of bolts). Figure on $30-50 per pound of saved weight in other parts made from Ti stock.
For the serious racer those costs are acceptable...but only after you've saved as much weight as you can with aluminum, fiberglass etc.

The only components I've found to be worth replacing with Ti so far are engine mounting bolts and the rear/front brake stays. Some day I'll have Ti axles and swingarm pivot made...probably $300 for 2 lbs.

So someday, if you really love that 125, and are serious about winning with it, you go on a diet..AND use Ti. Every little bit counts, and if over a span of a few years you can trim an extra 10 lbs off the bike with Ti and drilling and such then it may be worth it to you. But first there are probably a hundred better ways to spend your money.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
10,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i had the almost the whole frame to bare metal. thought of clearing it but put a coat of brightside boat paint on it. ill just eat one less meal in the name of good looks...lol

·
Registered
118 Posts
quote:
and don't forget paint is approx 10 lbs. Strip all aluminum to bare metal, and if you can the steel too
being a painter for a living this is hilarious.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

·
Registered
118 Posts
quote:
Might be ten pounds in the can...but by the time the solvents evaporate....it's just the solids.

JohnnyB
exactly, and thats INCLUDING the can! You lose ALOT of the material because of overspray also. So by the time the paint is dry we're talking mere ounces.

--------------------------

1978 Yamaha XS400. Stock for now.

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
colin lyster never painted his frames...but he was freakin' nuts too!

texy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts