Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Alright, where should I go next. I was thinking of a Viper fairing to match with the tank and front scoop. I'm thinking all gloss black with a single white stripe going down the center of the bike too. To put in in perspective I'm going to paint the engine black too, except for the covers and the edges of the fins. I'm almost ready to put the engine back in and start assembling everything. All the details are done too. Anybody have any opinions or thoughts?

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
viper fairings are kinda bland, that bike needs something different considering the mismash of parts it is already. I think a cut down 1988-1991 FZR600 upper racing fairing would look sick. You could make two piaa fog lamps your headlights and mount them to the lower edge of the fairing and viola...instant badass.

The RZ350 fairing also looks cool.

As for paint....I am always a fan of bedliner. Other than that Black with white sounds nice but what about the opposite? With so much black on the bike, white bodywork with black striping (or 1950s hot rod big scallops with orange pinstriping) would look killer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Are you gonna change the tail and seat??? That would be my next step.

New rear sets repositioned?

Maybe some new wheels

I'd also personally lose the bottom fairing and the battery covers.

Just my 2 cents...

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:

Maybe some new wheels

Just my 2 cents...
yawn....psyco's bike is "different". None of the stuff you mentioned is stock stuff - it is all stuff he has added. it's not "traditional" cafe bike look he is after.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
quote:
quote:

Maybe some new wheels

Just my 2 cents...
yawn....psyco's bike is "different". None of the stuff you mentioned is stock stuff - it is all stuff he has added. it's not "traditional" cafe bike look he is after.
HAHA, different, I like that. Yes as the great Geeto has mentioned my bike is not a traditional cafe bike, it started out that way but now I'm going for more of a mix of cafe and street fighter. My project from start to finish is listed here in this thread http://www.caferacer.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4171

Geeto, I like that idea, I'm going to look up a ton of pictures when I get done my second job later tonight. I was thinking black with white scallops before, but then I got the front scoop and I was thinking of a fairing, so I got to thinking it may not fit with the bike. Luckly for me painting the tins will be the last thing I do on this bike, so I got a little time to figure it all out

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I had a stock FZR600 upper, off my now deceased 1994 FZR, mocked up on my drag bike for the longest time. It looked really good but the thought of glassing over the headlight holes seemd like too much work for me. I got the idea from a issue of streetfighter's magazine which had a bunch of retro bikes in it. There was a guy with a 1979 CBX road race bike and he was using an fzr race fairing.

The Piaa light idea I got from a street racer in louisiana who had a full laydown rig with license plates on it. The headlights were mini fog lamps mounted in the fairing ducts.

The RZ350 1/4 fairing just looks so sleek, different, and round that it should be on more bikes. Probably the easiest to work with considering your current headlight setup.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
for one I would replace that backpack /cooler for a "genuine" japanese motor!!!
So my twist would be a motor is your next step.A cooler is for beer!

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
2,670 Posts
I like stock F stripes. 20yrs ago my buddy had a black 900f. We painted it pearl white and used a stock orange stripe kit. It was bad-ass.

I like Geeto's idea of scallops or whatever. But do something that accents the lines of the tailsection. To me that's still one of the coolest factory tails ever.

I wouldn't put an upper on it. I'd stick with the streetfighter look and put one of those deflector thingies on it and maybe little twin headlights. To me those deflector things look like the side cut out of a five gallon bucket. I don't know what they cost, but I might get me some plastic and try to make my own.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
As long as we're hav'in fun.....I'd black powdercoat the comstars, shoot the tank and seat with a vintage honda silver, green stripes and the yellow H-wing logo (those old elsinores are beautiful), swap out the turn signals for some bar end alloys , and spend the retirement on a set of custom jemco 4 into 4 reverse cone megs, nickel-plated if you can swing it. I'm done dreaming....
Cool project P.D.69, the next pic of this bike needs to include tire smoke.
bcr

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Altough I'm still kinda partial to the viper even though its been done alot

The maier fairing looks like a bit cooler

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Here's my maier:

Same one you have in the pics but it took 20 hours of filling and sanding to get her super smooth like you see it on my bike. Fiberglass so wavy I thought I saw Laird Hamilton on the middle of the right side.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks really great on your bike, but I don't think it would fit my bikes profile. I'm seriously considering the RZ350 fairing or perhaps the viper fairing, I would have to do something custom with that though, maybe mold the turn signals into it and maybe the mirrors too.

So far I've changed everything on my bike, might as well be that too. The gas tank is probably getting a flush mount gas cap or one off of a modern sport bike

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
I think a solo seat and a quarter fairing would go with the tank.The seat is heavey and the little spoiler well I dont like them .
I know the wheels kick you up the modern ladder a little but the tank is a throw back, so its overall styling is on the fence and Id fall back in time instead of ahead.
I always think of that old school race look and always try to get that tiny and short as hell chopped off seat look. The quarter fairing would get you out of that seen it before look .

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A solo seat is out of the question cause that would just piss my girlfriend off

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

·
Registered
29 Posts
quote:
quote:

Maybe some new wheels

Just my 2 cents...

Meh whatever. Do i know him or what sort of bike he is after? He asked for opinions and i gave one.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
My wife asks all the time "hey! where do I sit"
I just answer "you dont like the way I drive anyway"
A old school classic manx "as in bobbed tail cat look" is always the way to go for me.I know you want something more stock looking.That to me is just a street bike,and nothing wrong with that.I just like them all to look like old race bikes Its what got me into them and its what makes me stay with the same style, its just kick ass .No chicks on my bike just me and a good relaxing twisty road and the sound of the motor and brakes.
So sorry Im not much help,looks like what your trying for will be a good looking bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well this is my street bike, I do have another bike in the works, that will be a single seater, mono shock, big front brakes, true cafe bike.

22/m
1980 Honda CB750
1972 Oldsmobile 442

1 - 18 of 18 Posts