·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any recommendations? 72 CB500

·
Registered
118 Posts
Nice! I've been looking for carb rebuild kits for my Yamaha!

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
what is it you need? You may not need the whole kit. Honda makes and sells most if not all the parts you will need and you can get them individually. The only hard parts I usually replace when rebuilding gunky carbs are the float needle since they get pronounced grooves worn in them over time.

www.hondaparts-direct.com should be able to set you up.

I generally stay away from the keyster or K&L kits because the metal parts are junk and you always end up using just the gaskets. Joe has had good luck with one of them on his 550 but I have not on mine.

cycle recycle, dennis kirk, they should all be able to hook you up with the generic.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I ended up getting keyster kits but my problem is still there. It backfires on one cylinder, the idle is inconsistent, it takes a while to rev down after rapping the throttle, and it does not make enough power to get the bike moving. I have to slip the clutch at 5-6 grand to get it to move with out dying. From my car experience I would say a vacuum leak somewhere, sound logical?

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
with the bike idling in the driveway, spray the outside of the carb manifolds with starting fluid or carb cleaner. If the bike revs when you spray it then you have a manifold leak.

Otherwise it sounds like your timing is off and you have a carb leak at the same exact time. These cb500 carbs are a bitch to get on - make sure they are all the way up against the rubbers. Also check the manifolds for dry cracking.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts