Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Stand about 20 feet away from the bike and line up the forks to your line of sight...then stand on the other side of the bike and do the same thing. You might be able to pick up a bent fork that way, but if it is only slightly bent you will need to disassemble the forks and roll the tubes on a pair of V-blocks looking for run out with a dial indicator to know for sure. Slight bends can be removed by use of V-blocks and a hydraulic press.
If you are really lucky you might be able to get away with loosening off the pinch bolts with the bike on the centre stand, then while holding the front wheel twist the handlebars until things are aligned. Then tighten everything back up again...it might be just that simple.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
oh. well i didnt know. i just heard the gs450 was a good bike. (does having it be factory chopper just make it harder to modify into a cafe?)

the bike hasnt had an accident from what i can tell. it fell over thats for sure but a crash i doubt and frame is in good condition. i will replace the bars as the guy tried to bend them back (did ok but doesnt look pretty).

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
does having it be factory chopper just make it harder to modify into a cafe
Being a motorcycle makes it harder to modify into a cafe because cafes are restaurants and motorcycles are modes of transportation. But yes, being a factory chopper means you are starting from a disadvantage. Usually that disadvantage is in the form of leading axle forks, frames with more relaxed rake, drop seat heights, etc. All this was covered on like page 2 of this thread. or somewhere back there, I am too lazy to go back.

the bike hasnt had an accident from what i can tell. it fell over thats for sure but a crash i doubt and frame is in good condition. i will replace the bars as the guy tried to bend them back (did ok but doesnt look pretty).
Fell over = crash in the sense as they both cause damage. Sure it is minor damage but hey, it's enough for you to notice. And by the way you can bend the frame from the bike "falling over" if the bike was maybe backed into by a car, or just fell on the sweet spot. it's worth checking out while you are doing it.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
i just heard the gs450 was a good bike.
Yes, it is. Not fantastic, but reliable, durable and no glaring faults.

does having it be factory chopper just make it harder to modify into a cafe?
If you are referring to using bodywork with a traditional café racer/vintage GP roadracer look, yes. Cruiser frames are rarely suited to it.

But remove the word "café" from your vocabulary. Tell yourself you're going to customize, or resto-mod, or whatever. It takes more work, but a cruiser CAN be turned into a "racer." ...But without extensive modifications, it still won't look anything like a "café racer."

Momba-Kawasaki-After.jpg

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
technically you can turn your lawnmower into a racer if you wanted to....doesn't make it a good racer if you don't spend the time making it work like a racer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
oh. well i didnt know. i just heard the gs450 was a good bike. (does having it be factory chopper just make it harder to modify into a cafe?)

The gs series are good motorcycles.However, they are notorious for leaving the owner stranded with a dead battery, due to stator and rectifier issues, which are expensive to replace. If you buy OEM, it will cost close to $500 and the same problem will reoccur,since the cause was never addressed by the factory.I've owned my gs since 1983 and have gone through 5 units and plan to buy a new Shindengen sh775 from a nearby Polaris dealer. You will learn all kinds of new electric troubleshooting skills and will find that a multimeter is your most important tool. Go online and check out "the GS Resources" website and their stator pages for a welcome to the gs owners' club. Loads of info there. BTW, don't invest your time and money trying to turn a boulevard cruiser into a roadracer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
on this particular bike the thing hasnt ran in 2 years and all it needed was a hook up to the car and a little tweaking to start up. (first had my car on because i didnt know better but it was just for a few seconds DOH') but all the electrics work, starter works first press and all that so i am hoping i have a good anomaly with electrics.

I have a friend that restores old cycles and hes going to make sure my frame is all good and same with the front fork assembly. and anything else he spots i would suppose.

and i would have to put in the malt shake maker to truly cafe it right? i mean the jukebox wont fit but i figure one beverage appliance on it would really enhance the cafe look.

·
Registered
86 Posts
First thing to do is follow this tutorial for cleaning the carbs:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/cbsaunders/gs/gs450_carb_cleaning_guide.pdf

Then, buy this and perform all of the maintenance items:
Suzuki Workshop Manual GS450 Models 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 Service | eBay

Get yourself a Polaris 4012941 series type regulator to replace the crappy stock shunt type, clean your grounds, check all your voltages and you should have a nice, rock-solid platform for general cruising and a few performance mods as time and the limitations of the "L" model allows. Grab some 18" wheels from the "E" or "S" model, replace the suspension components with progressive, add a superbike bar and modify the seat foam on the stock pan to your liking. Just know that, unless you trade it for an "E", "S" or even a "T" model, the ergos on that bike won't have you doing any of this any time soon:

Reactions: Jumlas22

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Suzuki Workshop Manual GS450 Models 1981 1982 1983 1984 1985 1986 1987 Service | eBay
QUOTE]

The guy gave me that with the bike and thanks for the carb tutorial, should be a fun project to do one afternoon. I apreciate all the modification sugguestions and i will look into that regulator, i will check all my electrics with the multimeter in compliance with the manual as well as do a total maintanance tuneup in accordance with the manual as well before i think about doing anything cosmetic/performance wise.

·
Registered
179 Posts
First thing to do is follow this tutorial for cleaning the carbs:
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/cbsaunders/gs/gs450_carb_cleaning_guide.pdf

Get yourself a Polaris 4012941 series type regulator to replace the crappy stock shunt type, clean your grounds, check all your voltages and you should have a nice, rock-solid platform for general cruising and a few performance mods as time and the limitations of the "L" model allows. Grab some 18" wheels from the "E" or "S" model, replace the suspension components with progressive, add a superbike bar and modify the seat foam on the stock pan to your liking. Just know that, unless you trade it for an "E", "S" or even a "T" model, the ergos on that bike won't have you doing any of this any time soon:

Perfect advice.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts