Cafe Racer Forum banner

Which bike?

2K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  Geeto67 
#1 ·
Ok, so ive been shopping around for a project cb750 and so far I have had no luck. Every bike that ive come across so far, the owners think their garbage is gold and are asking way to much in my opinion. Anyway, ive come across someone selling a cb450 and it has caught my interest. I am 6ft, 220 lbs. I have been riding dirtbikes and crotch rockets for the past 9 years. Do you guys think that this bike will have enough power to keep me happy or should I keep looking for the 750? Plan on using the bike to commute with on nice days and then enjoy the summer with.

#2 ·
A cb450 will be working pretty hard to do70mph on the freeway, a small fairing would help but 2 or 3 hundred cc's would help more. They're both 40 yr old bikes, unless you pony up for a realy good one, you'll have to work on either one to make a good commuter. Another option I've seen done is to take a newer bike and make a naked retro/ cafe out of it. You get electronic ign. better brakes and suspention and many of them ,you can still get dealer support. Just depends on what you realy want and how much work you want to do. Between the 450 and 750, the 750 has more parts and aftermarket stuff available and would be the sure choice if you plan to ride double much. Personaly,I would probably get a cheep one and go through it, just to be safe. Pay up to $600. ish and $2500. to refurbish it. You.ll pay that for a "turnkey" bike and you'll have to take thier word for it anyway.

#3 ·
what are you expectations? just sayng you ride crotch rockets and dirtbikes gives the impression you wont be happy unless you have either. what do you really want out of you vintage experience?

There is also a big difference in the riding experience between twins and inline fours. If you are really looking for a twin get an xs650. Does everything as good as the cb450 plus some.

If you just want a ratty four, I suggest you broaden your horizons a little and look for a 77-79 GS750 and a kz1000 and kz650 also. I commute on a '77 GS750 nearly every day and I love mine. I go riding with a buddy with an R1 and at anything below 80 mph I can keep up with him ok. plus you get more bike for your money since, no matter how many times I recommend them to people, the douchy hipsters driving up the prices of old hondas buy old hondas instead.

#5 ·
well i'm gonna make you feel bad, just cause i can.

i HAD a CB750 Honda.....1972. i just sold it. i won't tell you what i sold it for, cause then you would cry, and kenessex would call you a pussy.

in the future, use the search function, or look in the classifieds section.

mine was up at $1500. i would have taken $1250. i sold it for LESS so i could go racing.

by the way.....i live in philly and work for a company that has it's US offices in brooklyn. i drive a Sprinter Van, and it has wheel chalks, and i got a ramp and straps. it HAD a clean title, and i would have delivered it to you for FREE.

bummer dude.....but good luck with the CB450, and welcome!

tex

#8 ·
tex - that's "chocks".

and my CB450 is ok for HP as far as I can tell, and I weigh more than you do. but no, you're not gonna outride a clapped-out ex500. the cb450 had about 42HP stock (probably optimistic) at the crank. lots of heavy bits you can drop, though, and more weight to lose in the fenders (go glass but keep the front fender brace) and alloy rims. if you can drop the stock exhaust for something else, those double-wall pipes weigh a lot. fun bike tho! kinda buzzy in the bars until about 75MPH.

kz650 sounds like a nice choice too, and anyone who's ever ridden a GS raves about it.

#9 ·
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

well i'm gonna make you feel bad, just cause i can.

i HAD a CB750 Honda.....1972. i just sold it. i won't tell you what i sold it for, cause then you would cry, and kenessex would call you a pussy.

in the future, use the search function, or look in the classifieds section.

mine was up at $1500. i would have taken $1250. i sold it for LESS so i could go racing.

by the way.....i live in philly and work for a company that has it's US offices in brooklyn. i drive a Sprinter Van, and it has wheel chalks, and i got a ramp and straps. it HAD a clean title, and i would have delivered it to you for FREE.

bummer dude.....but good luck with the CB450, and welcome!

tex
http://tiny.cc/Click528

#11 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

what are you expectations? just sayng you ride crotch rockets and dirtbikes gives the impression you wont be happy unless you have either. what do you really want out of you vintage experience?
Im not saying I wont be happy unless I have either, I am just letting you know my background and what I am used to. I am just looking for something that has a fun ride and when I need it, enough power to pull me when I want to crack the throttle. I do not want a bike that when I twist the throttle, im waiting for something to happen.

#12 ·
get a two stroke if you want the lightness of a dirt bike and the power of a crotch rocket.

The perfect package is an RZ350 which can make upwards of 135HP with the right bits in it courtesy of the two Stroke Shop in Australia.

RG/RD500 are too much like crotch rockets, so forget them, but a nice RD400 with pipes and a TZ tank, no fairing and solo seat would e a great place to start and there's that explosive two stroke powerband.

Want more bike? get a GT750 Suzuki and port it, add decent pipes and bigger carbs and you could easily get the wrong side of a 100HP, or stay at around 80 RWHP and have a ton of fun.

teazer

#13 ·
you are really going out of your way to keep us from getting info to help you. How about budget? what can you afford? how handy are you? just cause you've ridden ninjas and dirt bikes doesn't mean you know how to fix them. You want a recommendation? how about a vincent black shadow, lots of power and pretty nimble.

seriously though. there are bikes from the pre superbike era (1977 and older) and then there are the superbikes. The pre superbike era bikes are smallish, all make around 50-60hp and the heaviest weigh about 500 lbs. Superbike era bikes are larger, make around 70-100 hp, and are more like modern sport tourers. They don't have the look of a 1969 cb750 or triumph bonnie but they have their own look made famous by people like freddie spencer and eddie lawson. I have commuted on a SOHC cb750 and it is nice, it will get out of its own way, will never have ninja acceleration, and above 80-90 you are struggling. My 1979 DOHC cb750F will sit at 125 mph all day long as stable as you need it to be and will get there pretty quick. The GS750 is buzzy at 100 or over, but will get there much faster.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.