Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, i have a 81 gs750 i want to put a 1100 engine in. Im planning on building this engine up threw time. Ive read the newer like an 88 gsx1100 katana engine make the most power stock, but will it fit in my frame without a ton of fabricating? Which 1100 engine is the disired one that all the drag guys want or is it all of them basically?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
The GSX / GSXR motors (oil cooled) are shorter in length than the air cooled GS mills - which means you either have to place the motor forward in the frame (clears the headers, but moves the sprocket away from the swingarm pivot) or rearward (keeps the sprocket close to the swigarm pivot, but requires custom headers). Technically, keeping the motor rearward is better for chainline wear / preservation, but most people run them at the front as it's easier in the long run.

But to answer your question, any GS1000, 1100 or 1150 (air cooled) will fit in with the least amount of headaches. They also have the roller bearing cranks which the drag guys find hard to kill.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Is this possible I've got a 78 gs750 and I'm about to buy a 79 gs1100 how tough would the mock up mounts or will it bolt up and what else should I worry about

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is this possible I've got a 78 gs750 and I'm about to buy a 79 gs1100 how tough would the mock up mounts or will it bolt up and what else should I worry about
The 1100 will bolt straight in, no mods required, the only thing to worry about is an existing smoking problem, I suspect the frame on your bike is an oil cooler and is leaking somewhere.

·
Registered
551 Posts
The 1100 will bolt straight in, no mods required, the only thing to worry about is an existing smoking problem, I suspect the frame on your bike is an oil cooler and is leaking somewhere.
No matter how many times I read this, I can't figure out what it means.

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
It would be pretty hard to fit one of these seeing as Suzuki didn't make 1100's until 1980.

·
Registered
756 Posts
if you must fit a big engine in the GS750 frame, though not sure which bike you actually have as the GS750 was made from 76 till 78 and is a 2 valve engine, I guess you must have a GSX750 air cooled 4 valve? But why not buy a complete gs1100, Kat, EF or EFE and just have done! But if you must the GSX1100EFE and later engine (1984-87) is bullet proof and has some improvements over earlier engines. I have one in a Spondon frame at 1260cc, Dyno'd 142hp at the back and 92ftlbs of torque at 7500rpm it's tractor engine.

As an alternative, the smaller and lighter is the GSX750 TSCC engine from 83 and 84 (not later as the 750s became 700's), its quicker motor than the GS1100 for street use without spending a penny assuming its in good nick. The early GSX750 was re designed for the new Superbike racing class (750cc) in 1983, the Suzuki 750 TSCC (twin swirl combustion chamber) was the result.

I guess it depends what you are going to use the bike for, if entering field ploughing competitions then go for the GSX1100EFE, if you want something a bit lighter and ultimately a more useable bike then go for the GSX 750 TSCC (an engine that is often overlooked).

As a foot note, the cranks on GS and GSX engines are roller big end, they are strong but a crank build isn't cheap. Some weld for strength (drag and track racing) but that a one way trip as once welded the crank is not re-buildable.

·
Registered
1 Posts
GS 1000/1100 engine interchangeability.....

Charles....thanks for your inspiring advice. I have a 1981 GS1000g with Wiseco 1100 kit in it. Good power etc etc, but I have inadvertently gapped the rings too wide and bike now uses oil & has blow-by......my own stupid fault! I can access a GS1100g engine locally or pull the existing engine down again & fit new rings. If the GS1100g is a direct replacement engine that would be fine. Do you know of any other 'traps' I might encounter in doing this changeover?

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Isn't the G a designator for the shaft drive model?
How will that work in a chain drive chassis?

·
Registered
6,583 Posts
Isn't the G a designator for the shaft drive model?
How will that work in a chain drive chassis?
Yes the G is shaft drive. I think it's a different question though - looks like the new guy wants to swap an 1100g motor into a 1000g chassis (yes, it should just bolt in).

I would re-ring the 1000 motor though rather than buying a used 1100 motor that may need rebuilding anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts