Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I've ridden some of my friends modern sport bikes and they are fun but just aren't my style. Finally after looking at different bike styles I decided I like cafes the best and have always been a Honda fan. So, my question is, what are some of the key differences and quirks of the early 70's CB bikes? I have some mechanical knowledge but building the bike will be a learning experience so my first though is to go for the more simple 350, but on the other hand I'd like to have plenty of power which makes me lean toward the 500 or the 750 Fours. I weigh 200 lbs, so would the 350 be good at highway speeds to and from work? Thanks for any input - Brian

·
Registered
687 Posts
i weigh 160, ride a 350 and it will easily push 75 but on rough or bumpy stretches the front end feels squirrely at that speed and i feel invisible to larger traffic running. oh and big trucks will blow you about the lane and your air cooled bike will cook in standing traffic, in texas at least. to top it off the stretch of I35 in austin has the highest death toll anywhere along it.

needless to say i don't do much highway riding

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
different bikes,not only size but in shape ave a twin and a wide four.The 350 is great if your a biginer rider and want to use every bit of its limits.A 750 has plenty of umph to keep up with your modern day bike buddies,Day to day.
So its always up to you the cb models all are rugged bikes its why they are still around just get as low mileadge as you can or baby a high mileadge one with lots of clean fresh oil ,plugs and points,fresh tires and inspect your oil changes for debris.
Plan on new or up rated rear shock and springs as they just go over time.And have fun!
And welcome to this little part of the web.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I love riding my 74 CB360, but have never had it on a 4 lane. I weigh 215 and it has plenty of power on the flats, but big hills require going down to 4th. The bike is usually screaming and I have to keep it always over 5000rpm or it gets boggy, seems to come into its own at 6000 but I worry I will blow up the 34 year old motor. Seems like the 550 or 750 would be more relaxed.

I also have a Harley 883 Sportster, and if both bikes are sitting there ready to go, for the twisties I will always take the Honda.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
surprised nobody has asked....How tall are you? It makes a big difference. to someone who is 6'5" even a 750 can seem cramped at times.

Personally I think this is kind of a stupid question to ask a bunch of strangers who don't know you or your riding style or your expirence. espically with what little information you have given.

The real answer is the one you can afford and be comfortable riding. Oh and there are other bikes out there besides honda CB's. Also don't buy a wreck and rebuild it if this is your first time doing so. These are old bikes, there will be plenty of stuff to fix on them as you ride it, buy the best example you can afford. Don't get lured in by the promise of a cheap bike and potential.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I say it all depends on what you are gonna do with the bike.

If it going to be your only bike, I would get atleast a CB550 or CB750, As they are alittle bigger/can keep up with traffic better/etc.. If you are gonna ride in a city enviroment and around town then the CB450's and smaller will do ya just fine.

ProTeal55
Member: Ton-Up Club Chicago

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the information. I'm 6'2" but I pretty much had all my questions answered already. Now I just have to find one.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
quote:
Thanks for all the information. I'm 6'2" but I pretty much had all my questions answered already. Now I just have to find one.
6'2" - you'll be comfortable on a 750, 550 will be a little cramped but should be alright.

none of these old machines will keep up with a competent rider on a new sportbike, just so you know.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[/quote]

none of these old machines will keep up with a competent rider on a new sportbike, just so you know.

[/quote]

I probably couldn't keep up with an [iincompetent[/i]rider on a new sportbike either.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
all these bikes will keep up to a modern bike ,if the old bike has a competent rider and the sport bike guy isnt.

Now that you have met Geeto and his "this is a stupid question " dont take him personally, read other rants you find his mind full of info and he gets upset if the ground work isnt layed properly for him to give you an encyclopedic responce ,that I especially, always enjoy.

Im so far behind ,that I think Im in first.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha, I'm not too worried about it. I think every forum I've ever been in has a Geeto in some way or another. He was after all the first one to bring up the seemingly obvious point that I didn't accurately describe my size.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts