34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy on another board did some renditions for me:

A ( not nec. with gold USD forks)

or B

·
Registered
699 Posts
i like the red, but with no white walls...black is just done TOOOO much on these bikes. cafe is about being a little different

·
Registered
692 Posts
Top one's okay but ditch those frickin whitewalls .

·
Registered
30 Posts
i would like to see it with a solid red tank, maybe matte red would be cool. flat black is over done, but i havent seen to many flat red.

·
Registered
123 Posts
the red one is unique, even with the white walls it's kinda cool. its got personality, but i'd make it solid red. my take on flat black: its getting over done (but i still like it).
flat black is stupid if you say to yourself: "everyone will think my
flat black bike is cool."

flack black is cool if you say to yourself: "i LOVE flat black, i don't care what anyone else thinks."

if you do something so that others will like it, you kinda missed the point of doing it!

·
Registered
854 Posts
i agree with the red side covers and think that a useable set of tires minus the WW's would look slick. realy like the invert fork set up. with some clip-on's and rear set you will be looking good.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
...please god no flat black!!!

red's good. i like red. or match the factory orange on the tank as it is now. i love those old colors.

white walls on a 70's vintage honda are simply GHEY!

and do please consider rearsets. those bars, that seat...without 'em, it's simply not finished and screams wannabe.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK, thanks for all the replies guys. Much appreciated.

I guess you guys are not big fans of the whitewalls..interesting.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
on certain bikes, white walls are fine. and most all the bikes they look "right" on are much older european makes...in terms of a modified street racer. they just look WAY too misplaced on a VJM.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
For what ever reason - black always looks cool - but everyone (including me) has a black honda paint scheme. I agree the red looks pretty nice between the two schemes. I might add that on the seat hump, you might consider a little stripping to match the tank. That might add a balance effect to the entire bike.

As far as the white walls on the tires - you might be hard pressed to find tires with the white walls to begin with - or it will at min reduce your selection of tires. While I have nothing against white walls - my take on white walls is this is more inline with bobbers than cafe.

just my 2cents

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
finding a ww tire for a cb750 is not difficult - most harley tires are about the same size and will fit. The problems are:

1) ww tires are usually touring tires not high performance

2) white walls on performance motorcycle don't mix. remember a cafe racer is a performance bike, even if you are leaving the drivetrain stock, just lightening the bike is a perfromance enhancement and should be something you are striving toward.

really I don't like either rendition because, frankly they are unrealistic. paint is the last thing you will do, talking about it now when there are so many other things to figure out is counter productive.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

really I don't like either rendition because, frankly they are unrealistic. paint is the last thing you will do, talking about it now when there are so many other things to figure out is counter productive.
Interesting line of thought. I personally like to get a vision of what I want to build...and if a photo-shopper pal can do that...then so be it. I then build the bike to what I had envisioned, which is hopefully either close to, or better than what I had envisioned. I guess for me, again personally, its nice to see the end, and figure out along the way how to get to that end.

here is a link to a GSXR 600 street fighter build I am just about done with:

http://home.comcast.net/~dougzweb2/build.html

pic:

This bike is basically coming out just like a drawing that I did when I first started with a pile of parts, shown in the first pic on links build page....warning.....extremely pic heavy.

So, "counterproductive" is relative to who is doing the building I suppose.

Also interesting to me is the "performance" concerns for the tires. I am not gonna try the performance side of this bike too much....its really more of just a fun project bike. I am gonna get a good tire that I can trust...white wall or not, but certainly not gonna push the boundaries of handling on a 30 year old machine.

I wanna get a knee down, trust me, I do it with more current, more performance based bikes:

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
you won't "get a knee down on a cb750 anyway, most times the engine cases touch down before you come close to running out of tire.

however, if you are going to come at it as a "styling exercise" you should know that a pure cafe racer is a "race bike for the street" in that everything you do to the bike should have a function. If form is more important to you you may as well be building a chopper.

why I thought your drawings were kind of a jack off was it doesn't solve the following issues:

- bars - clubmans or clipons? with clubmans and the stock mater cylinder you cannot run stock gauges. with clipons wou can't run stock fork ears. with either, and if you are 5'10" or taller, you can't run stock pegs without the bike becoming a torture rack.

- lighting - the drawing has an impossible headlight mount and location. are you going to fab it? tailights? plate mount?

- rearsets: going for solo and low bar you might as well set the bike up properly. otherwise it will be a torture rack

- side covers - you going to make them yourself? buy aftermarket? seek out originals? going to use K or F side covers?

- seat - are you going to make your own? buy? you seem pretty comitted to the shape is that because you don't know there are others out there?

you "mockup" shows a color and a seat...and um...maybe handlebars. that is it. not really useful to me unless you want to figure out color or seat.

I don't know how much "old bike" expirence you have but a SOHC cb750 isn't like riding a modern bike at all. despite being one of the easier old bikes to ride it will demand a lot more out of you at highway speed than a modern sportbike will at 120.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
anything but black (tire walls excepted) therefore, top one w/ stock paint. and while you're at it, the upside down fork w/o some beast brakes sends a mixed message, put the wave rotors and brembos to her, and a 4 into 4 jemco megs. this will be a hugely entertaining motorcycle, although could result in somewhat less enthusiastic neighbors (mostly 'cause of those rockin' jemcos). Do it.
my 2 cents.
cheers, bcr

1 - 20 of 51 Posts