Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
OK, I see that you are " that guy" for this board...Geeto. Forgive me if I am reading you all wrong, and your intent was not to come off like the high and mighty cafe racer mater.

I see from my other post, that most people took the renditions for what they were...just checking out color options and getting some opinions...not actually thinking everything in the pic was to be exactly what I was gonna do......as stated in all of your "jack off" points. Seat, tail, gauge mounts...I can fabricate what I need to. Again, not gonna be a 100% back to stock resto project...so I can mount the headlight and master cylinder where and how I want.

I'll build a chopper sooner or later...but not with this bike. This will be my version of a cafe racer...even if it doesn't fit the "die hards" version of what is a cafe racer. The thing about being a die hard and having to follow rules.....this has to be this way, that has to be that way......not my style......being a sheep and following the rest herd just doesn't work for me.

For me, having a bike from this era, using clubmans or clip ons, and having that straight body line through tank and tail is all that is really important to me. Everything else I can wing...as far as I am concerned.

I understand full well the concept of form over function....but correct me if I am wrong...but that was from a time you needed to do that extreme styling/building, because there were not other faster bikes out. You had to do what you could to make your bike faster than the next guy's. Modern days...you want something faster...there are other bikes out there.

I am sorry if I offend anyone else on this board for what I have said above....except Geeto. For what ever reason, you have had some sort of issue as soon as I stared my other introduction post. I don't know your issue is, but kindly get over it, or refrain from posting in my threads. Ten other guys have posted in my what,...two threads, and none have had the chip that you seem to have. To me, that makes you odd man out.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
refrain from posting in your thread? you have to be fucking kidding.

you put it out on the internet looking for opinons and you got them, I can't believe you are retarded enough to think they would all be positive. there is a lot of useful info there, that what you want, it is a gift.

This isn't a "touchy feely, you bought a cafe racer yay!" kinda site. You ask for opionions and you will get them and they won't all be nice and pretty.

BTW, I don't know if you know what kind of bike it is you bought but having owned over 20 cb750s (and I currently own 8) of just about every model and year, let me give you some more advice. The motor on the bike is bulletproof, everything else in stock trim is shit. That stock disc brake - yeah it is pretty weak, takes a manly grab to hunker this thing down at speed. I ride with a single disc on my stocker every day but it is not something everyone can do, it brings new definition to the words "anticipatory braking". Shocks, well soft as you can get, bike will wallow in turns. The front end...honda toyed around with anti dive based on their expirence of balancing a 500 lbs bike on 35mm forks, and the damn things distort if you go fenderless. Don't forget the front end wobbles on deceleration if you don't run a ribbed tire - design defect it will always do it. but hey you know all this...right...i mean far be it from me to "slam" you for making a conscious choice to build a cafe racer but not actually improve the bike any.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Dougz - Don't let Geeto get to you too much, he bangs everyone and we all take it with a grain of salt. I think he's an ok guy but can come-on little strong sometimes, but he does make you think.

As far as what you want to do with your 750 - (you got a great deal on this sucker) you can go in any direction you want. The extreme would be with clipons, rearsets, modern forks, custom tank, custom seat...on and on. Most folks take their bikes as far as their wallets will want to take them for a project. In most cases - you'll never get your money out of the bike unless you had the bike in a dozen magazines and you have a buyer that's just dying to get your bike. I believe your like the most of us where you want to have it customized enough to make your own statement and have it as a nice ride on the street.

I'm including what I've done with my 750 - a very mild cafe style custom that's gets noticed and is a nice ride on the street.

I have a friend of mine that has taken his 750 to the limits (I don't have a picture yet but will post it as soon as I can get one), that includes R1 front end, clipons, rear set, cut custom frame, 836 motor...etc. He cut the lower part of his frame (under the engine) and welded frame supports all over the frame. It's so rad we call it franken-monster. An yes it is flat black too. lol

Mine bike has been this color since 1972 - so I'm too old to change the color - however - I've seen some really nice two tone colored bikes here on this site that looked very sharp. So as the majority here screamed out loud - don't go black...

I guess the only advice I can offer is get the bike running really well, clean it up and start changing it from that point. It would be a damn shame to put a lot of money into custom parts if the bike doesn't start. The main point is to have fun. That's what I do and the rest of the wankers can piss off.

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey, i know exactly where you are coming from as far as having a target. i had a picture of an RD that moto carrera built as my inspiration. i added my own flair and it has lots of differences, but its close. but geet, though really harsh, does have his points. listen to him, but you'll have to get a little tougher skin to hang here. keep doing what you are doing, build what you want, but just remember by posting stuff, you are leaving yourself WIDE OPEN for critism. by the way, nice street fighter!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Geeto...like I said...you are "that guy"..I knew it from your first post.

I never said I wanted only positive opinions....I just wanted opinions on the paint potentials, as well as white walls, yay or nay. Maybe I should have made that clear in the first post...but the group of everyone else that responded....only responded to those points. You, mr know it all, started in with why worry about paint first.....you should do this and that ..yada yada yada.

here's a clue...terms and phrases like " you may as well build a chopper" and " that's counter productive".....both opinions...both useless....and both tend to rub people the wrong way.

I can appreciate any knowledge and useful information you may have from owning so many bikes...CB's......but give it when asked for....and leave the side of " I know every fucking there is to know about CB's,and you must build a cafe racer this way....." bullshit for someone who will bow down to you...cause I sure as fuck won't.

next time I post something...for you...I'll be more specific....such as "what do yo think of this paint scheme versus that one"....as opposed to leaving it open for you analyze every aspect of someone's( not even mine) 10 minute photoshop job.

Bmartin. Thanks. I appreciate that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Tyler....don't worry...I have plenty thick skin....just no aversion to argue with guys with big E dicks who think they know everything and their opinion is the only right one.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
I am not saying you must build your bike any way...I am telling you that with that wreck you dragged home thinking about paint is premature. really premature. That was my paint opinion and you got it. I don't care what everyone else responded to, if you put it out there it is fair game. you don't like it tough shit.

I could care less about people bowing down, hurt feelings, etc...dude this is the internet, it isn't real...the server crashes tomorrow none of this will have happened. point is you put it out there you can't control where it goes. don't like it buy a fucking helmet and wear it all the time.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Geeto is "that guy" now, not me anymore!!!

Doug,
Everybody else that has tried name calling and profanity directed at others(profanity in and of itself is fun) has not faired well. But, feel free to have at it if you want, this is the internet after all, not reality.

Ken
P.S. You haven't filled out your bio.
What kind of beer do you drink?
Which is better, Gin or Vodka?

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Fucking touchy-feely threads.... love 'em.

Anyone who likes those white walls, show up to the NHMS event in the fall. We'll get y'all to line up so we can kick you in the nuts.

White walls.... lol.

·
Registered
699 Posts
yeah, name calling with geet will get you nowhere, respect him as an elder...for he is wise! kinda like the fruitcake lady that used to be on jay leno! HAHAHAHA!! cool those jets a little bit, grab a chair and just hang out. remember...none of this is real!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Geeto: You are "that guy"...got it...I'll take your replies with a grain of salt...since its you, " that guy".....I'll take what I can use, and throw away the rest. You don't like either paint idea..not necessarily because of the paint idea itself, but because its too premature to think about painting yet...ok, got it, thanks.

Ken: Yeah, the internet is the internet....I have been on it since Al Gore invented it...LOL Its all good, of the hours upon hours I have spent online in bike boards..very rarely do I have threads go the way this one went...but such is life.

UW: Not a fan of white walls either..ok, duly noted. :)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Yeah, We are not like most other boards. We can go a whole different way at the drop of a hat.

Ken

Did you fill out your bio yet?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
what is with you guys and the bios? ...LOL I'd put in what beer or hard drink I like.....but I fear there would be too many critics.....ha ha ha.

Tyler...I try to respect the elders....but it comes from mutual respect..and its earned, not just given. I'll respect his knowledge...but his tact, delivery....ehhhhh, they still need work, in my opinion. :)

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
quote:Originally posted by kenessex......(profanity in and of itself is fun)......
PISSFUCKSHITGEETOBITCHWHOR........you're right! [}:)]

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
swagger...wow my name is a swear now...I feel so honored.

doug...since you are in jersey, why not come to the NY works show in brooklyn (see ROKOS's post for details). At the very least you can meet "that guy" in person, if not you can see some cool NYC motorcy stuff and maybe learn a little about old bikes and the currmugeon-y fuckers that tinker with them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

swagger...wow my name is a swear now...I feel so honored.

doug...since you are in jersey, why not come to the NY works show in brooklyn (see ROKOS's post for details). At the very least you can meet "that guy" in person, if not you can see some cool NYC motorcy stuff and maybe learn a little about old bikes and the currmugeon-y fuckers that tinker with them.
yeah, I heard about that thing going on....some CR fans on another bikeboard I am on, mentioned it....its in Brooklyn, right? I wish I could make it, but I can't. Its the wife's parents' last weekend here in NJ....before moving down to FLA. Sunday is usually family day...so especially this Sunday.

feel free to inform me of future events though....I am all up for meeting fuckers from online. :)

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
The black bike looks just like my bike. Once I get some more cash I'm going down to Wal Mart and picking up a new can of paint so no more flat black. Hell it's not even flat black. It's high temp bbq grill black. lol.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Geets: <hypnotic voice>.....feel the humor.......see the humor.......</hypnotic voice>

Just think, you could end up famous! Just like Thomas Crapper.....
http://www.theplumber.com/crapper.html

21 - 40 of 51 Posts