which rendition do you like better?

4K views 50 replies 22 participants last post by  Wanker 
#1 ·
A guy on another board did some renditions for me:

A ( not nec. with gold USD forks)

or B

See less See more
#7 ·
the red one is unique, even with the white walls it's kinda cool. its got personality, but i'd make it solid red. my take on flat black: its getting over done (but i still like it).
flat black is stupid if you say to yourself: "everyone will think my
flat black bike is cool."

flack black is cool if you say to yourself: "i LOVE flat black, i don't care what anyone else thinks."

if you do something so that others will like it, you kinda missed the point of doing it!

#9 ·
i agree with the red side covers and think that a useable set of tires minus the WW's would look slick. realy like the invert fork set up. with some clip-on's and rear set you will be looking good.

#11 ·
...please god no flat black!!!

red's good. i like red. or match the factory orange on the tank as it is now. i love those old colors.

white walls on a 70's vintage honda are simply GHEY!

and do please consider rearsets. those bars, that seat...without 'em, it's simply not finished and screams wannabe.

#14 ·
For what ever reason - black always looks cool - but everyone (including me) has a black honda paint scheme. I agree the red looks pretty nice between the two schemes. I might add that on the seat hump, you might consider a little stripping to match the tank. That might add a balance effect to the entire bike.

As far as the white walls on the tires - you might be hard pressed to find tires with the white walls to begin with - or it will at min reduce your selection of tires. While I have nothing against white walls - my take on white walls is this is more inline with bobbers than cafe.

just my 2cents

#15 ·
finding a ww tire for a cb750 is not difficult - most harley tires are about the same size and will fit. The problems are:

1) ww tires are usually touring tires not high performance

2) white walls on performance motorcycle don't mix. remember a cafe racer is a performance bike, even if you are leaving the drivetrain stock, just lightening the bike is a perfromance enhancement and should be something you are striving toward.

really I don't like either rendition because, frankly they are unrealistic. paint is the last thing you will do, talking about it now when there are so many other things to figure out is counter productive.

#18 ·
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

really I don't like either rendition because, frankly they are unrealistic. paint is the last thing you will do, talking about it now when there are so many other things to figure out is counter productive.
Interesting line of thought. I personally like to get a vision of what I want to build...and if a photo-shopper pal can do that...then so be it. I then build the bike to what I had envisioned, which is hopefully either close to, or better than what I had envisioned. I guess for me, again personally, its nice to see the end, and figure out along the way how to get to that end.

here is a link to a GSXR 600 street fighter build I am just about done with:

http://home.comcast.net/~dougzweb2/build.html

pic:

This bike is basically coming out just like a drawing that I did when I first started with a pile of parts, shown in the first pic on links build page....warning.....extremely pic heavy.

So, "counterproductive" is relative to who is doing the building I suppose.

Also interesting to me is the "performance" concerns for the tires. I am not gonna try the performance side of this bike too much....its really more of just a fun project bike. I am gonna get a good tire that I can trust...white wall or not, but certainly not gonna push the boundaries of handling on a 30 year old machine.

I wanna get a knee down, trust me, I do it with more current, more performance based bikes:

#19 ·
you won't "get a knee down on a cb750 anyway, most times the engine cases touch down before you come close to running out of tire.

however, if you are going to come at it as a "styling exercise" you should know that a pure cafe racer is a "race bike for the street" in that everything you do to the bike should have a function. If form is more important to you you may as well be building a chopper.

why I thought your drawings were kind of a jack off was it doesn't solve the following issues:

- bars - clubmans or clipons? with clubmans and the stock mater cylinder you cannot run stock gauges. with clipons wou can't run stock fork ears. with either, and if you are 5'10" or taller, you can't run stock pegs without the bike becoming a torture rack.

- lighting - the drawing has an impossible headlight mount and location. are you going to fab it? tailights? plate mount?

- rearsets: going for solo and low bar you might as well set the bike up properly. otherwise it will be a torture rack

- side covers - you going to make them yourself? buy aftermarket? seek out originals? going to use K or F side covers?

- seat - are you going to make your own? buy? you seem pretty comitted to the shape is that because you don't know there are others out there?

you "mockup" shows a color and a seat...and um...maybe handlebars. that is it. not really useful to me unless you want to figure out color or seat.

I don't know how much "old bike" expirence you have but a SOHC cb750 isn't like riding a modern bike at all. despite being one of the easier old bikes to ride it will demand a lot more out of you at highway speed than a modern sportbike will at 120.

#20 ·
anything but black (tire walls excepted) therefore, top one w/ stock paint. and while you're at it, the upside down fork w/o some beast brakes sends a mixed message, put the wave rotors and brembos to her, and a 4 into 4 jemco megs. this will be a hugely entertaining motorcycle, although could result in somewhat less enthusiastic neighbors (mostly 'cause of those rockin' jemcos). Do it.
my 2 cents.
cheers, bcr

#21 ·
OK, I see that you are " that guy" for this board...Geeto. Forgive me if I am reading you all wrong, and your intent was not to come off like the high and mighty cafe racer mater.

I see from my other post, that most people took the renditions for what they were...just checking out color options and getting some opinions...not actually thinking everything in the pic was to be exactly what I was gonna do......as stated in all of your "jack off" points. Seat, tail, gauge mounts...I can fabricate what I need to. Again, not gonna be a 100% back to stock resto project...so I can mount the headlight and master cylinder where and how I want.

I'll build a chopper sooner or later...but not with this bike. This will be my version of a cafe racer...even if it doesn't fit the "die hards" version of what is a cafe racer. The thing about being a die hard and having to follow rules.....this has to be this way, that has to be that way......not my style......being a sheep and following the rest herd just doesn't work for me.

For me, having a bike from this era, using clubmans or clip ons, and having that straight body line through tank and tail is all that is really important to me. Everything else I can wing...as far as I am concerned.

I understand full well the concept of form over function....but correct me if I am wrong...but that was from a time you needed to do that extreme styling/building, because there were not other faster bikes out. You had to do what you could to make your bike faster than the next guy's. Modern days...you want something faster...there are other bikes out there.

I am sorry if I offend anyone else on this board for what I have said above....except Geeto. For what ever reason, you have had some sort of issue as soon as I stared my other introduction post. I don't know your issue is, but kindly get over it, or refrain from posting in my threads. Ten other guys have posted in my what,...two threads, and none have had the chip that you seem to have. To me, that makes you odd man out.

#22 ·
refrain from posting in your thread? you have to be fucking kidding.

you put it out on the internet looking for opinons and you got them, I can't believe you are retarded enough to think they would all be positive. there is a lot of useful info there, that what you want, it is a gift.

This isn't a "touchy feely, you bought a cafe racer yay!" kinda site. You ask for opionions and you will get them and they won't all be nice and pretty.

BTW, I don't know if you know what kind of bike it is you bought but having owned over 20 cb750s (and I currently own 8) of just about every model and year, let me give you some more advice. The motor on the bike is bulletproof, everything else in stock trim is shit. That stock disc brake - yeah it is pretty weak, takes a manly grab to hunker this thing down at speed. I ride with a single disc on my stocker every day but it is not something everyone can do, it brings new definition to the words "anticipatory braking". Shocks, well soft as you can get, bike will wallow in turns. The front end...honda toyed around with anti dive based on their expirence of balancing a 500 lbs bike on 35mm forks, and the damn things distort if you go fenderless. Don't forget the front end wobbles on deceleration if you don't run a ribbed tire - design defect it will always do it. but hey you know all this...right...i mean far be it from me to "slam" you for making a conscious choice to build a cafe racer but not actually improve the bike any.

#23 ·
Dougz - Don't let Geeto get to you too much, he bangs everyone and we all take it with a grain of salt. I think he's an ok guy but can come-on little strong sometimes, but he does make you think.

As far as what you want to do with your 750 - (you got a great deal on this sucker) you can go in any direction you want. The extreme would be with clipons, rearsets, modern forks, custom tank, custom seat...on and on. Most folks take their bikes as far as their wallets will want to take them for a project. In most cases - you'll never get your money out of the bike unless you had the bike in a dozen magazines and you have a buyer that's just dying to get your bike. I believe your like the most of us where you want to have it customized enough to make your own statement and have it as a nice ride on the street.

I'm including what I've done with my 750 - a very mild cafe style custom that's gets noticed and is a nice ride on the street.

I have a friend of mine that has taken his 750 to the limits (I don't have a picture yet but will post it as soon as I can get one), that includes R1 front end, clipons, rear set, cut custom frame, 836 motor...etc. He cut the lower part of his frame (under the engine) and welded frame supports all over the frame. It's so rad we call it franken-monster. An yes it is flat black too. lol

Mine bike has been this color since 1972 - so I'm too old to change the color - however - I've seen some really nice two tone colored bikes here on this site that looked very sharp. So as the majority here screamed out loud - don't go black...

I guess the only advice I can offer is get the bike running really well, clean it up and start changing it from that point. It would be a damn shame to put a lot of money into custom parts if the bike doesn't start. The main point is to have fun. That's what I do and the rest of the wankers can piss off.

#24 ·
hey, i know exactly where you are coming from as far as having a target. i had a picture of an RD that moto carrera built as my inspiration. i added my own flair and it has lots of differences, but its close. but geet, though really harsh, does have his points. listen to him, but you'll have to get a little tougher skin to hang here. keep doing what you are doing, build what you want, but just remember by posting stuff, you are leaving yourself WIDE OPEN for critism. by the way, nice street fighter!

#25 ·
Geeto...like I said...you are "that guy"..I knew it from your first post.

I never said I wanted only positive opinions....I just wanted opinions on the paint potentials, as well as white walls, yay or nay. Maybe I should have made that clear in the first post...but the group of everyone else that responded....only responded to those points. You, mr know it all, started in with why worry about paint first.....you should do this and that ..yada yada yada.

here's a clue...terms and phrases like " you may as well build a chopper" and " that's counter productive".....both opinions...both useless....and both tend to rub people the wrong way.

I can appreciate any knowledge and useful information you may have from owning so many bikes...CB's......but give it when asked for....and leave the side of " I know every fucking there is to know about CB's,and you must build a cafe racer this way....." bullshit for someone who will bow down to you...cause I sure as fuck won't.

next time I post something...for you...I'll be more specific....such as "what do yo think of this paint scheme versus that one"....as opposed to leaving it open for you analyze every aspect of someone's( not even mine) 10 minute photoshop job.

Bmartin. Thanks. I appreciate that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.