Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright you guys, we have not heard alot out of girlnamedgo in quite some time. I suspect one of you wierdos may have had something to do with it.......

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
the do the ton forum tend to be the popular place for people who just want cafe looking bikes with little understanding about good motorcycles.....

I am not saying go was this type of person - just talking about the do the ton site in general.

the thing that frosts my buttons about that place is some of the stuff they doing over there are things members of this forum have been doing for years and suddenly they think their forum members have "original ideas" the use of a spare tank as a seat bubble comes to mind.....

Lately there seem to be some people on that site who actually do quality work and know what they are doing....which means their site will grow in popularity. I don't really care about who is popular or what but I do care when the masses butcher things that have intrinsic culture for the sake of instant cool - something I think dotheton kinda helps....

sometimes I wonder how much my abrasiveness and low tolerance for newbies hurts this site....been laying low for a while now to see what comes of it...oh and I moved so now my only internet access is a work computer.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I talk to her on the phone somewhat regularly

she's a real sweetheart and I'm 100% certain I've not offended her

·
Premium Member
1,645 Posts
There's a guy there (a mod) that goes on and brags about these really nice original parts that he destroys to make things like seat stops, etc.

What a f**khead. We need to get the quality folks there over here.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Getting ripped by someone who knows their sheit is part of the charm. Anyone who has loitered here knows that score. My personal favorite is the deafening silence of zero responses after a particularly bad noob post. I imagine all you guys deleting your most punishing remarks to the sound of chirping crickets and rusting ford pickups.

Congrats on the new digs. cheers. bcr

·
Registered
699 Posts
hey geet, being the new guy just comes with the bad part too...i was a noob here not too long ago!! most people can't take getting shut down on something and that is when they find a wussy forum like dotheton might be (havent been there). i fit in here with you guys and ken, geet, and hack have answered any question i have asked perfectly, so i see no reason to go to another forum. i like the "closeness" on here anyway. we are pretty small, but we have a ton of knowledge and resources and i dont know about you guys, but i have a lot of fun here. i have been on s10forum for a while now, and when i started over there, it was a lot more close knit and now its so huge that it is ruined. anyway...thats my rant

·
Registered
699 Posts
im with rosko geet, you are a part of this forum more than most. if they can't handle the heat, get out of our kitchen. it is kinda like that saying "i live in my own little world, but its ok, they all like me here" i think having a tight core group is a hell of a lot cooler than being one in a sea of dumbasses

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm a newb here and I find it welcoming, but people will let you know if you've stuffed something or got the wrong idea. If you can accept advice, you'll appreciate it, if not you'll go somewhere else. I think that's why this forum is more genuine cafe.

There certainly is some dumb stuff going on at dotheton. One CB550 I saw, the gear selector arm on the engine was nearly horizontal because the push/pull rod in the kit was too long. That and bending rear brake pull rods.

Scott

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I am on DTT as well but mainly just stalk and look at pictures. The majority of them seem as if they are one step above scooter trash (sorry scooter aficianados). Yeah i have had people ignore posts and give smart ass responses, whatever. Its like going to a swap meet and dealing with some know-it-all old guy who loves showing off his stuff more than selling it.

·
Registered
204 Posts
hm i've been on here more than dotheton. i just fixed up a 1980 pacer super sport, i've decided to go all out on my 350 rather than something a bit more ratty like my cb550. i just started working.. for the first time in 10 months.. so i will have the funds to support this sort of spending on the 350

·
Registered
204 Posts
oh and i fixed up the super sport so i'd have some way to get to work while i work on the 350. the threads where the spark plugs go in are completely destroyed. i suspect metal shavings in the cylinder head. actually, this finding is what really inspired me to modify the bike more. my logic: if i already have to pull the bike apart more than i'd originally intended, why not make some upgrades while at it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
quote:Originally posted by Geeto67

sometimes I wonder how much my abrasiveness and low tolerance for newbies hurts this site....been laying low for a while now to see what comes of it
That's exactly why I joined this site. If I have a stupid idea, I want someone to tell me that. I've seen some real shit builds out there that people endorse, and I struggle to get behind that. This board seems to be about builders, which is also why I like it.

--Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
i would much rather someone be a little brutal if i make a stupid move, rather than paying for it on a test ride. y'all are great, don't change for anything, especially newbs ;)

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
lee,

you have a type 1 motor right?

if so, keep the cam and rockers, bore out to a 4th oversize (1mm over) and install those pistons (dixie international should still have them, or maybe rice paddy.....)

then add some vp u4 fuel, and LOOKOUT!

cheers,

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
tt took my advice and now he consistently kicks my ass with this formula.

tex

·
Administrator
10,737 Posts
course you could use some reverse cone meggies and a dyna or pvl ignition too.

tex

·
Registered
222 Posts
quote:Originally posted by texmawby

lee,

you have a type 1 motor right?

if so, keep the cam and rockers, bore out to a 4th oversize (1mm over) and install those pistons (dixie international should still have them, or maybe rice paddy.....)

then add some vp u4 fuel, and LOOKOUT!

cheers,

tex
What's vp u4 fuel? I have the type 1 motor, and I'm considering a rebuild.

BTW, I don't think the Do The Ton is bad, just different. I do really appreciate the knowledge-base over here though.

--Thanks, Chris

·
Registered
204 Posts
i was thinking of using the dyna ignition. and i'm also wondering about this vp u4 fuel
which pistons do you mean now? i was thinking of going for the todd henning pistons. i hear good things..

1 - 20 of 40 Posts