Cafe Racer Forum banner

41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I've met Dennis Manning, the Bub crew, and two of his pilots. Two or three times, over the years. He discussed with me the bikes ignition system failures and adjusting the vehicle to remain stable in light crosswinds, one day.

It's funny when I think about it. I've met Trett, Manning, Burgess, IOM TT and IOM Classic racers, British Superstock, Minitwins and Superbike racers, GP and WSBK racers and some crew. I know a top fuel Harley champion, and championship winning Prostock drag racers, personally. Geese, I get around, don't I ?

Witworth's believe it, or not.

Danger, is my business."
Which means what, you met some people. All those people are people who have done things the world knows about. You have done nothing?
Are you saying the vehicle will not accelerate past max torque?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
It seems I'm damn good at collecting idiots, who show far too much disrespect directed towards me.

It's rather funny.

Danger, is my business."
Funny that the only thing you say you collect is idiots. That's some following to be proud of. Are you a member of any forum that respects you, I doubt it.

·
Banned
4,894 Posts
Funny that the only thing you say you collect is idiots. That's some following to be proud of. Are you a member of any forum that respects you, I doubt it.
Not short of idiots on the Internet.

I don't really strive to get respect, and frankly I don't really care very much about getting any, on the net or in real life. Regardless, I get plenty respect and rep in real life, without even trying. Go figure. Works for me.

Danger, is my business."

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The problem is finding eough decent salt to run on. The salt that the mining company is pumping back is pure shit. With the minerals removed it doesn't form long crystal and provide a good hard surface. The rains over the winter caused a lot of runoff from the mountains and put a lot of mud on the salt. The SCTA posted on their FB page this afternoon that there WILL be two courses this year. The longest being three timed miles. That was after saying they will be going out to see what the conditions are like. I don't understand but take a look at their page on FB. Sure hope they are right. Keep on getting ready anyway.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #50 (Edited)
Would the Metro be able to run on a short course? That car is so fast it must need a fair bit of distance to wind up.
As you can see from the time slip on our first World Record that we need every bit of the 5 miles. We gained 7mph in that last mile. Normally when we are there, our 1st time, at the 2 mile marker is 6mph faster than anyone else in class could get at the 5 mile marker.

I think the crosswind killed us on that run and we were lucky to come away with the record. As you can see on the qualifying run we were 13mph faster at the 2 mile marker and bit faster out the gate. Still need all 5 miles though to get that last 7mph out of it.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Dang! You do need the five miles. Picking it up all the way to the five. If they run a three mile course it would almost be a waste for you (looking at the time slip) 18 mph is a big difference.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Dang! You do need the five miles. Picking it up all the way to the five. If they run a three mile course it would almost be a waste for you (looking at the time slip) 18 mph is a big difference.
The difference of a record or not.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
;) time to hit the nitrous
Nitrous would put you in a different class. Nitrous is not allowed in the class with our truck.
Here's a couple of teaser shots of the truck build.

Record sits at 219.+mph, we are shooting for the 240mph range.

·
Registered
10,450 Posts
I keep hearing that things do not look good for the salt this year

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The salt is being destroyed by the mining company. The BLM doesn't give a shit. The weather over the winter hasn't been good. The SCTA is up there over the weekend trying to find some good salt to run on. So far the talk is of two short (3 mile) courses. That doesn't do Marc's comp coupe any good. Or any of the other bikes and cars that need 5 miles. I'm a bottom feeder so I'm restricted to the short course (you have to be able to run over 175 to run the long course). The decision is expected today or tomorrow.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Emails last week from SCTA said a decision would be made today. I imagine the short course wouldn't do the truck well either. Although with basically the same motor but more horsepower if we could get the truck moving off the line fast the speed might be attainable on a short course. We are at 240 at the 2 mile marker in the Metro. If we can accelerate the truck the same the aerodynamic disadvantage may not come into effect until the 4th or 5th mile and won't be an issue for the record.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This is just beyond sad. Two years in a row. Not only for the racers and spectators. But the town of Wendover. I'm really sorry guys.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts