Cafe Racer Forum banner

61 - 80 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
That sucks the big one. I don't give a rats about Wendover. The hotels stick it to everyone for SpeedWeek and the other meets there. I feel bad for the overseas guys who are making long trips. Now for nothing.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #62 (Edited)
That sucks the big one. I don't give a rats about Wendover. The hotels stick it to everyone for SpeedWeek and the other meets there. I feel bad for the overseas guys who are making long trips. Now for nothing.
Isn't this advance enough that the overseas guys haven't left yet. That's why they called it so early. El Mirage is closed right now also due to rain water.
Just talked with Bob and our only choice left is the Sept. event at Ohio. Hopefully I can have the bike ready to go at the same time.
Curious to see what the weather will hold for World Finals.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
The bikes that are coming by surface are either here or almost here. All they can do is eat the shipping and send them back That's what stinks. Lars Neilsen from Denmark airfreights his bike when he comes. He hadn't shipped yet so he's good. I live about 70 miles from El MIrage. If it isn't flooded with all the rain that came through in the lat three days then God was watching out for it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
The bikes that are coming by surface are either here or almost here. All they can do is eat the shipping and send them back That's what stinks. Lars Neilsen from Denmark airfreights his bike when he comes. He hadn't shipped yet so he's good. I live about 70 miles from El MIrage. If it isn't flooded with all the rain that came through in the lat three days then God was watching out for it.
Mirage is closed right now due to flooding.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
I saw a photo on another site and its got close to a foot of water on it. If we can get some wind to blow it around there should be a good surface to race on in Sept. Or maybe Oct.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hey Narc. I saw this on FB this morning. The salt doesn't look too good at all.

Then an hour or so later Mike Cook posts that they will start grooming tonight for his shoot out. Color me confused.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I went out Sunday. It was wet, but the salt was hard and seemed solid. Remember two or three years ago it stuck to everything? Kinda surprised it was way better than I thought it would be.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #69 (Edited)
Hey Narc. I saw this on FB this morning. The salt doesn't look too good at all.

Then an hour or so later Mike Cook posts that they will start grooming tonight for his shoot out. Color me confused.

I've been called Marcotic, but I've never been a Narc. looks pretty dismal with the weather there in the video, never seen it that over cast.

The Shootout is still over a month away, the week before World Finals. I think we are going to Ohio instead in Sept.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Nope, Looks like if World Finals is actually on we will be going to Bonneville instead of Ohio. We want to try for the big numbers before gong back to Ohio where Bob thinks he can set the overall track record with the Metro (currently 244+mph). Then Bob will sell the Metro less engine/trans., and then probably only run one more year and sell the S-10. Right now our class record sits at 219.9mph, and that was set with missing gears and tranny issues that have been sorted. I should have taken some better shots of the S-10 today but I was busy changing shocks on my truck and forgot, I'll get some tomorrow or Wed when Wayne Jesel shows up with the loaner engine.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
If the weather co-operates and WF is on I'll be there. Spent last weekend helping a friend run at the Mojave Mile. An SCTA run consolation prize for Bonneville. The stunner of the weekend was Alp Sungertekin's 650 Triumph. Running a large dose of nitro he ran an astounding 169 mph!!

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The answer to the Title question and World Finals is No One. That sucks, mother nature is just not into motor racing. Fortunately for me Ohio is closer and takes up less of my time away from my business. Hopefully come home with a few records set and broken. Tidied up some wiring and worked on getting the side windows spaced and ready to install tomorrow on the S-10

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Bonneville may be down but that isn't slowing us down any. Almost completed on the S-10 build.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Are you going to make it to Ohio? I saw my first paved mile a few weeks ago. The Bonneville "substitute" the Mojave Mile run by the SCTA. Interesting and if desperate enough I could run it.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Yes, less to do to the truck than when we built the Metro where we were still working on it the morning we loaded to go to B'ville We still need to get the Metro ready too. Still got 2+ weeks.

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Hey Marc. Just been watching the "Big Red Camaro" on CSNBC. The Metro and my sidecar made cameo (read split second) appearances. If you get it check it out. Repeat is noon Pacific on Wed.

·
Registered
7,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Hey Marc. Just been watching the "Big Red Camaro" on CSNBC. The Metro and my sidecar made cameo (read split second) appearances. If you get it check it out. Repeat is noon Pacific on Wed.
Recorded the Big Red show from the salt today. I'll comment on your cameo after I view it.
Had trouble with the S-10, ready to fire it for first time and ................no spark. Went through everything, found nothing. Finally decided to try new ignition box and it fired right up. Bad Crane ignition box right out of the new package.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I attended the mile run up at Loring AFB in Northern Maine two weeks ago. The event was hosted by the Loring Timing Group and it was a sanction SLR event. I have some pictures on my phone that I'll have to update later. I had never attended an event like this - track safety was 100% but you could walk around and talk with any of the racers. The timing was for the 1 and 1.5 mile marks. A few machines that caught my attention:
-1974 CB750 with full fairing, 31mm CR carbs, cam and pipe with 1st overbore pistons high compression ran 107 in the mile. He had gear set at 2.50 and I asked him if he ran out of gears or motor. Pretty slow when the stock cb would run 125 out of the box. I know for a fact my everyday rider would have wooped this guy in the dirt. At the drag strip I was running near his top speed in the quarter..
-1978 1000 Suzuki that ran 117mph without a fairing.
- 120cu HD turbo that ran 198 without a fairing.
- VW pasade that ran 151 in the mile. A VW???
- 2014 Camaro that ran 160 - nice
- 2015 dodge hell cat that ran 200 - very nice
- HD shovehead that ran in the 150's
- Turbo Hyabusa that ran 230's in the mile

They run this event 3 times per year - sure would like to attend with a few bikes next year...
-

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Open pits and being able to get up close to the bikes is one of the great thing about LSR. A friend of mine in Canada was there with a blown 650 Triumph. He had more than his share of problems and only got one run in at 120. Respectable for a first time out and a lot of problems. Sometimes you show up with a killer bike and run like a dog. If he gets the Honda sorted he may fly next year. A lot of people think LSR? Oh yeah. Just show up and run a record. No problem. A lot of times it doesn't work that way. Last time I was at Bonneville I was running on a soft record. A Bonneville record is the average of two runs. My first run was 8 mph over the record. Piece of cake. I hurt a piston and didn't have a spare. So the rest of the week was spent trying to put to runs together over the record. I think I made nine runs before I got the record by .511 mph. Sometimes the gods of speed smile on you. Other times the kick you in the nuts.

This is Ray's Triumph almost finished. When he gets it sorted it should be in the 145-150 range.

61 - 80 of 103 Posts