Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I freaking want it my way damit!
I dont want to be forced to only have a sunroof if I am willing to also have a tea kettle in the glovebox!

But really I am poking around thinking about buying a new vehicle. I have ADD to what I am looking at changes every other day.
Today I was thinking about a half tone truck. I figure I live in upstate NY and it just is kinda the thing to do. I don't have a far commute and its only money so gas milage doesn't matter to me. So I wanted a GMC. Goal was to have a short box and a regular cab. Want leather with bucket seats. And want the 6.2L V8 engine instead of the 5.3L. Well cant have the 6.2 in the regular cab, nor can you have the bucket seats! What the actual fuck? I can see that this would not be a huge selling combo and that my local dealer would not stock it. But why the hell cant they just build it for me? These are all options that already bolt into these things. Not like I am asking them to put the motor in the back of a Vette or to put the magnetic ride in a cobalt. Do they even make the cobalt any more?

Anyway, my rant is over.
Is COPO still a thing?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
you must be assimilated and buy what they tell you you want.

·
Registered
745 Posts
It used to be down to brand/model encroachment.

But imagine it like this: hungry jacks may offer you choice on their ads to get you in. But do you really think the poor schmo making your flame grilled whopper with lets say double gherkins, only half a slice of cheese but not in half (must be cut, "not torn you minimum wage earning drone! The customer is always right! I wanna talk to the manager" and laid out in the pattern of a maltese cross), and only use a bun where at least 70% of the sesame seeds are pointing in a uniform direction, and lettuce and tomato in separate zip lock sachets so you can put them on later in an appropriate feng shui layout, is thinking "gee whiz, i am an artiste and am contributing to a better happier world in which diversity is lauded and i'm the death knell of cookie cutter one size fits all consumerism", or just waiting till you look down at your wallet to pay so they can sneak a big gooey spit into the mayo?

i'm not saying they wouldn't have an artistic side, but for the however many hours they are in zombie motor skills mode making standard burger after standard burger, chances are they just want to get all things done at least uniformly bad and to a set pattern. Henry ford is to blame. He could have diversified and given us kentucky ford chicken, mcfordalds, fordco bell or a multitude of other things, but he left that to others to drive assembly line workers insane through task repetition. "Any burger you like, so long as it's black".

i feel your pain as though not to the exagerated doctrine above, i too have no doubt consumed large levels of preparation staff saliva as i don't usually want what i'm paying for, as they want to provide it to me. Yes, i will often pay extra whether asked or not for the privelege but i don't assume that in spite of a have it your way sign out the front, i'm their target audience.

is there a direct proportional correlation of fast food workers making cafe racers to "make it mine", as there will be to auto assembly line workers who go home at the end of the day and attempt culinary exquisites to break their own personal mould i wonder?

i will never but any new vehicle. None specifically offers just what i want. Not saying you and i (and everyone else) are elite for wanting an odd option combo, but if we were to say, be elite en masse and order our one of a kind, create your own limited edition style, "make this just what i want" in an ordered quantity of say 100,000 identical elite special order cars with deposits on them already taken, we'll stand a better chance of it happening. For that reason, i hope you want your GMC in flouro lime green and tangerine leopard print paint with the same skittles patterned interior trim as i do or you'll blow the whole deal for us.

Or, alternately, buy the least non compliant to your tastes model tier that they make as it is, drive it around a few years and then sell it while putting the money you saved not ticking all the non compliant options and pour it into a bike that makes you feel that you were ultimately responsible (budget and reality allowing, do not buy a genuine SS100 or a manx or a green frame duc and then make knee dents, in the rear mudguard, with a paisley vinyl inlay) for how it turns out. You may not love what you buy heart and soul, but you also don't have to keep it forever, or box stock either. I don't like aftermarket wings or spoilers but i certainly change little things that make me feel better which is why i have an alloy rim collection bordering on stupid and my nissan has a pair of metal horns from a seventies chrysler. But i always retain what i take off as well.

Reactions: thechief86

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Don't mess with the Denali, or as they say at my kid's kindergarten, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Also STFU and finance it for 84 months like a good boy.

:p (you know i am just poking right?)

·
Registered
476 Posts
I'd almost kill for a Toyota with a diesel powerplant. Have them everywhere but the US. Instead, I am stuck with the '13 Tacoma with a V6 that gets 15mpg.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
What the fuck is this shit about leather in a single cab pickup truck?

Also it sounds like you want to build a modern 4x4 version of the SS454, which of course chevy won't let you do.

Just buy a raptor, you know that's what you want.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
By the way, the dodge 1500 sport has everything you want but the leather buckets. 400hp 5.7 hemi, 4x4, regular cab 6'4" box, 3.92 LSD, etc.

by the way, if you go to the 2500 series at chevy/gmc you can have everything you want except the short bed (all 2500s are long bed) but you'll pay $45k for the privilege.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Ordering cars used to be that way in the 60's and 70's. Endless choice of colors, interiors, engines, etc. It was great when the Big 3 had no competition. When the Japanese started exporting their cars to the US things changed quickly. Walk on a Honda, Datsun, or Toyota lot and you'd get one or two color choices and a couple of bundled option packages to choose from. It didn't take long for the Big 3 to follow suit.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dodge is the only outfit that will make what I want.
but I want a GMC.

Reactions: Ichiban Moto

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Sounds like the desire for the 6.2L is what is holding you back. It only comes in the Denali package and I can see why GMC wants to keep the cache on that brand - it is the cream of the crop across all GMC models. I'm sure you can add aftermarket to produce more than the 6.2L. The 6.2L also requires premium fuel. Is the 5.7L all that bad?

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
I don't know why you'd want a newer gm 4x4 anyway, the electric 4wd is a joke and stops working if it gets wet.

GM was the first to ditch solid axles, and the cv axles they use are about as big as your thumb. I guess if you leave it stock, don't put a plow on it, and just use it for transportation, it will last a long time. But if you take it out and treat it the way I treat my jeeps's in the woods, it just wouldn't hold up. But again, no need to go out and thrash a nice new truck anyway.
A 1/2 ton doesn't fit between the trees around here anyway, haha.

·
Registered
10,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You don't need the Denali package for the 6.2, but can't get it in a single cab.
i just want the 6.2 over the 5.3
they don't offer the 5.7 or 6.0 any more.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts