Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy over at the JockeyJournal boards sent me over here saying you guys might be able to help. I guess I should prolly be here since my '75 CB360t is more cafe like anyways... haha. Well my tach is busted on my CB360 (stock tach) but the drive cable is good and the cable is rotating nicely, so leads me to believe my tach is the issue. Anyways I was looking over at http://cyclexchange.net/Honda Page.htm and saw these nice mini tachs for the 750. Will these even work with a CB360 or do the 2 engines have different drive ratio tachs or different size cables etc? If these do not work can someone point me in the direction of a replacement tach for my CB360. Thanks for any info and help.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Tach drives should be different between the twins and the fours, heck even the fours have completely different tach drives from each other.

Those mini gauges are usually not the most accurate things on the planet. I wouldn't use them for racing or anywhere I needed an accurate tach reading even if the drive ratio was correct. JC whitney sells them too (or cheaper versions of) and they usually list them in a couple of different ratios, but to be honest I wouldn't bother.

now, an electronic tach is not a bad way to go. Someone here posted a summit tach that was pretty cheap and pretty accurate. autometer makes electronic tachs under the procycle heading, you might want to look at those:

http://procycle.autometer.com/

Edit: Someone on the SOHC board mentioned that the 360T might have the same ratio as the 350 four, 400F, 500, 550 fours. That ratio would be 20:3. I have not verified it but it seems plausable. You can probably find used 360 tachs on ebay if you look.

750s have 4:1 ratios so obviously this will not be accurate with your 360.

One way you can test a tach's accuracy is with a dwell meter. Dwell meters have built in electronic tachs and you can compare your readings on the meter to your actual tach (and set the dwell on your points at the same time).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will look into this drive ratio... anyone else have a clue? 20:3, I will see what I can find on other forums. Thanks for the help.

BTW is it easy to get a electric tach working with points? I guess some searching will answer that also. Thanks again for all the info Geeto67

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok cool, thanks for the info. Any idea where I can find a reasonable aftermarket mechanical tach then? Or am i left to finding a used one or switching to an electric tach?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts