Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the engine in my 75 CB360 has seen better days. Im pretty new to the motorcycle scene, but have read about the 350 twins reliability and successes over the 360. My question is, if i find a 350 twin, will it mount to my 360 frame? From pics ive seen the engine mounts look real similar.

I know some good welders if theres only a bit of modding needed. Anyone have some knowledge on this?

·
Registered
687 Posts
like i said on your other thread, yes it's possible. it requires cuts and welds to the frame. i've been talking to a guy who's done it but it's been a while since and unfortunately he doesn't have any photo's. i really like the 360 frames and would love to put a 350 in there.

...connoisseur of slack...

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hmmm. The more i think of this the more i like this idea. Really what i need is pics and measurements of the 350 mounts, so i can compare it to mine. Any contributors?

My buddy's is a 350-Four, or i could use his.

I just put 2 and 2 together tonight and realized Todd Hennington is in Atlanta as well. Does he have a shop? I emailed him since i figure he should be a walking encyclopedia on Cb's, and asked for his suggestions.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
snorklefork: is there anyway i can contact the guy that has done it that you speak of? anything i can get as far as help i will take.

I guess of course my main concern is everything working correctly AFTER the engine is mounted.

Edited by - Matt N on Jan 18 2008 10:53:53 PM

·
Registered
97 Posts
Well, Matt it all depends on how well you did your homework. When you mount the new engine, you need to make it line up with the bike you are putting it on. I've never done the swap, do I don't know th specifics. I'm sure it's possible if you can mount it in the right spot. It's time to bust out the tape measure and the welder to make things line up.

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
there is more than just "a bit" of modding needed - this is serious fab work. you are talking about all new custom mounts front and rear and lining everything up and making the mounts out of metal - if you are not used to doing motorcycle frame work this is a big project.

Matt, running 360 motors are a dime a dozen - what's wrong with just buying a good motor and dropping it into your frame to get your bike back on the road?

the 350 doesn't just have a good engine aftermarket, it has a good chassis aftermarket too which you would be loosing out on if you used the 360 frame. to me there is not enough good qualities about the 360 frame to do all the work to stuff a 350 in it. If you want a 350 go buy a 350 - if you want to work on your 360, work on getting it running again.

if you really want to do the custom work to put in a different engine, then pick a bigger or more modern powerplant like a cb450 motor or an ex500 motor (or gs500). If they fit the frame dimensions then it is the same amount of work as putting a 350 mill in the cradle. A two stroke dirt bike powerplant would be cool too and hella fast (kx250, CR250, YZ 250 etc...), this would be the way I would go.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hear you Geeto. In fact, after a nights worth of research I decided myself that Im going to just rebuild the 360 I have. I figured up that a set of good used cylinders, a good used head (which i may not need if mine cleans up) and a NOS piston set with rings and all will cost me right at $300 shipped to me. So im going to roll with that. I dont feel Im ready for such a job as swapping in the 350 anyways.

Thanks for all the advice, and suggestions. They are much appreciated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts