Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to finish putting my bike back together and can't quite figure out the whole oil filter assembly. What part is considered the "media"? I have the solid basket piece out and the main plate that has the spring loaded piece in it.

What do I do from here?

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I think the CB350 has a centrifugal filter...there is no media. The spinning crankshaft spins the basket, oil flows into basket, heavy particles of contamination get pushed to the outside wall of the basket by centrifugal force (more accurately centripetal force), cleanear oil exits the basket.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
sounds like junk

figure out a way to bypass it and install a quality spin on filter

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
It is a junky system. However, it has apparently worked for years. I have yet to see a 350 engine that has suffered from dirty oil. I have seen plenty that suffered from no oil, but with the bearing set-up they have the centrifugal ( Johnny is right it should be centripital, but Honda uses the other term) oil filtration system works fine. Remember that engine doesn't hold much oil so change it frequently since even clean oil will break down from heat and shearing. Oil is cheaper than parts.

Ken

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
The 175's have the same setup. Works good, removes some very very fine particals, never needs a new filter. Course a spin on filter would be much easier to service.

Big problem with the system is the rotating connection between the filter basket and the side cover oil passages...if that fails....the engine fails within moments.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
92 Posts
yup, mine failed and lost all oil pressure to the top end. I had the beat the cam shaft off the cam bearing because it had just about welded itself to the the bearing.

Here is a video of my bike before I realized I had a MAJOR problem. It's painful to watch....

I agree it works well, but for 2008 technology it's pretty privative.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
it's actually centrifugal force that makes it all happen!

same thing that makes an ignition mechanical advance work

question....... how do you clean it when it gets full?

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Some people could probably get into a pissing match about centripital vs centrifugal. Regardless, the the particulate material is flung to the outer wall of the pinning cylinder and collects there. It is cleaned by removal of the filter and scraping and washing it clean.
It is not hard to hook external lines into the right side cover for an external oil cooler and conceivably for an external oil filter.

Ken

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
it just through me off when i took it all apart and didn't see an obvious accumulation of dirt and debris.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
well if you take them apart and there isn't anything much there.....

seems to me they must not be doing much in the way of filtration

the miserable slingers on pre-70 BMW's will stop solid and stop feed of oil to the rods

ditto on the miserable british sludge traps too

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Ken, I'm on a tiny computer right now..... is all that stuff what your removed from one of the "filters" ?

I'll confess I've never been inside of one and have owned several cb350's

snap me a better shot of that if you would/could/can or feel like it

thanks

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I just realized I was supposed to take the "cup" looking piece off too. The one held on with a lock tab of sorts. Guess I better do it again!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
HackA,
That is just a picture of where you can tap into the sidecover for external oil lines.

Ken

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
There's a notched nut that holds the basket in there. It is held in place by a tabbed washer that you'll have to carefully flatten the tabs on before you use one of these babies to remove the nut:

http://www.cyclepages.com/ProductGroupDisp.aspx?ProductGroupID=4002302

By the way, the basket "cap" does NOT thread into the basket. There are two tabs on the cap (probably already chipped of from a previous owner's failed attempt at cleaning the filter) that make it appear tempting to use a hammer and screwdriver to spin the cap out of there. The cap is in fact just held in with a retaining screw and an o-ring. The easiest way to remove the cap is to 1)remove the phillips head retaining screw, then 2) notice that the cap itself is threaded to accept a larger M8 bolt, which, when threaded into the cap, will bottom out on the notched nut inside the basket and push the cap out.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oh, and after you've got the oil filter access cover off of the engine case, replace those junky-ass soft Honda phillips head screws that held it on with new allen head screws. It will make future cleanings much easier.

In fact, though this particular kit:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200243284089

probably doesn't have the exact type of (bevel head) allen screws referenced above (available at your local fastener center; just take in the old screws for reference), it does have all the bolts necessary to replace the phillips head screws with more reliable allen head bolts.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Oh yeah, one more thing:

When you do re-install the filter access cover, MAKE DAMN SURE you line up the oil passage on the back of the cover with the oil passage on the engine case. The access cover can easily be put on wrong and you'll be blocking a vital oil passage if you do.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts