Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's everyone's plans for the winter? Anyone have anything interesting planned?

Matt (sprinter666) and I are tearing down our GS450's and making them as awesome as possible. The plan is to take them down to the frame and then replacing what's needed, getting everything cleaned up and painted and then putting them back together hopefully in time for when it gets warm again.

Major plans are finding a new motor for Matt's bike or rebuilding the one he has. It's blowing smoke and leaking oil and just not running the way it should. I think it's got something like 78k miles on it, so it's due for some refreshening.

Another big one is we both need new rear shocks and our forks rebuilt. I'm a suspension engineer so this is something that I'm looking forward to, but we're also trying to keep it on a budget. And our bikes has 33mm forks so our options are limited unless we decide to run different forks, which I'm currently considering. But I'm more used to stuff with 4 wheel, so I'm still trying to figure out the best way to valve these, what springs to run in them, etc. If anyone has any input on this I would really appreciate it. Whether it's parts that we should consider or advice on different forks.

The bikes are also going to get completely rewired with new lights and gauges. I just want to clean some things up, and replace all those annoying bullet connectors. And then figure out a nice way to do the turn signals and tail lights, I would like to use LEDs but it depends on time and the budget.

And the last big thing is going to be rear sets. I think we're going to have to design these and have a buddy that works at a machine shop knock them out for us. There isn't much available for these to begin with and they're expensive. I think our only direct fit option is the Raask setup. But those australian ones that are selling on ebay for not too much also look tempting. It might be worth just trying them first on at least one of the bikes and if they suck too badly just redesigning something ourselves. The problem is, based on looking at it the other night, the spot we would want the right foot to be is about the same spot as the rear brake lever for the drum. So I'm thinking a linkage or a weird pedal setup would work, but again, looking for any opinions or advice from the more experienced guys here.

And then just the little stuff, cleaning up the bikes, getting stuff painted, making them look cool, be reliable and keep them fun and not too expensive. So hopefully we can get a lot of what's planned done and won't have to make too many compromises along the way.

We'll be taking pictures throughout the builds and we'll make sure to post them up here.

So what does everyone else have planned?

Tim

www.tipengr.com
Just put the TIP in

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Pretty much the same thing here on the 500 for my girl and my bike as well...both need freshening up.

Lead, follow or get out of the way!

·
Registered
201 Posts
Making rearsets isn't too hard. there are a lot of bikes out there with linkages for the shifter and a million styles of rear brake pedals. if you have a junk yard just go wander around you can find old stuff all the time. my rearsets are going to have '75 cb360, cbr hurricane, '74 cj360, and a few hand made parts on them. But it will all look like it came from the same bike when I'm done. and making stuff yourself and designing it is far more satisfying than bolting on something you bought on ebay that doesn't quite fit right. if you take the time to design it, it will fit and function better than any "universal" crap out there. mine are going to be easy but there will be a little welding involved. don't know if you have one

carpe diem.... seize the carp

·
Registered
896 Posts
i'm building a '63 bonnie chopper, a '71 tiger semi-custom, and a '73 Tiger rat bike... anyone interested in some hondas i got three i need to say good bye to....

Ride Fast and Take Chances

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I'll be hiding out in my basement rec-room with a fire in the fireplace, watching Lord of the Rings with my 3 kids over & over & over, cursing the cold & snow, waiting for a dry warm sunny day in the low 40s so I can run away from all of them pretend I'm actually a real live, breathing grown up man. I'll make numerous trips to the barn with a pint & a smoke, sit on the bikes and make fast motorcycle noises, lean way off the bike & pretend I'm going really, really fast, and curse the cold & snow & darkness, and my children, and that fucking Frodo Baggins & the ring of power & why can't my kids get interested in another fucking movie for a while, and then I'll curse my parents for not raising me in a nice warm state like TX, or AZ where I can ride all year long. I'll make plans to actually ride the shit of my bikes OFTEN as soon as it's spring, not like last year when I planned to ride more but didn't. This year will be different, gonna put lots of miles on the bikes, and then I'll curse the snow & cold some more.

Oh my, it's starting already.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Yeah, my plan is to put another couple thousand miles on my bike before May.

Although I like the idea of winter as a motivator to finish stuff up - guys who live where it snows are lucky because they're forced to take it off the road and that's the perfect time to finish all those little things that annoy you but you don't want to stop riding to fix.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The rear sets don't look like it's going to be that bad. One of our friends sent us his stock stuff from his R6, so last night we were looking at if we could just make them work and it looks like it should be pretty easy. Make a couple mounts, weld to the frame, deal with the shift linkage and brake stuff and then it's done.

The big thing is still the forks and what to do about them.

Judeyramone, the hiding in the warmth does sound like a better idea. But we're working in the small side of Matt's garage with one of those propane fire heaters and it almost gets too warm in there.

And you guys were it's warm all year long are missing out. If it didn't get cold, I wouldn't want to tear stuff apart and rebuild it.

Last night, we got my bike down to the frame, everything is off of it. It only took about 3 hours to go from a full running bike to a couple big piles of pieces. We even took the time to weigh some of the stuff. My bike in running condition, weighed 350lbs. The frame stripped down weighed 30lbs, the motor with everything on it except the exhaust weighed 150lbs. And that's all we really got to weigh. Matt's bike is down to just a frame and a motor, but we're going to leave it on for now, so we can figure out positioning for the rear sets and what other stuff we need to do with them.

Tim

www.tipengr.com
Just put the TIP in

1 - 9 of 9 Posts