Cafe Racer Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
501 Posts
I live on a lake and have run ice bikes on it in the past, but trying to get other locals interested in setting up an ice bike and running with me has proved fruitless, and I'm not interested in hauling mine all over the place, thus I sold it....

BUT!!! I have been able to interest EVERYBODY in ICE LAWN TRACTOR RACING!! Old lawn tractors can be had dirt cheap, I paid $200 for a good running 10hp Cub Cadet. The hp limit will be 10 hp and they must stay stock except for open exhausts and you can unhook the governor and wind it to infinity and beyond. Rear pulley/belt can and will be changed to attain 25 to 30mph and hardware machine screws will be used in the tires, no Kold-Kutters (we want to keep this cheap). A road course will be plowed/marked and the racing will be done in an informal and friendly manner (yeah, right). The only safety feature that will be required will be some kind of shut-off on the tractor if you fall off (most tractors already have a switch under the seat)so we don't run over some ice fisherman. No monies will be paid or collected so we don't have liability issues. Racing starts next year after the first big freeze which will give everybody plenty of time to get ready. This could be fun.

Dgy

· Registered
501 Posts
I live on a lake and have run ice bikes on it in the past, but trying to get other locals interested in setting up an ice bike and running with me has proved fruitless, and I'm not interested in hauling mine all over the place, thus I sold it....

BUT!!! I have been able to interest EVERYBODY in ICE LAWN TRACTOR RACING!! Old lawn tractors can be had dirt cheap, I paid $200 for a good running 10hp Cub Cadet. The hp limit will be 10 hp and they must stay stock except for open exhausts and you can unhook the governor and wind it to infinity and beyond. Rear pulley/belt can and will be changed to attain 25 to 30mph and hardware machine screws will be used in the tires, no Kold-Kutters (we want to keep this cheap). A road course will be plowed/marked and the racing will be done in an informal and friendly manner (yeah, right). The only safety feature that will be required will be some kind of shut-off on the tractor if you fall off (most tractors already have a switch under the seat)so we don't run over some ice fisherman. No monies will be paid or collected so we don't have liability issues. Racing starts next year after the first big freeze which will give everybody plenty of time to get ready. This could be fun.

Dgy

· Registered
501 Posts
I think it's the 1015. It has a 5 speed and is belt drive to the rear wheels so I can gear it up. I talked to a kid who was fooling with his 10 horse, and he said he'd geared it too high initially and his Dad clocked him in the high 40's with his pickup, if you can imagine going that fast on some piece of shit lawn tractor.

Dgy

· Registered
501 Posts
I think it's the 1015. It has a 5 speed and is belt drive to the rear wheels so I can gear it up. I talked to a kid who was fooling with his 10 horse, and he said he'd geared it too high initially and his Dad clocked him in the high 40's with his pickup, if you can imagine going that fast on some piece of shit lawn tractor.

Dgy

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.