Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just riding my bike full time now and I need to get some specific riding gear for winter. I froze today and need some suggestions. I am not going to hook up the stuff for heated gear on my Ninja but as soon as I sell my car I am going to buy another bike for the winter and crusing like a goldwing or silverwing or maybe even a URAL. I am looking for some good gloves, because I'll probably get the heated liners, some warm leather or windproof pants, face masks etc. Anybody have any recommendations?

I have my concerns about these but I hear people who use them really like them, does anybody have any experience?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-MOTORCYCLE-HAND-HANDLE-BAR-WARMER-GLOVE-WINTER-Suzuki-Harely-Honda-/320760226514?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4aaecca2d2

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or maybe heated grip? I don't like this idea because it only warms your palms but mayeb I'm wrong.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I don’t use them, but I do see them on BMWs and dual sport bikes all the time.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I'd check a snowmobile shop - they have a cover that fit over the handle bars that act like outer gloves oven mitts - you stick your hands inside and with regular gloves your hands will much warmer. Depending where you live (I didn't check) if you have snow and salt on the roads, your going to trash your bike - I'd recommend a three wheeler because of the ice and snow..

Checking your first link - that's the kind of oven mitt I was talking about - 19 bucks is a deal as the snowmobile ones are more expensive but are more than likely better made...

I see your in Virgina - I'd still worry about snow and ice...

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, I am in Roanoke, VA. We can get snow so the salt and such is a big enough deal to worry about. My Zx14 will be off duty as soon as I get another one. If I weren't so skinny I'd buy a Goldwing right now. There are several on CL in my town for $1000 - $1500 good running titled shape. I just don't think I can back the 825 pounds up.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the size of the GLW as they are very well balanced and are one of the best riders out there. Aside from being dead nuts reliable they handle very well and are cheap to own. If you can keep a Zx14 up - you would have zero issues with a GLW.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Really? I have never ridden one so I don't really know I was just concerned about the weight being 5'10" 145 pounds. The 14 isnt bad at 550 pounds. I'd love to get one with reverse. I'd be dangerous then.

$1600
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/mcy/2676284163.html

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
heated grips warm whatever is in contact with them, so if only your palms are touching then that is only what will get warm. Personally I actually curl my fingers around the grip and they get just as warm as the my palm.

Make sure your charging system is up to the task, my cb750 had a short and I had to remove them eventually because they caused an already existing fuse popping condition to become worse.

·
Registered
3,449 Posts
A two wheel drive Ural outfit would be pretty cool, it's designed for the frozen tundra :D
Almost anything with a sidecar should be fun and reasonably safe (because of sidecar wheel 'lead' they don't get too tail happy ;))

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
buy a bmw. They have heated seats, heated grips, and plugins for heates suits. I rode one in the middle of 20 degree weather in a t-shirt and jeans and didn't feel uncomfortable. I think the one I rode also had a car style heater that blew hot air at me, or it could have just been the engine.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
BMWs aren't cheap or even really close. I'd love to have one but you can't beat the price of the URAL or Goldwing for utilitarian purposes. Windshield to keep the wind off, GL has enough juice to wire up all sorts of stuff, storage, and comfort on the cheap. I think a 2 wheel drive URAl would be pretty sweet, being able to carry stuff in the side car would be a major plus when no longer having a daily car.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I have a suzuki Vstrom that I use in much the same way...big windshield, hand guards, heated grips, 3 piece luggage and heated vest...I ride down to 40degrees or so. as long as it's not wet/snowy.

you can pick up one of these used for a few grand and they regularly get 70k+ plus on the motors...I've got 32k on mine and it still hasn't even needed new shims for the valves as of my 30k check 3 weeks ago.

about the only thing that's worn out after 30k is the rear shock

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Hippo-hands. Takes the wind off the hands, easier to keep warm. First thing to do is keep your core warm. If the core gets cold, it slows down blood flow to the extremities, making the feet and hands cold. Heated jacket and Hippohands will probably get you through a lot.

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
That is a good deal on an 82 GLW - he didn't list the mileage so I'd give this guy a call and ask - anything below 60K makes it a smoking deal.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Don't be afraid of the Goldwing. I am about your size and ride a HD Ultra Glide year round. Once your moving the bike is fine. Only time you have trouble is if you tip it over.

You should look a Gerbig jacket liner and gloves. Great heated gear for year round riding

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was just waiting for Tex to speak up. What exactly from the rev'it do you suggest?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts