Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a dual disk brake setup that I am going to use on my XS but I also want to run spoke wheels. The setup uses 320mm rotors and I was wondering if this setup would be possible with spoke wheels with out too much flexing in the spokes? Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
227 Posts
If you are asking about the dual 6 piston Sumitomo caliper kit, it won't fit on the spoke wheel. There is not enough clearance on the inside of the wheel and the inner caliper pistons will hit the spokes. It will only fit the factory mag wheels.
The spoke wheel is plenty strong for the kit, but the clearance (or lack of) wont allow it to fit.
DG

The kit shown on a Mag wheel.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I think you are asking a question that may not be possible to answer even if all relevant information is actually supplied

is the wheel strong enough for your un-named 320mm disc brake setup and undisclosed how much of it you have

(my crystal balls are busted but I must wonder are you transplanting a whole front end or trying to stick with the stocker? ect ect ect)

if you put tiny calipers on those 320's it could actually be far less braking force than a stock single disc which is on

some undisclosed and un-named make/model of motorcycle

(refer to crystal balls again and think about how caliper bore(s) and piston count may be useful to know..... hail may as well spill your guts and disclose which master cylinder you intend to use as well)

be a sport and make it possible for people able and willing to help you, to be able to do so

give up the info and it's seldom I see anyone posting for tech help that provides too much relevant information

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hack you can ignore this question as Mr. Fischer has already answered my question as he knows the setup I am talking about. But that sucks I really didn't want to stick with the 19" wheels as finding good tires for them is tough and the 16" has got to go. Anyone know of any good tires for 19" x 1.85"? I believe that's the size.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Finding a 19 inch front tire shouldnt be that hard. Most tire manufacturers still make 19 inch front tire sizes. I like the Bridgestone S11.
I think other Yamaha models may have had a 18 inch front mag wheel. I'm not positive, but check the XS 360,400 the RD models and possibly the "Vision" models.
I've had a XS 360/400 front wheel(I beleive it was an 18 incher)and if memory serves me correctly, it only had 1 side drilled for the brake disc though. I dont remember if it was actually machined for the 2nd disc though.

DG

Usually, with spoke wheel applications, I use a twin 2 piston calipers to clear the spokes.
Shown on a mag, but it fits the spoke wheel also. These mags pictured (pentagram) have the same basic dimenions as the spoke wheel (your kit wont fit these mags either)

Edit:
The XS 400 wheel front mag wheel is 1.60 X 18.
Both rims pictured are rear rims, but I have found the following to be true with the front wheels also.
When looking for a wheel to use, some wheels don’t have the machining needed in the “dish” area of the mag spokes for the calipers. The 1st wheel is a converted RD rear wheel and it doesn’t have the machining to the spoke to make them thin enough for your calipers to fit. It can be told apart from the “machined” wheel by where the spokes meet the outer rim, there is a definite edge.

The 2nd pic is a XS 400 wheel. It has the machining to thin the spokes for clearance of the calipers. The machining on the spokes continues into the rim area and there is no edge where the spoke meets the rim. This is the type of front rim you would need for the clearance of your calipers.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks a lot Fischer. I think I am just going to use the wheels I have and just deal with the 16" out back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts