1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
we need to know amperage requirememnts. most likely 6-3 will work fine. i realize youre only going to run the ove portion and i suppose you could calculate out the amperage needed to only run that, then never use the burners, but youre on yer own there. besides, if youre ging to put in an outlet and box, youre going to bebetter off setting it up so you can run a welder or something else big, safely. its gonna be expensive though.

jc

·
Registered
8,388 Posts
Dude. If you don't know, and you're best source of information is a vintage motorcycle forum, you're screwed.

Talk to the people at HD or Lowes. Some of them actually know what they're doing.

Or you could just get the fattest wire they sell to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Make sure you wire it up so the top burners work. That way you can make a pot of tea while you bake your cakes. I mean bake your powdercoated parts. What good is a stove/oven if you can't make tea on it?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
You're going to want the burners to work so you can heat up parts so bearings drop in and out. And to make a cup of tea.
Ken

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
I think you mean he wants the burners to work so he can make a cup of tea, and to heat up parts.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
so if i'm baking brownies and making a pot of tea at the same time, how many amps would that usually be? i'm thinking i need 8 gauge wire if i'm running it 100 feet or thicker. but this oven doesn't have any lables on it giving me a amp rating.

I asked on caferacer.net cause i know you all bake more often then the other forum i belong to... men-who-love-women-that-hate-men.org

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
at most its a 60 amp if its non com. so youll need a piece of 6-3. with that you cant go wrong i dont think. you could maybe do with smaller, because that takes into consideration everything running on it. so if you only used the oven part, you could use smaller maybe. but bigger is always better here. the distance is important but so the rating.

jc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wouldnt he just need a 6-2. is that 3rd wire in a 6-3 for if you wanted a second swicth on the other side of the room to turn on/off the same curcuit? I ran a 6-2 in my garage for my 220v welder and didnt need that third wire. Just wondering myself incase I ever have to run elec. for a stove?

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
what kind of brownies are you making?

and what kind of tea?

i got questions.

tex

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
sorry, 6-2 w/ground. i confuse them. you need 2 insulated wires, and a bare one.

jc

1 - 12 of 12 Posts