Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realized the other day that I cannot possibly use the stock mounting location for the electric brake switch in conjunction with my rearsets.
Krapfever pointed out that a lot of guys wire it to the front brake. Which makes more sense because you're using that brake more often anyhow... So, anyone care to go into further detail as to how this is achieved? (Oh yeah, this is a cl350 with drum brake).
I thought maybe I could mount the switch to the fork ear like it is in the photo below, and then run a wire/spring to the brake lever?
As always thanks for any insight...

·
Registered
227 Posts
The older front drum brakes usually had a brake light switch built in to the brake cable. Some mid 70's bikes had a brake light switch built into the perch.

DG

·
Registered
227 Posts
The older front drum brakes usually had a brake light switch built in to the brake cable. Some mid 70's bikes had a brake light switch built into the perch.

DG

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Should be pretty easy to fab up a bracket and use rear switch at rear as normal.
Take a look at left side of old BSA/Triumph/Norton/Royal Enfield/et.al
Switch mounted to frame/swing arm, small clamp on brake rod, spring between the two. You could also use a micro switch on fork leg/brake plate/torque arm operated off cable or lever

PJ

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
Should be pretty easy to fab up a bracket and use rear switch at rear as normal.
Take a look at left side of old BSA/Triumph/Norton/Royal Enfield/et.al
Switch mounted to frame/swing arm, small clamp on brake rod, spring between the two. You could also use a micro switch on fork leg/brake plate/torque arm operated off cable or lever

PJ

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I was hoping to avoid fabbing any sort of bracket on the frame, mainly because I can't weld. No equipment, no experience. I'll research the schematics of other models to see how they did it on the front brake, and try to copy that...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was hoping to avoid fabbing any sort of bracket on the frame, mainly because I can't weld. No equipment, no experience. I'll research the schematics of other models to see how they did it on the front brake, and try to copy that...

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
No welding needed, strictly bolt on

PJ

·
Registered
3,475 Posts
No welding needed, strictly bolt on

PJ

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sadly Monday is a no-go, I'll be at work. I'm overdue to stop by the Paddy, I'll add that brake switch to the list. Thanks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sadly Monday is a no-go, I'll be at work. I'm overdue to stop by the Paddy, I'll add that brake switch to the list. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Also, try finding an electric start clutch perch and using it, some have a switch for in gear starting :)

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Also, try finding an electric start clutch perch and using it, some have a switch for in gear starting :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts