Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I am rewiring my dad's bike. Its a '77 XS650. It came with a different ignition switch on it and from the old hacked together harness I can't figure out how to wire it.

It has one black, one red, one brown with a white stripe, and one brown wire that come out of it. It also has three key positions.

I took my multimeter to it to find which circuits were completed and when.

Position #1: no closed circuits

Position #2: the black and red make a closed circuit and the brown with white stripe and the brown make a circuit.

Position #3: the red and the brown make a closed circuit

Ok so the cut down wiring schematic I am using shows one wiring going to the battery through the main fuse. One wire goes to both coils through the kill switch. Then there are two wires that are hooked together and go to the lights and the regulator.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Kyle

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem isn't the diagram it's the fact that I don't know what circuits need to be completed and where to supply power.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The problem is that the ignition switch is wired internally significantly different but I am pretty sure I got it figured out I am just going to feed power into to lines and split one on the way out. Not too tough. Thanks for the help tho.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Hey, I just tidied up a friends '76 XS650 wiring behind the headlight, so I'll review the schematic and get back to you.
The XS has some goofy secondary ground system dealing with the "safety" circuit and a couple relays. I have yet to understand it. Was tempted to disable it, but figured I'd keep my life simple.

NE

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All that has been stripped off this bike. seeing how much the old harness was hacked together I am amazed it ever ran. Hell the fuse was a blown fuse with aluminum foil wrapped around it haha. The only hard part about the ignition is that it has two independent circuits but I got it figured out now I think.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts