Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bench Master mill Looks just like this one but has a light and rotatory table + a vise I think.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Wish I knew how to operate mills and lathes. Talked to the loca Vo Tech high school about adult ed classes, but the only thing they seem to offer is "introduction to flower arranging" and "Get in touch with the inner you" type stuff. I am a hands on learner, don't get a lot of of reading the books.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vo Tech is tough to find now and the major tech schools cost a fortune. I am learning on my own and hoping the school near by me finds a new instructor soon so I can go there. O think there is a horizontal surfacing attachment for these also.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
i think thats worth $300

im on the hunt for a mill and lathe

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
You really need to ask?
A cheap Chinese bench mill is going to cost over a grand.
If it runs and doesn't have any obvious defects, get it before it's gone

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Guy says it runs but needs the ways adjusted. No hurry as its not on the open market.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
nab it if is running smoothly and quietly. learn on wax. no climbing cuts (to begin with anyway). grab a MSC catalog, the big blue book, there is lots of useful info as well as the tooling you will need to get going. good luck and cheers, bcr

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Welcome to the site Rich.

Its just the Benchmaster, I should be going to look at it today. My research so far shows that it is worth between $50 and $400 depending on condition and accessories. Makes me think from his description he is priced right on the spot for this one.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
it has one but it wouldn't fit in my Honda Civic so I have to go back for it. The little little stand its on is very sturdy regardless, there is no sign of movement while running.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
It really would be nice.
I can get away with a 220 line into the garage....dont think i can get a mill down the stairs to my basement.

If something pops up local ill jump on it....that a lathe.

I have a shop smith that i need to clean up and sell to make some room and raise some money for some metal stuff...

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just saw a southbend 10k in pristine shape for $450 with tooling but had to just let it pass as I did not want to have to bother with selling my 10x22 or moving the 10K. The thing was a total steal. If you get a full sized mill it will be costly to have moved unless you have the equipment to do it yourself.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
yeah its to large for me right now.
I do have a access to a truck and trailer that can handle the weight but cant really unload to move it when i get it home.
that and it would take up a TON of space.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
keep a lookout for a rusnok bench mill, nicer than a benchmaster but cost more also, small also tough.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts