Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've read a few forums out there about this topic (not a lot you can find though), and from what I gather there seems to be a good mix of people who would be open to renting their motorcycles out and people who just absolutely wouldn't. As a matter of fact, I found a craigslist posting of a dude who's renting his Harley out. Off the top of my head it sounds like a great idea bc I have two motorcycles and it would be nice to rent one out, but where it gets gray and for others too is the legal, liability and insurance aspect of it. With that said, I'm just curious how people feel about this. Would anyone consider renting their motorcycles or not?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
NFW. Unless they put don't a $30K security deposit. If you believe that renters will take care of the item they're renting you are a complete fool. You as the owner are still liable for anything they do on it.Chances are if THEY screw up they will sue you because surely your bike was the issue. Too many negatives for only a monetary positive and that would be minimal at best.

·
Registered
300 Posts
There is a guy where I live that offers sport touring weekend lesson's which is the safest way of renting bikes because you are present during the whole process and can give people the non-refundable boot if they horse around. He also offers full accommodations for the weekend. But unless you had a a 50 million dollar liability policy then you are screwed. If someone gets a spinal cord injury on your bike and you have a 1 million dollar policy and the judge settles for 10mil, guess what, every pay check you make for the rest of your life will go to that person.

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
Depends what you mean by rent. When I lived in NYC I used to rent my bikes out all the time to production companies for movies, TV, and photoshoots. They usually carry decent ins and if not my classic ins covers it for an extra fee. Having a brother who is a stunt man doesn't hurt either.

renting to a private individual? Not only are you asking for trouble but you clearly do not understand how private motor vehicle insurance works. Also it is illegal.

Fwiw there are motorcycle rental agencies in NYC. If you look how they operate you will understand what is needed to cover your costs (and then it won't make sense for you to do).

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Some people will pimp anything, would you rent your wife out? (possibly, my bikes, no F***** way :cool:)

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
I have at least 9 bike registered and on the road. I would NEVER rent them fir money (except like Geeto if anyone asked) but like dirk said, have no problem w my buddy's taking them out for a ride together . Heck, I can't ride them enough anyway.

But that liability cloud is always there, not only for the rider, but I am more afraid of the person the guy on my bike hits.

Of course my bikes are all little poppers, but tons of fun any way.

Jack

·
Registered
477 Posts
Rent?...hell no!
I would let a close friend ride any one of my bikes, because I know they respect me enough to care for it as if it were their own, but rent to a starnger? Most people don't take care of anything they rent.

Damn, now look what you guys have done!...now I want a Honda Hawk worse than ever! And I wouldn't rent out one of those out ether!

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
Is that expression "drive it like a rental"?

I rented harleys a couPle times in Florida, was like renting a car but a flat tire was $300. It was not cheap.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
The only 'safe' way to do it would be sell the bike to 'renter' with a guaranteed buy back price if returned in good condition.
Probably sets up enough grey area's?

·
Registered
23,302 Posts
The only 'safe' way to do it would be sell the bike to 'renter' with a guaranteed buy back price if returned in good condition.
Probably sets up enough grey area's?
eh...buyer restrictions are a whole 'nother can of worms. basically the law doesn't want to be bothered with any schemes so outside of "right of first refusal" there are few things that are enforceable. Basically if you buy it, you own it, and you can do what you want with it.

Most people who "rent" thier cars peer to peer do so through a company. This company provides insurance and sets up the relationship. There is a good basic article here:
Renting out your own car for cash - Jun. 19, 2012

if you are just going to do this off craigslist, with an ad and inadequate insurance, well there is a word for a person like you and it is usually the opposite of inteligent.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Geeto can ride my '99 Hayabusa as long as he signs something that would release me from any responsibility if he ends up in the ICU. Anyone else - NFW.

I did rent a 1098 my last time in Vegas. Xtreme Motorcycle Rental - Sport Bike Rental in Las Vegas, Nevada Was crazy simple - check license, sign here, swipe credit card, here's the keys to a 160hp bike...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting...been looking at those peer to peer sharing companies that you mentioned Geeto....In particular RelayRides. I would def be more comfortable going through them for sure! THATS IF I DO. Most of the p2p sharing websites I've seen were predominantly cars though...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts