Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,267 Posts
I agree with their new feedback policy. Way too many sellers have an inflated feedback rating because buyers are afraid of retalitory feedback.
Just like any retail outlet (which is what ebay is)...the customer rates the store. If the customer is unsatisfied he should be able to say so without fear of the retailer retaliating in some way. Walmart can't do it, Sears can't...why should ebay sellers be able too. Yeah there are always bad egg customers...everyone knows that. But...when it all shakes out, that 1% of bad customers will be factored in. The onus is on the person making the profit to provide a good service.

There are some unscrupulous sellers out there very worried that their ratings will plunge when people no longer fear their feedback.

Note who is organizing the boycott...not the buyers...it's the people making the profits. That should be a warning flag.
JohnnyB

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
wow!!!!!!!

I had no idea about this.....Shit I just bought something sunday and haven't paid for it yet!!! (Don't worry I will)

I am kinda bummed.....I was hoping to list somethings this month (right around my birthday) because I need to generate some wedding capital....Oh well there is always march.

on the other hand....it might be a way to get some really cheap gear since the competition will be less.

·
Registered
116 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jbranson

I agree with their new feedback policy. Way too many sellers have an inflated feedback rating because buyers are afraid of retalitory feedback.
Just like any retail outlet (which is what ebay is)...the customer rates the store. If the customer is unsatisfied he should be able to say so without fear of the retailer retaliating in some way. Walmart can't do it, Sears can't...why should ebay sellers be able too. Yeah there are always bad egg customers...everyone knows that. But...when it all shakes out, that 1% of bad customers will be factored in. The onus is on the person making the profit to provide a good service.

There are some unscrupulous sellers out there very worried that their ratings will plunge when people no longer fear their feedback.

Note who is organizing the boycott...not the buyers...it's the people making the profits. That should be a warning flag.
JohnnyB
+1

I have first hand experience that some of these guys like to lever the consumers feedback ratings against them even if the seller is in the wrong. Eventually the buyer will agree to leave good feedback for the seller despite a poor experience, to save their own buying reputation.

I have read complaints of some of these sellers who feel that some buyers are unreasonable in their expectations of arrival times, or have other unreasonable expectations, but these are the hazards of being in business. The eBay sellers need to have clear shipping and stocking info on their listings, especially if they use this as their business, just the same as Wal-Mart, Target, etc. If in fact eBay’s cost of selling is too high, and restrictions are excessive, the market (read: Buyers & Sellers) will correct it or replace it.

I don’t use eBay anymore because of sellers like this.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On=line stores can't be compared to Wal-Mart, Sears, Target, etc

Ebay built itself on the back of the small guy like me. Can someone please pull this knife out of my back??

There new Fees hurt the little guy the most !

There has been some talk about Google starting a on-line auction site that will blow FeeBay off the net .

·
Registered
23,303 Posts
Online stores are national, While walmart, target, etc may feel national they are still brick and mortar in a specific state and their consumers are for the most part residents of that state. When something goes wrong at walmart they have many different local ways to handle it (from the regular police to the civil courts) but with an online seller the majority of his customers are scattered throughout the nation and therefore he loses out on the protections that his home state affords him.

I like the old system, never had a problem, and I think ebay is wack forshizzle for these new changes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I think it sucks that eBay has raised their prices, especially for the legitimate sellers who solely operate on the site. But stabbed in the back? That’s a bit dramatic. When you build a business that is so largely dependant on the services of another party, you should be prepared for changes of any nature. I’m sure furniture manufacturers are unhappy when prices are raised on raw materials, but what do they do? They deal with it and pass the percentage increase on to the consumer, generally even more. Or, they look for an alternate supplier. Wasting ones breath complaining about the inevitable, and price hikes are always inevitable, is not an option.

Like I said before, either the market will bear the price increases, or it won’t, and eBay will “get the message” by the reduced amount of business, and no amount of price increases will fix that.

The little guy, assuming you mean me and you, people who don’t gross $8,000 a month, and more (as one retailer announced by expressing his disdain at his monthly $800, or 10%, soon to be 12%, or $960, fees to eBay), who casually sells on auction sites, can just choose to deal with another site, or sell direct to enthusiasts by way of sites like this.

If you’re unhappy with rising prices, complain to elected politicians who continue to help increase the trade deficit for personal financial gains through kickbacks and are contributing to the devaluation of the US dollar. Or, complain to the politicians who keep raising the minimum wage when these actions only lead to employers having to relieve the larger financial burdens by raising their prices, completing negating the reason for the raising wages in the first place.

No one said it was easy being self employed and keeping a business going, and I say that as a self employed business person. I haven’t made profit since March, and the only reason I am able to continue is because my wife helps to contribute to the income.

I'm not trying to lessen impact this makes, or your personal feelings, but it's just business.

·
Registered
306 Posts
i think everybody is right on this subject....yes, the price hikes suck, and yes strikes are cool because they actually can make a difference (mot meaning they actually will), and yes that's business.

i had an idea....would if craigslist started a FREE online auction service...? he already takes so much business away from the corporate dickheads anyway, it would be rad to see him completely DESTROY ebay AND amazon. Also, he seems to be the only dotcom startup guy that HASN'T sold his soul to the devil. seen any corporate sponsored ads on CL lately?

·
Registered
116 Posts
quote:Originally posted by mudmonkey

i had an idea....would if craigslist started a FREE online auction service...? he already takes so much business away from the corporate dickheads anyway, it would be rad to see him completely DESTROY ebay AND amazon. Also, he seems to be the only dotcom startup guy that HASN'T sold his soul to the devil. seen any corporate sponsored ads on CL lately?
I think that would be a great idea and I would love to see that and use the services. But I have a feeling the amount of work it would take to insure a secure trading system that operated properly would be more than a person(s) would be willing to do for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts