Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm restoring a 1968 CL175 K0 and I need a cylinder head with decent valve seats. Good valves/springs would be nice to have, but if just an empty head I can make that work.
I'm hoping with all the ppl putting vert heads on sloper cases for racing/etc theres got to be some good early sloper heads about (fingers-crossed.)
Thanks! - Jon

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Unfortunately the K0 was basically a one year only design, so there are not a whole lot of parts out there. We needed one to replace a head that had been damaged and in the end used a Vert head with some mods. For a stock resto, that's not the best option of course.

160 head shares the port design as a CL175 but wrong shape externally and teh vert 1755 has splayed exhausts, taller ports and different carb angles, so I doubt you could tweak one to look more or less the same. Ours dropped a valve head, so don't cheap out on old valves.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unfortunately the K0 was basically a one year only design, so there are not a whole lot of parts out there. We needed one to replace a head that had been damaged and in the end used a Vert head with some mods. For a stock resto, that's not the best option of course.

160 head shares the port design as a CL175 but wrong shape externally and teh vert 1755 has splayed exhausts, taller ports and different carb angles, so I doubt you could tweak one to look more or less the same. Ours dropped a valve head, so don't cheap out on old valves.
Thank you for the great info. I finally got all the valves out and one cylinder is not too bad but the other is roached and is missing a lot of aluminum to the point it looks like a 200 cc head. And those valve seats are missing big chunks. I'll keep searching and hoping I find one. I had a 160 head and may look at to see what would be involved. Worst case I will use a vert head to get the bike running and driving.
Do you know if vert trans, shift drum & forks and shift shaft will work in sloper cases? It seems a lot of part #s are the same. Looks like vert adds an extra detent.
Thank you!

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Gear shafts, shift forks etc are a straight swap. I think you are right about the detent. I remember there being a difference when we built our race bikes, but I don't recall all the differences. Get a CB200 oil pump piston and have the pump bored to take the larger piston.

If you have to replace valve guides, go with CB200 all round. They have modern design seals. Cb160 has none, cloper has a simple seals on the exhausts and IIRC vert 175 has better seals but not as good as the 200. I want to say that vert and sloper valves are different lengths but I would need to check that to be sure.

If you go with a vert head, get decent vert pistons to match the deeper combustion chambers.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gear shafts, shift forks etc are a straight swap. I think you are right about the detent. I remember there being a difference when we built our race bikes, but I don't recall all the differences. Get a CB200 oil pump piston and have the pump bored to take the larger piston.

If you have to replace valve guides, go with CB200 all round. They have modern design seals. Cb160 has none, cloper has a simple seals on the exhausts and IIRC vert 175 has better seals but not as good as the 200. I want to say that vert and sloper valves are different lengths but I would need to check that to be sure.

If you go with a vert head, get decent vert pistons to match the deeper combustion chambers.
Fantastic info. Thank you!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts