Cafe Racer Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ok, that stuff is still scattered and being dipped as I have time. I'm cleaning a LOT of crap out of my shop and two semi trailers so it will take me a bit to get everything together. I keep thinking I've found the last of it and then, "lookie here" ...... a sack of jets and floats show up.

So I'll keep at it and see what I have that can leave and be easy.

this is the only thing I have to decide on carbs for at this time, thinking the Bings aren't going to go on this one and not only because I don't feel like making up some manifolds that will level them out a bit.

can't decide just yet but leaning towards Mark II Amals even though they don't look right with the rest of the bike. Heck I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to use a twin or single carb head.

I wish I had one more Reece Fish, I'd hang a pair of them on this in a heart beat

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ok, that stuff is still scattered and being dipped as I have time. I'm cleaning a LOT of crap out of my shop and two semi trailers so it will take me a bit to get everything together. I keep thinking I've found the last of it and then, "lookie here" ...... a sack of jets and floats show up.

So I'll keep at it and see what I have that can leave and be easy.

this is the only thing I have to decide on carbs for at this time, thinking the Bings aren't going to go on this one and not only because I don't feel like making up some manifolds that will level them out a bit.

can't decide just yet but leaning towards Mark II Amals even though they don't look right with the rest of the bike. Heck I haven't decided for sure if I'm going to use a twin or single carb head.

I wish I had one more Reece Fish, I'd hang a pair of them on this in a heart beat

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
now as to the side, i don't recall and i will have to check. should know by thursday (bike is at my shop, shop is not my house) but i'm definitely more interested in the VMs. i'd be happy to purchase everything as a lot as well, because it would still be nice to have the 450 carbs tuned properly, but the VM set-up is what i'd rather be running. also, because i am a moron and don't know how to post pics on here, if you'd like to see pictures of the bike, check out www.myspace.com/dreg1. sorry to be a lame-o, but hey; everybody has to be something.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I'll look when I get back over there and see if those bits will swap from one side to the other

those carbs are 35mm, I'm pretty sure I measured right

not sure if the choke plates or bellmouths vary but I'll measure those too

tag me [email protected]

we'll chat about it all

·
Registered
13,809 Posts
dave, next time yer over, ill show you how to post pics.

just remind me. im kinda dumb about it sometimes.

hey, cb350 drags this weekend. kresson street dragway. ya gonna be ready????

jc

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
provided the damn thing wants to kick over, then yes. yes i am. new chain goes on first thing saturday, and then it's on like donkey kong.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
tell me something

are 32mm VM's an improvement, as in HP increase, over the 35mm CV's?

I don't know what the CV's will flow but I'd think quite a bit more than the 32mm VMs

I think the 32mm VMs will flow about 110 cfm and I forgot at how many inches

personally, I really like CV carbs, very easy to tune and greatly self correcting for temp and altitude

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
anything that's a step up from where i am now would be great. i just want something reliable for the street. i'm doing everything i can to keep it kick-only, and don't want to foul plugs endlessly. i don't know which is truly better, just going by what i've heard.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
ok, are the stock CV's 35mm? or is the set I have for a 500?

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
HackA,
I believe that 32 VMs will flow more than 34CVs. CVs seem to be restricted by the butterfly or in some CVs the additional butterfly for the chokes, too. I am also concerned that CVs don't lift the slide fast enough or fully enough for fast throttle response to match the needs of the engine. I suspect that some work could be done to the throttle butterflies to to smooth the airflow at full open throttle but there is a lot of turbulence at partial throttle openings. The VMs are much less turbulent at partial throttle, and free flowing at fully open slide, except for the turbulent areas created by the extension of the needle jet and the underside of the slide.
I am thinking that I am going to replace the modified stock CVs on my 350 with some 30mm VM carbs and see if it breathes better. I can feel at top end on a straight that my power flattens out, I think, due to an inability for the carbs to flow enough.

Ken

21 - 32 of 32 Posts