Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
The place was totally screwed up last night. Threads disappeared, pages missing, what threads were there, showed avatars, but no names, invalid links, password wouldn't work, but same password (stored in the iPad) works fine today. Last night when it didn't work, I tried to change it, but the "forgot password " link was screwed too.

·
Administrator
319 Posts
I'm sorry guys. I really don't know what's going on, though I do see it from time to time, too. This is stuff the office gang will have to figure out, and I've tried to call their attention to it. I'll keep trying.

Neil

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I'm sorry guys. I really don't know what's going on, though I do see it from time to time, too. This is stuff the office gang will have to figure out, and I've tried to call their attention to it. I'll keep trying.

Neil
I assume a lot folks come here to just to lurk and see what the miserable old natives are posting. The natives seem to be posting less and less as time goes by. It's becoming more of a nuisance, so I would assume that trend will accelerate and then the hits will dwindle. As previously mentioned.... good for me because it will encourage me to spend more time in the shop instead of dicking around on here. Is this site not profitable for the owners? If not why don't they just put it/us out of our misery. If I had any sense, I would just start ranting on about the state of the Catholic Church and all those diddlers or about the sausage factories that are running this world..... then you could just punt me out of here.

·
Administrator
319 Posts
Well, from where I sit, there are multiple issues in play here. First, overall, participation on internet forums is dwindling. People prefer the rapid-fire, instant access of social media it seems. That's a mixed bag, in that there's no searchable history on social media. The info one may need may appear quickly for you, but it's just as quickly gone, never to be found again. Forums allow the archiving of such information--even if some folks are resistant to using the search function. I've even had to make this point to the president of a major audio manufacturer I know. He's very present on Facebook, and I genuinely appreciate that; but he's let his participation on his company's forum site suffer...and IMHO, he's of greater value to his customers in the forum. He had to admit I had a valid point. ;) Personally, I still prefer the sense of "community" that these forums foster. We get to somewhat 'know' each other more easily, and I think that connection is valuable. When I first got here as an employee of FF, I ran into several people I used to race with again. It's a relatively small community, and it's nice to be able have this niche to meet up in.

Second, (and I appreciate this in particular) is that, even under ForumFoundry, there are several different third-party platforms in use. This site uses the ubiquitous vBulletin, but others use XenForo and even other platforms. The more platforms in use, the harder it becomes to manage them all. Each has its' own set of unique problems and weaknesses, as well as support options. Add in the various versions of each in use (many haven't been regularly updated to newer versions), and identifying the cause of a particular issue can get a little frustrating. It was tough at times under the relatively smaller footprint that FF had, but it's got to be exponentially more so with the sheer number of sites owned and operated by Vertical Scope. Not making excuses here, just pointing out the realities.

In any case, VS is aware of all these issues, and I believe they're working on ways to make it better for everyone. Don't give up on your friends here yet.

Neil

·
Registered
43 Posts
Well, from where I sit, there are multiple issues in play here. First, overall, participation on internet forums is dwindling. People prefer the rapid-fire, instant access of social media it seems. That's a mixed bag, in that there's no searchable history on social media. The info one may need may appear quickly for you, but it's just as quickly gone, never to be found again. Forums allow the archiving of such information--even if some folks are resistant to using the search function. I've even had to make this point to the president of a major audio manufacturer I know. He's very present on Facebook, and I genuinely appreciate that; but he's let his participation on his company's forum site suffer...and IMHO, he's of greater value to his customers in the forum. He had to admit I had a valid point. ;) Personally, I still prefer the sense of "community" that these forums foster. We get to somewhat 'know' each other more easily, and I think that connection is valuable. When I first got here as an employee of FF, I ran into several people I used to race with again. It's a relatively small community, and it's nice to be able have this niche to meet up in.

Second, (and I appreciate this in particular) is that, even under ForumFoundry, there are several different third-party platforms in use. This site uses the ubiquitous vBulletin, but others use XenForo and even other platforms. The more platforms in use, the harder it becomes to manage them all. Each has its' own set of unique problems and weaknesses, as well as support options. Add in the various versions of each in use (many haven't been regularly updated to newer versions), and identifying the cause of a particular issue can get a little frustrating. It was tough at times under the relatively smaller footprint that FF had, but it's got to be exponentially more so with the sheer number of sites owned and operated by Vertical Scope. Not making excuses here, just pointing out the realities.

In any case, VS is aware of all these issues, and I believe they're working on ways to make it better for everyone. Don't give up on your friends here yet.

Neil
Couldn't agree more Neil.
Although I am only an occasional thread poster (my son started the build post on my Flying Dragon homage and I kept it updated as things progressed) I often look through who's posting what and really appreciate the ability to search for (AND FIND) specific threads. As a naturally lazy bugger, I also appreciate the recent addition of a weekly email with the most popular threads.
Please keep up the good work (Neil) and keep on posting (all of you who have an opinion I'm only too happy to hear.
peter400four

1 - 8 of 8 Posts