Cafe Racer Forum banner

X#@*$!! rearsets and vanishing neutral...

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  krapfever 
#1 ·
Alright so since I put tarozzi rearsets on my 350, neutral completely disappears when she gets warm. I'm SICK as hell of sitting at stoplights hunting for neutral so I can give my wrists a break (clubmans and stiffer clutch springs, d'oh) only to have the light turn green as soon as I find it.

I've got the armatures from the shift rod and the rearset parallel, the linkage connecting the two now has zero flex (been there and dealt with it), running 50w oil, its hot and i'm pissed. Riding in traffic is torture.

I suppose another clutch adjustment wouldn't hurt and I'm wondering if I should maybe reconnect the neutral light....

Honda go sideways!

#4 ·
is it a barnett clutch??? in a cb 350 twin?? if so, we all have that problem. it just clicks from second to first then back to second again right?? you have to use a very light touch and its very vague. i have the same problem on my race bike as do alot of people. ive found if you get it in there while its rolling, its alot easier.

jc

#5 ·
Hate to get too technical...but it might be time to try replacing the shift detent spring.....the spring that pushes the little roller into the notches in the shift plate that attaches to the end of the drum. Problem will be finding an NOS spring.
This spring is what controls how much the bike want's to "find" any particular gear or neutral.
If a person is really sharp they can regrind the profile of the shift plate to make the neutral notch a bit deeper and wider.
JohnnyB

#6 ·
quote:
is it a barnett clutch??? in a cb 350 twin??
Guilty. Race parts on street bikes are way cool.

quote:if so, we all have that problem. it just clicks from second to first then back to second again right?? you have to use a very light touch and its very vague. i have the same problem on my race bike as do alot of people. ive found if you get it in there while its rolling, its alot easier.

jc
Yeah, I know. It's just gone from "vague" (good word choice) to outright stubborn since I put the rearsets on. I'll play around with the linkage some more.

I was feeling needy yesterday.

JB, I got parts motor handy with the cases cracked already. I'm gonna dig around in its guts and see what I can see this afternoon.

Honda go sideways!

#7 ·
hmm....like i said, alot of people have that same exact problem. i dont know what it is. i find myself searching around for neutral on my bike as well as other 350's and have asked around quite a bit about it. definitely a model specific thing for some reason.

beefing up that spring couldnt hurt i s'pose either.

jc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.