Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am headed to Wisconsin next week to visit my brother and his family. My 16 year old nephew picked up an old 1968 Yamaha 250 that needs some "fine tuning" (his words). From how he describes it I think it is an XDS -- did the XDS come as a 250cc? Anyone have any knowledge as to forums or websites dedicated to old XDS? I'd like to find a Clymers for that engine...

Thanks

Yeller'
---
Ask not what the wanker can do for you, but what you can do for your wanker!

Edited by - Pete Casper on Jun 27 2007 12:51:33 PM

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
may be it is a YD250...was the the precursor to the RD?

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Yeller,
Where in WI are you going to be? I am in western WI right off I 94. When are you going to be here?
Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ken: We'll be in the Milwaukee area from July 4th to 15th. I grew up in Bay View (Southside of Milwaukee). Going back to visit with the family and friends and also hit the BMW international rally in West Bend. I also went to school in Madison and spent a lot of time in Adam's Friendship. Where about's do you live?

Pete aka Yeller

Yeller'
---

Edited by - Pete Casper on Jun 28 2007 11:48:37 AM

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Yeller,
I live just north of Menomonie. I don't have any plans to be in the souther part of the state during the time you are here, but you never know. Maybe I can dream up an excuse. I went to high school at Whitefish Bay. I am a north sider, but used to work at a Yamaha dealer in Cudahay.
Too bad you are not going to be here a week later, I am going to race at Brainerd the weekend of the 20th with CRA. I haven't been to Brainerd since 81. I will have an extra cb350 you could race too.
Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Texy,
If you could find the midwest, you could come on out and I would let you ride it too. You probably wouldn't like Brainerd, it is a real track compared to Summit. Long straight with some real fast turns and some tough technical turns too.
Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
quote:
Yeller,
I live just north of Menomonie. I don't have any plans to be in the souther part of the state during the time you are here, but you never know. Maybe I can dream up an excuse. I went to high school at Whitefish Bay. I am a north sider, but used to work at a Yamaha dealer in Cudahay.
Too bad you are not going to be here a week later, I am going to race at Brainerd the weekend of the 20th with CRA. I haven't been to Brainerd since 81. I will have an extra cb350 you could race too.
Ken

AHRMA 412
My brother lives in Cudahy. Did you ever hear the saying, "My friends told me to kiss the girl where it smells, so I took her to Cudahy." I wish I had the vacation to extend my trip. It would be a blast to run Brainerd... I hear it is a blast. T-10 carousal must be a crazed hoot.... sitting between two long straights. I imagine it is all about caring the speed.... good luck and thanks for the offer.

Yeller'
---

Edited by - Pete Casper on Jun 29 2007 08:34:23 AM

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Texy,
Not mean, just cranky. My whole summer is too short, I have to be back in AK July 31. Too busy, I can't make any races at Grattan, Mid-Ohio, Kershaw or Summit. So, now if I want to race at all, I am going to have to go to Brainerd with a bunch of people I don't know yet at a track that isn't really suited to my bikes. I need to get out of AK for sure if I want to go racing more.

On the other hand and completely off topic and maybe nobody cares, but I am going to go to Africa next year to Namibia for a free safari so I bought a new rifle in 375 Ruger. All I need to do is buy my own airplane tickets. The rest is paid for, and the lodge supplies meals and drinks.

Ken

AHRMA 412

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, OCC dudes can kiss my ass! We got this 250 from rust to run in three days. She pulls like a Moo Foo. My brother is pictured on the bike.

If anyone is in need of a CB77, I found a pretty good one for $250.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/pedro_puku/Yamaha250003.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/pedro_puku/Yamaha250002.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t224/pedro_puku/Yamaha250001.jpg

peace!

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
quote:
pete,

is that also in wisconsin? got pictures?

texy
Yeah, same bike. Double post. Just excited to spread the news that we got another vintage bike on the road. These are the only three pictures I got for now. Close ups of bike will be posted soon.

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
pete-

good work and all...congrats and all that. i'm sure he's pleased with your accomplishment, but i'm thinking tex is asking about the CB77.

xott

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Pete
Love to see pictures of the CB77. Mine is coming along, slowly, but hope to have it out soon and always looking for spares.
bfd

·
Registered
504 Posts
quote:
I am headed to Wisconsin next week to visit my brother and his family. My 16 year old nephew picked up an old 1968 Yamaha 250 that needs some "fine tuning" (his words). From how he describes it I think it is an XDS -- did the XDS come as a 250cc? Anyone have any knowledge as to forums or websites dedicated to old XDS? I'd like to find a Clymers for that engine...

Thanks
Yeller'
Pete,
That's a DS5 or DS6.

FC

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Tex - No pictures of the CB77. It is at a place called Milwaukee Cycle, which is about 40 minutes from my brothers. If you are really interested, I could head up that way and take a picture and send it to your email. I am leaving Friday night for NY.

Pete

Yeller'
---

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay, everything is running well, but the clutch does not want to engage. The push lever assembly turns in its seat. Clutch just won't engage. Bike can be driven and shited (without the clutch). Any suggestions. Clutch push rod appears to be working?

Pete

Yeller'
---

·
Premium Member
10,737 Posts
nah, i'm not that interested. i thought it was like across the street at the neighbors....i just wanted to see a pretty bike.

thanks.

tex

1 - 20 of 29 Posts