Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a diaphram for my bike and realized that my petcocks are shot. Before Putting the diaphram in the gas leaked out the side of the bowl on the far left carb, I was told the new petcocks and diaphram will stop this. Is this true? I'm new to mortorcycles, always been into the Subaru Scene but the cafe scene has grabbed me now to.

·
Registered
2,952 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Gas leaking out of the carb overflow is just that: overflow. Why it's overflowing is because more gas is coming into the carb than should be. This could be due in part to a crapped out petcock if it overflows when the valve is in the 'off' position, but would also necessarily imply a failure in the carb itself. Usually the culprit is float height set improperly or float needle worn out.

Petcocks can be rebuilt or replaced, float height can be adjusted, and float needles can be replaced--as can their seats, which may also be worn out.

Check those things, using specs for float height from your shop manual. If you don't have one, get one.

I suggest starting with the carbs. When reassembling the carbs, replace the fuel line with a transparent one and install an inline filter. If you disassemble the carbs, clean them, including the jets and float needle, adjust float height, reassemble them, and still have problems, the needle should probably be replaced.

You should also eventually fix the petcock if it is worn out.

I don't know enough about the XS1100 carb rack to tell you if the diaphragm could have a hand in this problem as well.

Good luck.

PS. Don't say 'cafe scene' anymore. Bad mojo.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts