Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my Cafe in the making, If anyone remembers, I had another one, a black cb650 that I was working on, well that one was sold and I aquired this one. It is a 1980 Yamaha XS1100, Its a little big for a cafe, but I like how fast it is. Here are some pics, enjoy:

I know, the gauges are a little too big, I am looking for smaller ones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya know, I thought about the fairing, but I really don't like the look of them that much, good suggestion though

Yeah that is an AirTech seat, LS6 I think it was.

Tank and Seat are going black this week!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
danteinien, she's big and bad and the motor detail looks great. I've got a guy locally that is looking to flip his xs11, and I'm looking for a buddy of mine, are there any issues with these bikes? any known faults? has parts availability been a hassle? good luck on your project, thanks, bcr

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
bcr- Thanks, yeah the engine and wheel detail took forever! Worth it though.

Known issues- The fuse box is known for going out, not a very good design.
The exhaust rusts really bad, unlss your lucky and live in Arizona lol
1st and 2nd gear have been know to have issues

I didn't have any of these issues with my bike, that is just what I read here: http://www.xs11.com/faq/neglectedxs.shtml

Parts availability- Seems pretty good, I have been able to get Exhaust, carb, valve cover and many other gaskets fairly cheap on Ebay with relatively no searhcing. I got new air filters, brake pads, stailess steel bolt kit, and many other parts easily off ebay and form motorcycle parts sites, like the OldBikeBarn and BikeBandit

Whats he plannin on doing with his xs1100?

·
Registered
3,453 Posts
Looks good. Needs some mufflers.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I recall the first one of those I rode, trans was on it's way to being dead and stinking. I recall thinking "this bike is heavier than my Superglide by at least 75 pounds." But yeah, some fat torque out of them. It's neat, I'm not a fan of the bright red and would opt for lots more black sans red. I'd black out the rest of the engine and the final drive too. Heck, I'd even ditch the chrome unless you have bikini babes that will let you video them chained to it while they make it shine. Are those fork tubes 39 or 42mm? They look 42ish.

I sorta disagree on the mufflers though, thinking it needs only one on the end of a header.

Neat build so far and enjoy it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Needs Mufflers

Yeah, I'm gettin there, doin the exhaust hopefully this weekend. Also may be sprayin the tank and seat....

Oh man, you dont like the red? i really dont like red that much either but i think it looks good, the red and black just go together, The Chrome, c'mon man, Ive only got like 4 peices of chrome! lol, I'll get some chicks to clean it;)

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
post pix of them doing it and I'll call you Mr Breaux SIR! If they are on the girly girl side of womanhood, line the chains with mink.

hey the red comments are just subjective and my nearly worthless personal opinions! I'd probably tell my gal to wipe that shade off her tan body if she showed up with it on her otherwise lovely form and for sure I've been known to help her out of it using a razor sharp Bowie knife.

for sure on rearsets too

but I still think you'd love it more with everything blacked out, no chrome, and maybe a few tasty white or red fine line stripes here and there

so what size are the fork tubes and while you are hopefully measuring things for me, what OD and ID are the head pipes?

I doubt it would be easy to find an off the shelf 4 into 1 for it..... but I'd bet there are many that would come very close to falling right on it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
quote:Originally posted by HackAsaw

post pix of them doing it and I'll call you Mr Breaux SIR! If they are on the girly girl side of womanhood, line the chains with mink.

hey the red comments are just subjective and my nearly worthless personal opinions! I'd probably tell my gal to wipe that shade off her tan body if she showed up with it on her otherwise lovely form and for sure I've been known to help her out of it using a razor sharp Bowie knife.

for sure on rearsets too

but I still think you'd love it more with everything blacked out, no chrome, and maybe a few tasty white or red fine line stripes here and there

so what size are the fork tubes and while you are hopefully measuring things for me, what OD and ID are the head pipes?

I doubt it would be easy to find an off the shelf 4 into 1 for it..... but I'd bet there are many that would come very close to falling right on it.
Jardine and MAC make a 4-1 for it.

Good to see you made it over here Dan.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey, Zman, you made it over from the Ranger/BII world! Don't even get me started on those projects lol, one at a time!!

Yeah, mac and jardine do make a 4-1, but there like 250-400, with the recent purchase of a house, that's a little tough to afford! I just made some custom 4-2 pipes, not the prettiest but nice and loud, cafe style right?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Looks great. I like the clean look too. If your taking votes, I say leave the skull and bones off.

Again, really nice.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Man I bet those pipe howl!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts