Cafe Racer Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,355 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i want to swap out my xs400 specials mag wheels with spokes, they made a spoked version and say the wheels fit no problem. i have even found some on ebay. BUT the spoked rims had drum brakes mine has disk, i don't want to lose the disk brakes. also, would it be okay to buy used spokes from the early eighties, or should i find new hubs, spokes and rims? if its best to find new wheels rather than used, where do i find them? i don't mind threading them or anything, i have worked on bicycle wheels and imagine it cannot be too much more difficult to work with.

sub question, where the hell do i get a headlamp for an 81 xs400? there's nothing in this town. and the local dealer wanted to charge me seventy dollars.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Corey,
My best guess would be an RD350 disk front, you are likely to run into some alignment issues, knowing someone with a lathe who can turn out some spacers would be useful. If your checking account is flush go for the sun rims and stainless spokes laced to the RD hubs. http://www.buchananspokes.com/
That'll triple what you have into the bike. Another good option is to powdercoat the stock cast wheels. My old race bike had that treatment, it was presentable and tough as hell.
Bottom line: measure your stuff accurately (.001) and head to the bone yard and see what'll fit. cheers, bcr

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
I agree, RD350 front although the RD had a drum rear. If you have a bone yard around the rear rim of a XS650 will lace up with the stock RD spokes. A couple of years of the XS650 was an 18" shouldered alloy rim. I had that setup on a racebike years ago and it looked and worked well.

Ken

AHRMA 412
Vintage racing - old guys on old bikes

1 - 3 of 3 Posts